Make-up where to start????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glamcwtch

Reaction score
I'm near to the end of my nvq level 2 beauty theapy course and can't wait to get started in the real world, my problem is I dont know where to start with make-up I love it and can't wait to offer wedding make-up but I just dont know where to start with the products that I will need. I do have a kit, the eyeshadows are ok but the foundations are really bad, could some one tell which products they find the best or couldn't live without. Is liquid foundation the best as i can mix to get the right shade to each client? Is mineral make-up still ok for weddings,does this offer good coverage??
I also did a Artdeco training day which was ok, has anyone found anything better, I really want to be the best I can.
sorry for all the questions, but really dont know where to start thank god for this site I think I have leant more on here than the last year in college
Thank you again for you time
Helen xx:Grope:

most mua carry different products from different cosmetic brands, i would only use your college kit for practicing with and not on paying clients as the products tend not to have the staying power needed for bridal work

i personally like to use use the following for on my brides :

laura mercier & smashbox primers
chanel pro / vita lumiere foundations
laura mercier & bobbi brown concealers
bobbi brown yellow powder
mac pro and bobbi brown eyeshadows
clinique eyeshadow palettes
bobbi brown gel liners
clarins eyeliner pencils
lancome and dior mascaras
bobbi brown and nars blushers
nars bronzers
mac lip liners
mac and clinique lipsticks
mac and dior lipglosses

feel free to pm me if you need help with the shades for any of the above

go and have a play with the cosmetics in your local dept store, be honest and say that you're trying to build up a kit - many of them will give you samples to try and - great for testing out different foundations, then obviously you should get your industry dicsounts from mac, bb, benefit, screenface etc

HTH

If you will be offering a make-up service you will always get your clients for the products you use i.e MAC and Channel, Bobbi brown etc.

I know many people who have been on make-up training (including myself) and found the courses quite naff i think this is because as women we already know the basis of make up and thats mostly what these courses teach you. The best thing you can do from now is watch video's online and watch techniques, tips and do allot of reading. And most importantly do ALLOT of practice on family and friends.
This is where your creative side needs to come out because only you can make yourself the best you can be not the courses.

Hths x

I'm also just about to offer bridal and special occasion makeup.

I have done the Airbase Airbrush make up course and got the kit and just about to do two Masterclasses up in London in the next two weeks which are taken by David Horne who teaches at the Jemma Kidd School.

Really excited, one masterclass is 'creating the perfect canvas for brides' and the second is 'all about eyes.

Really looking forward to these as you get to learn so many tips and techniques.

Jackie x

I'm also just about to offer bridal and special occasion makeup.

I have done the Airbase Airbrush make up course and got the kit and just about to do two Masterclasses up in London in the next two weeks which are taken by David Horne who teaches at the Jemma Kidd School.

Really excited, one masterclass is 'creating the perfect canvas for brides' and the second is 'all about eyes.

Really looking forward to these as you get to learn so many tips and techniques.

Jackie x

Hi Jackie those courses sound fab have you got a link you can give me please?xxxx

No worries, I will pm you.

jackie x

Make sure you get yourself a Mac Pro card, will save yourself a fortune in products. xx

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me :hug:
Could I just ask Blush how i go about getting industry discounts for Benefit and BB?
And Timeless Tanning those courses do sound Fab could you also pm me a link please
Again thank you all so much, great help:lol:

most mua carry different products from different cosmetic brands, i would only use your college kit for practicing with and not on paying clients as the products tend not to have the staying power needed for bridal work

i personally like to use use the following for on my brides :

laura mercier & smashbox primers
chanel pro / vita lumiere foundations
laura mercier & bobbi brown concealers
bobbi brown yellow powder
mac pro and bobbi brown eyeshadows
clinique eyeshadow palettes
bobbi brown gel liners
clarins eyeliner pencils
lancome and dior mascaras
bobbi brown and nars blushers
nars bronzers
mac lip liners
mac and clinique lipsticks
mac and dior lipglosses

feel free to pm me if you need help with the shades for any of the above

go and have a play with the cosmetics in your local dept store, be honest and say that you're trying to build up a kit - many of them will give you samples to try and - great for testing out different foundations, then obviously you should get your industry dicsounts from mac, bb, benefit, screenface etc

HTH

Hi, a lot of makeup artistes work with one good brand and have just a few hero products from other houses.

