Manners

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had someone pm me asking me to write them a list of everything they would need to do to start a business.
When I replied that whilst I was flattered that they considered me knowledgeable enough, I didn't really have the time to write a definitive list.
I added that if they wanted to engage my services as a business adviser I was sure we could come to some arrangement.
Well, the answer I got back was horrendous.
Who the F did I think I was?
What sort of an example was I setting?
Yeah, you think you're the big I AM, well, let me tell you, you're not all that.

:eek:

That goes beyond the realms of bad manners .....straight into a******e territory!!

Sorry now if that sounds bad mannered but for someone to respond to Lynne or any of the others who give sound advice freely is outrageous.
Bad enough to be privately bad mannered through PM but some of the replies to threads are real eye-opener's.
Although sometimes on reflection some bad mannered geeks have the grace to ask to have their posts deleted. Good grace or embarrassment ? one way or the other it is good to think before you hit the ''send'' button.

I have to say that I have freely given what I consider to be excellent advice on this forum (!) and that people are usually really grateful which is fab. Have met some lovely geeks - most of them not in the flesh yet - and occasionally seem to make jokes where people think I'm being rude and they go off on one - please don't lose you sense of humour on here. I also detest text speak and actually ignore a post if it isn't written properly - can't be fagged trying to work it out. I just wish some so and so hadn't saddled me with the name 'Squidgernetball' LOL

Vicki x

But hey computer screens have no feelings, we are not talking to real people with feelings when we demand help or when we report posts or ask for usernames to be changed etc.

Are we not talking to automatic robots - exterminate! exterminate!

Just joking - I too hate bad manners!

I usually say "thank you lord" if the cashpoint gives me money lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Same here lol

Jemima :)

Omg I cannot stand bad manners. When my kids were younger I overheard them telling their mates they'd bought back for tea "my mums really strict on manners so make sure you say please and thank you!". How bad is that that they were having to remind them?! I'm pretty easy going and a fun mum but my kids have been bought up with impeccable manners that always get commented on.

My pet peeve is if I'm out shopping and hold the door open for someone and they don't say thank you. I turn into the Incredible Hulk and shout "thank you!" after them.

I've been sent lots of PMs that I've taken time to respond to or sent emails with info on and never got replies. It's so rude!!

I always say thank you if someone takes the time to respond to me. Even if the answer wasnt the one i wanted.

It's common courtesy. I can't stand bad manners.

Omg I cannot stand bad manners. When my kids were younger I overheard them telling their mates they'd bought back for tea "my mums really strict on manners so make sure you say please and thank you!". How bad is that that they were having to remind them?! I'm pretty easy going and a fun mum but my kids have been bought up with impeccable manners that always get commented on.

My pet peeve is if I'm out shopping and hold the door open for someone and they don't say thank you. I turn into the Incredible Hulk and shout "thank you!" after them.

My little sisters are very polite but lots of kids they used to play with we're very bad mannered! I wasn't that surprised with their lack of manners though after being on a bus and a child (maybe 6) said thank you to the driver as he got off and the mother told him off for saying thank you because 'it's his job don't say that' :-O

Whoa betide any of my kids if they forget their manners! They don't normally as they don't want me showing them up about it ;)
My pet peeve is someone not holding the door open when you're walking towards it, and I have been known to point out the error of their ways lol

My little sisters are very polite but lots of kids they used to play with we're very bad mannered! I wasn't that surprised with their lack of manners though after being on a bus and a child (maybe 6) said thank you to the driver as he got off and the mother told him off for saying thank you because 'it's his job don't say that' :-O

Oh my word that's awful!

Had a few texts this morning from new clients with the usual 'Hi, you got an appointment?' No detail of what they want waxed, when, their name, kiss me a*s* or nothing.

That also got me thinking about when we PM each other on here. It's polite and sensible to put your real name at the end. I feel a bit of a prat replying to the geek name.

Also, I'm sure that I'm not alone in receiving a lot of PM's asking for advice which is great. However, some people never say thank you or goodbye. Once they've got what they wanted, they're off.

So a name and a polite please and thank you would go a long way.

i totally agree Kim, ive instilled manners in my children and expect the same from others!when i reply to texts from clients i always make a point of using correct grammar and saying please and thankyou...hopefully it rubs off!!lol

I have to say aswell i also get alot of Pms asking for advice and they have all come back and thanked and let me know how they are getting on so i must have been lucky there....a few have become good friends of mine also!

I have to confess something that could be construed as bad manners on here.

Over 6 months ago now a geek PMd me asking me to look over her website and give my opinion. I was a bit worried as I am no expert on websites and hate being critical, I did have a quick look and knew it was a pretty good site. However just after that I went through a very busy phase and wasn't here on site very much at all. It did niggle at the back of my mind so I sent a reply apologising and I think I said I would eventually get back to her.....

