Make up snobbery?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cupcake34

Reaction score
Okay so this Is just one out of curiosity...
So then how many of us makeup lovers would hold our hands up and admit that we are makeup snobs? (if you actually are)
A friend was telling me to purchase a drugstore foundation because it's so amazing, but I'm much more drawn to my premium brands for my foundations,concealers, primers, eyeshadows and mascaras. And it made me think, am I wasting my money on a label, the packaging and am I just being too snobby?

So does anyone have any recommendations for drugstore products, any amazing dupes or do you think you pay for what you get ?

We all like to save money and I'm thinking I could save an absolute fortune but I don't want to comprise quality!

Thoughts would be appreciated :)

I love my higher end cosmetics but I use my fair share if drugstore brands too.
For my personal use I quite like some of the Maybelline foundations.
Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains I love! And the matte ones are brilliant too.
Collection concealer is my favourite one to use.
I also absolutely love Natural Collection Lash Curl mascara black. It's £1.99 and it's the mascara I keep going back to.
I could go on all day haha.

I do feel with some make-up you get what you pay for but in some cases there are less expensive alternatives which are just as good and can sometimes be better.

Interesting thread!

I would hold my hands up and admit it when it comes to foundation! I haven't found any that compare to my beloved Lancome Tient Idole but would love o know if others have a drug store alternative.

I love garnier under eye concealer, borjois and rimmel blushers and rimmel lipglosses. NYC have good eye liners xxx

I love makeup but although I believe you get what you pay for in most things I also feel a lot of makeup labels you just pay for the brand.

I use a mix of brands, from urban decay, illamasqua to body shop and I love the kate moss lipsticks by Rimmel !!

I recently tried a foundation in tesco by a brand called sleek, it was £8ish and I absolutely need it !! They didn't have my shade at the time but i will be purchasing it soon.

I rarely wear foundation and when I do it's a Clinique one at £28, I've been using it for about 9 years roughly, my mum buys me it every Christmas and it lasts me the full year most times.. But as I've started offering makeup in my mobile business I'm using it more and more and I'm trying to find a cheaper one for myself .xx

Im a bit of both! recently i purchased the mua luxe velvet lip colours, i have them all! and without the hefty pricetags... the are amazing dupes of limecrime velvetines. I do love a bargain but then again i dont know where id be without my higher end products, they last ages!!!!! ahhh if only i could buy everything!!!

For me i went on a product course to learn about the ingredients and how to make them. since knowing what i know now, i can understand the differences and how they are made. But i think make up is such a personal artistic taste, you should always buy what you like the looks of! :) xoxo

Im a complete make up snob and have been for years. The only exception is, I love models own lip gloss

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I can be. I work part time after hours at a drug store as a Beauty Advisor and that gives me staff discount. I have to say I am really impressed with some OTC.
Primers are my biggest thing! They are so crucial to any brand makeup lasting and looking good.
I have been using Smashbox 24Hr shaddow primer, it simply does what it says it does.
Lancome's LaBase all over and it is sublime.
I have gotten my hands on Guerlain's Parure de Lumiere foundation and it is smashing. So comfortable, great coverage and people are in awe with my flawless results.
As for the other cheaper OTC I have only tried Maybelline mascara in the pink/green packaging.
But since I have tried PurMinerals Impact and Smashbox Brightening ones I haven't looked back.
I think in most cases you do get what you paid for.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Love this thread! I'm defo a bit of both. I wear a lot of make up and have a big face (my excuse) so love finding a bargain product that works!
I tend to spend a little bit more on foundations and powder I love mac and clarins I usually buy these on payday haha but i also love the photo ready ready range from revlon I have these as emergencies but I think there just as good to be honest! things like mascara eyeliner I tend to just go a little bit cheaper as I wear eyelashes. Rommel and ma xfactor are a few lower brands I love xx

There are some products that have to be "high end" for me and some that don't.

I used to always use either Dior Forever foundation or Estee Lauder double wear but it got too expensive so I switched to Revlon Colorstay and I love it! I've used it for 3 years now. Also as above poster love Collection (2000) concealer and their loose powder.

