Marketing Advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooooo oooooo welcome welcome so happy to read this post and will look forward to reading more of your advice. I must be one of the teeny teeny tiny weeniest fish of them all (at the moment) I work full time in a dull office and evening's and wknd.'s at freelance nails (more treatments to come in the future as things grow ) and having recently relaunched with a unique name I am keen to learn how to market myself to stand out from the crowd and create a real brand/image. You have my audience and I promise to pay attention ;-) xx claire xx

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hi guys and girls!

Here we go for more on our marketing advice thread. I know I have claires attention :) and this will be quite a read so please take your time and if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask me about anything.

Ok so earlier in the thread we discussed some basic misconceptions of marketing, covered briefly how the consumer has evolved and we all realise how small we are in relation to that big marketing budget pool (especially John the amoeba)! So far I have painted a pretty grim picture of how hard promoting your business can be. However, it is very important to face up to the reality of how difficult a task this is so we do not waste our valuable and limited resources. No matter what form of interruption marketing you do (flyering, direct mailing, radio adverts) someone else has much more money to throw at it and therefore will out noise you.

Halls of ivy, you said you were investigating the possibilities of appointing a marketing/PR personnel to join your team. Aside from cost (this can be very expensive), the majority of marketers are still practicing out-dated traditional marketing techniques. This is what they were taught (as was I) and they do not want to lose control. You see the reason we pay for adverts, fliers etc is because we can control the message and we can measure the success. What amazes me is that we continue with these techniques when the hit rates are so low. For example, from a new report that came to me yesterday, facebooks advertising revenue is up 160% year on year. They are now turning over £2 billion per annum through advertising revenue alone and will overtake Google this year. You have all seen Facebook adverts right? Well these give you an incredibly low hit rate of less than 0.1%!! Marketers don't want to lose control even when there activities are largely ineffective. They called these platforms 'social media' when they fail to realise it’s much much more... a social culture (By calling it a media it means they can control it as a platform in terms of advertising). I will go into more detail on this subject later. First though I want us all to rewind, go back to the very basics and talk about brand values.

Ok so whats brand values? Well brand values is basically the soul and heartbeat of your business. Without them you are just a product/service at its bare value i.e just a hairdryer, just a fruit smoothy or just another Salon. Charles Revson, the founder of Revlon, famously said “In the factory, we make lipstick. In the stores, we sell hope”. I couldnt of put it better myself. Though to fully understand brand values lets take a look at something simple, a fruit smoothy.

When Fruit Smoothies first hit the UK they were generally very formal in nature and had a very health consious image. Basically this was seen as a health/fitness drink even though they were filled with preservatives. Three college students, who loved fruit smoothies, decided to give making there own fruit smoothies (just with a blender) and after everyone loving them around the campus, they quit college and gave it a go on their own. Now they had a few issues with the fruit smoothy market. First why did smoothies have to be just for health concious reasons and why could it not be desrable (after all smoothies are tasty!!). Also they did not agree that smoothies should have preservatives and should be 100% naturual and fresh. They clearly identified core brand values as ‘desire/fun, integtrity and honesty’.

From then on every little detail of their brand communicated these values. The writing on the bottle was informal and freindly (and often in local lingo), like chatting to your best freind, their packaging is quirky and made from recycled materials, they have no preservatives and they called themeselves “innocent” that created desire and fun for what was always a health only product. I know you all know innocent smoothies. They are now the biggest brand in the smoothy market turning over £33 million P/A and holding a 66% market share. All because there brand values were clearly outlined and this made them interesting. People talk about interesting! The whole reason brands exist is because the consumer can put their faith within that brand. Innocent has core brand values that the consumer can beleive in! And there staff beleive in it too! Innocent have had the most of the same copy writers for years because they beleive so passionatly about the way innocent tone there communication (on the side of bottles, in newsletters etc). Think how much more beleiveable your brand becomes if your staff love your values and what you stand for!