If a brand is good enough, has enough colour and depth you should stick to one brand. MUA use department stores when they have no other access to professional products. Over 200 shades of the world's best eyshadows, blendable, the highest pigmentation levels and NOT made in China unlike some of the brand s above. Laura Mercier has a beautiful range and is worth having, at a price. Our products compare at this level for a fraction of the retail price. When you buy at trade prices you are saving a fortune.

Example YSL touche eclat = Artdeco feint touch concealer - same.
YSL £22.50 / Artdeco circa £7. we guarantee the same result or your money back!!! and then you can sell on the product at £14 and make 100% and still save your client money.

If you want to be professional and make money, find a good professional brand, take proper training. I recommend minerals generally for weddings.
Holly Willoughby sported many looks this season on Dancing on Ice that were great for weddings. One brand that works, often works best.

Using CND as a great example here, good products, good training, good price = professionalism, profit and happy customers. it is no different in makeup.

However if you want to play then mix your products, get free samples and offfer your clients a hodge podge and be unable to re-sell at a profit.

Artdeco is currently used at weddings, in spas, in beauty salons, in all good colleges and in television, editorial, advertising and film. having 1600 world class products helps.... :biggrin:

I find that while there are a hand full of brands that are great all-rounders, most do have their strengths and weaknesses when it comes to products, different ethnicities, skin types, ages, occasions etc. There are companies that I love for eye shadows that I wouldn't touch for foundations.

I've also found that my clients appreciate the breadth of my product knowledge and can see that they're getting a completely bespoke service. Yes, I have my faves but I've never used exactly the same brands/products on each person.

I share many of Blush09's recommendations but also love Mac and Laura Mercier foundations and concealers and Urban Decay eyeshadows for more funky, colourful looks.

If you're building a kit and worried about buying a zillion different types of foundations and concealers, don't worry. You can always buy a smaller range of colours and mix them to suit each client.

Hth x

Hi, a lot of makeup artistes work with one good brand and have just a few hero products from other houses.

If a brand is good enough, has enough colour and depth you should stick to one brand. MUA use department stores when they have no other access to professional products. Over 200 shades of the world's best eyshadows, blendable, the highest pigmentation levels and NOT made in China unlike some of the brand s above. Laura Mercier has a beautiful range and is worth having, at a price. Our products compare at this level for a fraction of the retail price. When you buy at trade prices you are saving a fortune.

Example YSL touche eclat = Artdeco feint touch concealer - same.
YSL £22.50 / Artdeco circa £7. we guarantee the same result or your money back!!! and then you can sell on the product at £14 and make 100% and still save your client money.

If you want to be professional and make money, find a good professional brand, take proper training. I recommend minerals generally for weddings.
Holly Willoughby sported many looks this season on Dancing on Ice that were great for weddings. One brand that works, often works best.

Using CND as a great example here, good products, good training, good price = professionalism, profit and happy customers. it is no different in makeup.

However if you want to play then mix your products, get free samples and offfer your clients a hodge podge and be unable to re-sell at a profit.

Artdeco is currently used at weddings, in spas, in beauty salons, in all good colleges and in television, editorial, advertising and film. having 1600 world class products helps.... :biggrin:

Well that's a sales pitch if ever I heard one.

Now I've not used Artdeco products and I'm in no way saying that they are not good but I trained with professional working make-up artists at the top of their game and I have to agree with Blush09.

Anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong but from looking at the Artdeco range it does not appear that you cater for black skin?

Also I'm in a few forums for professional working make-up artists and I've not seen your 'pitch' on any of those sites. I would like to see the response if you posted this on one of those forums?

Well that's a sales pitch if ever I heard one.

Now I've not used Artdeco products and I'm in no way saying that they are not good but I trained with professional working make-up artists at the top of their game and I have to agree with Blush09.

Anyway, forgive me if I'm wrong but from looking at the Artdeco range it does not appear that you cater for black skin?

Also I'm in a few forums for professional working make-up artists and I've not seen your 'pitch' on any of those sites. I would like to see the response if you posted this on one of those forums?