I mostly use Urban decay eyeshadows but I also like the MUA palettes from Superdrug as I loved the Sin colour from the Naked 1 palette and thought I'd buy their version of the palette and since then I've used about 5 of them just for that 1 colour but at £4 for the palette I don't mind.

I only really like MAC lipsticks, I find drugstore lipsticks to be frosty or glittery and I hate that. And blushers have to be MAC or Nars for me I love how long they last on my face and how long the actual product lasts as you don't need a lot.

I used to be a makeup blogger and always bought the new MAC collections but now I just don't care that much. I don't like their eyeshadows, for the price there is better out there. I LOVE Diorshow mascara too but again think there are good drugstore alternatives.

I love makeup, I drive my husband mad with how long I take over getting ready sometimes as I like to use all my products and experiment.

I was once told by a youthful looking 85 year-old lady to ....

Use a cheap OTC cleanser as it is instantly wiped off your skin.
Spend your money on a good moisturiser as it's absorbed by your skin during the day /night.

I was once told by a youthful looking 85 year-old lady to ....

Use a cheap OTC cleanser as it is instantly wiped off your skin.
Spend your money on a good moisturiser as it's absorbed by your skin during the day /night.

I used to totally agree with this until I saw the skin on a Visia machine. A clients picture was taken and the consultant asked if she used wipes to remove her make up. The client said that yes she did, how can you tell? The consultant said "because the skin should have a healthy smattering of bacteria that helps to protect it. Your skin has none at all"

Wipes are the work of the devil!

I have used Jane Iredale make up for years, and the thought of putting something perfumed on my skin now is abhorrent!

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I used to totally agree with this until I saw the skin on a Visia machine. A clients picture was taken and the consultant asked if she used wipes to remove her make up. The client said that yes she did, how can you tell? The consultant said "because the skin should have a healthy smattering of bacteria that helps to protect it. Your skin has none at all"

Wipes are the work of the devil!

I have used Jane Iredale make up for years, and the thought of putting something perfumed on my skin now is abhorrent!

Vicki x

I would love to have that done! I had terrible acne as a teenager and was put on Roaccutane, the dermatologist also recommended I just used Dove soap to wash my face. Tablets did clear my skin up but I had to come off them due to the hormonal side affects. I've used Dove everysingle day for the past 14 years and I never get spots, dry skin etc. But I'd love to use a Visia machine to see if it's done any harm.

Find your local environ salon. We do one a month and they're completely free!

Vic x

Find your local environ salon. We do one a month and they're completely free!

Vic x

Looks like my nearest is Harvey Nichols, doubt they'll do free consultations :D x

I wear Clinique foundation, powder, lipstick every day. Eyeliner and mascara is from our famous Lynne at The Calla Team.

Really interesting hearing everyone's opinions! Have to admit I really love the rimmel apocalips lipsticks - if that's how you spell them, I found the staying power lasted really well! I find mac lipsticks tend to dry my lips out but I love mac rebel! Anyone else think this about mac lipsticks?

My friends say I am, because I only use Benefit, I have used many different make up brands over the years, Benefit is the one I've found which I really like, that's gives me the look I want.
Personally, I really wouldn't say I was a snob 😐 lol

My friends say I am, because I only use Benefit, I have used many different make up brands over the years, Benefit is the one I've found which I really like, that's gives me the look I want.
Personally, I really wouldn't say I was a snob 😐 lol

I would class benefit as high street not high end.

As an mua I use a massive range of high end and high street products. Over the years I've found what works and what doesn't.

Sent from the catphone

I would class benefit as high street not high end.

As an mua I use a massive range of high end and high street products. Over the years I've found what works and what doesn't.

Sent from the catphone

I completely agree 😊
But my friends think otherwise!

I don't think it really matters, different things work for different people

Some things I buy high end like foundation, powder, blusher and lipsticks are all mac (unless this is classed as high street) but love loreal mascara as I don't think I'd spend too much on a mascara as replace it every six weeks or so. Xx

Latest posts

Back