It doesnt matter what innocent smoothies go on to do from now on they will always be recognised for “honesty, integrity, desire/fun”. Their new veggie pots are another way of marketing their brand values and displays this superbly. Apples Ipad 2 is another way of marketing their ‘design is just as important as the technology’ values or rimmels new lip gloss as a way of communicating ‘London/british Culture’. All these brands offer something much more than just a product/service... An idea.

You see we live in a world that invest in ideas. Thats why twitter (although it doesnt make any money) is so heavily invested in. People like the idea. So now, as I am aware this is quite large, lets get some homework organised. Tell me your clearly outlined brand values. Simple. Oh, and there is one rule; you are not allowed to mention excellent customer service or offering high qaulity products/service. I am guessing thats most of yous snookered :p. People expect this and I will discuss that later. First we need to set the foundations and your core brand values are the foundation of your whole business. Dont worry if you dont have brand values, the majority of you wont. This is why we need to create them now, build the foundations and communicate them across that big pond we are all swimming in.

Then we will, as in Adam Morgans words, ‘eat the big fish’ :green:

Really REALLY interesting concept. You have definately got me thinking.

I would say the "INDIGO" brand (My salons), is about knowledge. We select the most knowledgable people, we research a lot of industry stuff, and we present ourselves as the most "expert". That said, we are not always getting it right, and I for one am soaking up this thread!!
Do you have an opinion in how salons should be thinking/portraying?

I am gripped, and excited to read on!
Fantastic thread thank you
:)

Aside from cost (this can be very expensive), the majority of marketers are still practicing out-dated traditional marketing techniques

Agreed. I've a CIM qualification myself and nothing I learned while getting that qualification was geared to helping me as a small (micro even) business. I rather wish I hadn't done it!

Its all geared towards corporate monstrosities and becoming a very small cog in a very big wheel.

The antithesis of Innocent smoothies was of course Coke in the 80's who's board became utterly paranoid that people preferred the taste of the sweeter Pepsi. So much so that they changed the flavour and almost destroyed the company. Essentially people read it as "we don't care what you like, we'll tell you what you prefer"

People arent stupid, they're sophisticated enough these days to realise when they're being manipulated and marketed at.

However, I'll disagree slighly here, and there are always exceptions to the rule :)

"No matter what form of interruption marketing you do (flyering, direct mailing, radio adverts) someone else has much more money to throw at it and therefore will out noise you."

Not with any clever philosophical debate, but simply because it's worked (that is leaflets) for a salon I own. We kept it VERY local however, as the point about casting our net too wide and getting ignored because (and on this point I very much agree) that the "white-noise" of advertising becomes more deafeaning the further away from your business you try and pitch your message.

Cearly, doing what I do, I'd agree that cultivating a "brand" is paramount, and something every company ought to be doing.

One of my favourite quotes is "A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - and anything you can do to make that "gut feeling" a positive can only be a good thing for your business in my book as it's the emotional and psychological relationship you have with your customers.

Brand aesthetics is what I do (which some people think is the entire brand), the other parts are down to the business owner and her or his staff- and advice from people like Craig- as getting a logo and look-and-feel really should be the tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:
[I

"No matter what form of interruption marketing you do (flyering, direct mailing, radio adverts) someone else has much more money to throw at it and therefore will out noise you."

Not with any clever philosophical debate, but simply because it's worked (that is leaflets) for a salon I own. We kept it VERY local however, as the point about casting our net too wide and getting ignored because (and on this point I very much agree) that the "white-noise" of advertising becomes more deafeaning the further away from your business you try and pitch your message at this "level" of business.

Cearly, doing what I do, I'd agree that cultivating a "brand" is paramount, and something every company ought to be doing.