I didn't :(

With everything else going on I forgot and when I was about the site again My PM box was full so I cleared it and now I can't even remember who it was!

So to this Geek that thinks I was at best being ignorant at worst bad mannered I am really sorry, but I honestly was too busy and preoccupied with other non geek things.

Not everyone checks their PMs regularly though so that is why if you want to know something post it on the Forums, then you get an array of answers you can cherry pick from and everyone else learns too. PMs should be for things very specific to the person you are PMing and not for general consumption.

Also if you receive a rude or aggressive PM then remember just like posts they can be reported to the Mod team.

To be honest, I think on reflection this might be why I sometimes end up being sarcastic in replies to some posts which doesn't really help others, but it's a reaction to the way the OP is acting with others who have replied on threads like that.

"Hi, I have a client in tomorrow morning and I need to do X,Y,Z advanced technique. Tell me what I should use."

"What are your thoughts so far? Maybe we could help if you can tell us where your thinking is at the minute?"

"I was thinking I could do A,B,C or maybe some D,E,F or perhaps some of all of it. But I need to know what to buy. She is in at 11am."

"Hmmm...you could do that but it won't achieve the result she is asking for. Have you ever trained in (insert subject here) or read (insert course book here)? They detail the procedure really well. I read those books and they really do help you to understand the treatment. In the meantime though, for that client I would do 1,2,3 and then 4."

"Ok. I will do that."

------2 weeks later via PM-----

"Hey, I did what you said and the client loved it. I have her sister in tomorrow as a referral who is slightly different, so what would you do on her?"

"Hi, so glad it turned out great for you. Did you get any of those books I recommended for you?"

"No. I didn't have time and I don't like reading. So what would you do?"

"Hmmm...did you look around for any of the courses I recommended?"

"No. Didn't have time. I will at some point though. So what should I do tomorrow?"

^^^^^^

That's an example of stuff that's happened to me quite frequently in the past. It makes me feel like I am being taken for granted.
I only know what I know by taking the time and effort to attend the training courses, and read the books, and watch the DVD's that I am now giving you as a complete list of resources in one bundle (which should save you the time and effort of not only looking for them, but also prevents you spending money or time on the books, DVDs and courses that weren't so good).

If people aren't willing to help themselves or show good manners, it makes me question their passion for their trade and their clients. To this day I am still ordering new books, going on new courses and watching new DVDs. But if people think I am doing that solely to save them the bother and give them the abridged version of every book I ever read via a post or PM without so much as a thanks, well it does get my back up a bit.

Manners cost nothing, and at the library neither do books. ;) Just how I feel I guess.

Ooh don't get me started on bad manners. It drives me mad. A please and thank you costs nothing and I'm always reminding my kids if this.

When I hold a door open for people and they stroll right past without muttering a word bugs the life out if me. Plus when people never say thank you if I'm driving and I've let them pass .

I always say please and thank you :) i have taught my kids to do it, my youngest being only 2, says it EVERY time u give him something (its majorly cute at his age) my eldest being 5 always does it. As everyone has said manners cost nothing......if anything needs to b brought into school lessons at a young age is manner lessons not sex ed! Rant over haha
Thank you for reading 😆

My 5 year old daughter actually told the lady in the shop off yesterday! She dropped her till roll & my girl picked it up and handed it back to her. The woman took it from her and carried on chatting to her friend (lady behind me in que) my daughter suddenly said very very loudly "you are supposed to say thankyou when somebody does something kind. I didnt have to pick it up you know"
I was sooo proud of her, manners go a long way, it is one of my pet hates, and am very very lucky to have children who think the same way.
Oh, and the patronising shop assistant just stared at her and muttered "thanks" :grr:
Leesa

I've been sent lots of PMs that I've taken time to respond to or sent emails with info on and never got replies. It's so rude!!

I always say thank you if someone takes the time to respond to me. Even if the answer wasnt the one i wanted.

It's common courtesy. I can't stand bad manners.
Same here :-/ Victoria x

My 5 year old daughter actually told the lady in the shop off yesterday! She dropped her till roll & my girl picked it up and handed it back to her. The woman took it from her and carried on chatting to her friend (lady behind me in que) my daughter suddenly said very very loudly "you are supposed to say thankyou when somebody does something kind. I didnt have to pick it up you know"
I was sooo proud of her, manners go a long way, it is one of my pet hates, and am very very lucky to have children who think the same way.
Oh, and the patronising shop assistant just stared at her and muttered "thanks" :grr:
Leesa

Aww that's so cute bless her!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Walking back from the shops today and i told my son to put his bottle of juice in the bin, as he did he said "ta" to the bin. I'm so pleased he has manners. x

I always say please and Thankyou. And if I ever message a geek on here asking for help I always say at the beginning I hope you don't mind me messaging/asking you etc. however I messaged a geek on here a while ago and got completely ignored! Xx

Latest posts

Back