Professional - we won the Royal Television Society Award 2009 for work on Dancing on Ice. We are members of NASMAH, we are registered learner providers,we operate in colleges across the country every day. We take part in advertising shoots, editorial daily, films, thearte and TV.

So I am not sure who is a "professional working make-up artist" if you don't think we are, our celebrity friends may think differently. Since January the English media has written about us over 100 times, try google in different languages for Artdeco cosmetics or Artdeco makeup. We come up number 1 even if you just type Artdeco. So I would hope these professionals have a bigger CV than us before they cast comment upon us. What is more worrying for "working professionals" is if they don't know of Artdeco...... but then I could probably name 100 brands from Europe and America they've never heard of. We run a professional group on linkedin with over 1000 paying professional members from across the world of only the top people. They all know us. every day we have 10-15 applications for membership, if they are lucky 1 has the right credentials to join. So I think we have the right to say we are "working professionals" covering all media!

You can find proof of this at: Artdeco | Facebook , don't take our word for this please research us, I think you will find Artdeco makeup all over google and in 88 countries over it's 25 years.

Black skin - look for the pictures of Alek Wek, Sinitta, Amber Kilirai and Shobna Gulati. Over 1600 products in our ranges which means we cater for everyone, You will find our products in Brazil, China, Japan, India, UAE etc. 88 counties use our products.

I love the chance to tell people all about the world's best kept cosmetic secret! :biggrin:

I love the Art Deco range - absolutely gorgeous however I think the mineral powder foundations are limited. I would love to see some more pale shades (porcelain) and a few darker ones. Will these be on the agenda soon? ;)

The best thing is to try different companies and if you do end up with one professional product like artdeco you can retail as well.

I would love to use a mineral foundation makeup but I can't find one that's good, (I haven't tried artdeco). I'm a liquid foundation and as much as I hate that it blocks your pores and I can't find a foundation that lasts as long or gives enough coverage.

I do bridal, specail occasions, prom and kids make-ups and I use abit of everything. I try to use what I would use and something that last's, especailly with brides, as they are not really going to want to worry about reapply their make-up.

Again, like someone else said about trying different tecniques, I love looking in magazines and seeing what people's make-up looks like and trying out.

I love doing mak-up but at the same time I hate it,,,,, people are so different,,, some are easy and are happy with what you do and others,,, are a pain in the bum,,, when you ask if they have any thing they would like to try, they tell you to do what you want, only to say at the end once you show them in the mirror,,, oh no I was thinking about this or I don't wear that colour,,,, well why didn';t you say so lol.

Good luck and there is no right and wrong you have to feel confided it the make-up you use.

The best thing is to try different companies and if you do end up with one professional product like artdeco you can retail as well.

I would love to use a mineral foundation makeup but I can't find one that's good, (I haven't tried artdeco). I'm a liquid foundation and as much as I hate that it blocks your pores and I can't find a foundation that lasts as long or gives enough coverage.

I do bridal, specail occasions, prom and kids make-ups and I use abit of everything. I try to use what I would use and something that last's, especailly with brides, as they are not really going to want to worry about reapply their make-up.

Again, like someone else said about trying different tecniques, I love looking in magazines and seeing what people's make-up looks like and trying out.

I love doing mak-up but at the same time I hate it,,,,, people are so different,,, some are easy and are happy with what you do and others,,, are a pain in the bum,,, when you ask if they have any thing they would like to try, they tell you to do what you want, only to say at the end once you show them in the mirror,,, oh no I was thinking about this or I don't wear that colour,,,, well why didn';t you say so lol.

Good luck and there is no right and wrong you have to feel confided it the make-up you use.

"Good luck and there is no right and wrong you have to feel confided it the make-up you use." Yup, go along with that!

I hate to say it, but we have the most amazing liquid mineral range.... including mineral foundations with all the advantages of liquid and the best bits about mineral. Ask fro a free, no obligation demo from one of our trainers..0151 421 1234 .end of factual sales pitch ;)

have a look on airebasemakeup.com they use it on gmtv this morning gemma kidd make up school and loads of others it lasts forever not mineral though its sillican based its really good on tv and photos im told i have the system at home as im not a make up artist but i really enjoyed the training etc

Latest posts

Back