One of my favourite quotes is "A brand is a person’s gut feeling about a product, service, or company.” - and anything you can do to make that "gut feeling" a positive can only be a good thing for your business in my book!
I kind of disagree. We work on a large area, simply because we have a mindset of a big salon. People come to our salon as a destination, not because they are passing. For example, I work in Bromley but do a huge Sevenoaks contingent. They drive 45 mins to the salon because they feel they get something they can't get "local" although there are more salons in Sevenoaks than Bromley. So I find people WILL travel on a regular basis, if you make it worth the journey, and they percieve they get something special.

What I don't understand is what makes that perception, how do I describe it, and how do I bottle it and make a fortune?:green:

Interesting!!!

So in my case (i do tanning) would my brand vaules be that my solution has 100% natural ingrediets that is kind to your skin etc.

Just seeing if im o the right track :)

Love this thread just posting so I can keep Reading later. Hate it when I read something interesting and can't find it later. (pinched the idea of another geek) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I kind of disagree. We work on a large area, simply because we have a mindset of a big salon. People come to our salon as a destination, not because they are passing. For example, I work in Bromley but do a huge Sevenoaks contingent. They drive 45 mins to the salon because they feel they get something they can't get "local" although there are more salons in Sevenoaks than Bromley. So I find people WILL travel on a regular basis, if you make it worth the journey, and they percieve they get something special.

What I don't understand is what makes that perception, how do I describe it, and how do I bottle it and make a fortune?:green:

I'm not sure what you disagree with there! :)

It's logical to think that the further you cast your net, the more message-competition you'll come up against. That's not to say it can't work.

I was just pointing out that (for our business) we've marketed at a radius of 20 miles and it didnt work, then did the same at a radius of 5 miles and it did work.

Don't get me wrong, we have clients who fly in from Spain to get extensions done, but this was via word of mouth, we didnt market to her.

We're all in different segments, with different business aims and different areas.

One of the problems, I think, is that there are no hard and fast rules. Merely principles.

"What I don't understand is what makes that perception, how do I describe it, and how do I bottle it and make a fortune?"

I'm of a mind that you don't actually physically need to "describe" it, if you're good at what you do it'll happen partially by osmosis. You just need to give it a friendly nudge here and there.

So I find people WILL travel on a regular basis, if you make it worth the journey, and they percieve they get something special.

...and that's what I mean. Clearly thats happening already.

Last edited:
Interesting!!!

So in my case (i do tanning) would my brand vaules be that my solution has 100% natural ingrediets that is kind to your skin etc.

Just seeing if im o the right track :)

Im not sure thats right really. Thats more a product description.

I tend to think (and god knows I could be wrong)- that its what someone would immediately think of your business if you put a gun to their head.

Is it adjectives such as "classy", "knowledgable", "friendly" etc etc.

Or, heaven forbid, it could be negative ones like "snooty", "lazy", "scruffy".

Its your job, I think, to build what you'd like to portray as opposed to what people are thinking. If those two things match up- then you've built an excellent brand.

**Sorry- not my thread- I'll bugger off now!**

Thanks Craig for sharing all your expert knowledge with us!

**Sorry- not my thread- I'll bugger off now!**
Don't go Carl, its good to have your opinion on here too.

So, I think we should all post our THREE WORDS.....what do you think?

Mine is

quirky, out-of-the-box (I put hyphens in so its one word :eek:), natural

Really REALLY interesting concept. You have definately got me thinking.

I would say the "INDIGO" brand (My salons), is about knowledge. We select the most knowledgable people, we research a lot of industry stuff, and we present ourselves as the most "expert". That said, we are not always getting it right, and I for one am soaking up this thread!!
Do you have an opinion in how salons should be thinking/portraying?

Some good responses already =)!

Persionista if you want to build your brand around knowledge and education then that is admirable brand values to have. There is no wrong or right values, just the ones you want to share with the industry and feel passionately about.

If you feel you are not always getting this right then write down your values and create a memory map of everything that is associated with these values. Then start a customer journey from when they walk through your door to receiving the treatment and leave (do this one treatment at a time as often the interactions can vary). Then list all the interactions that the consumer has with your brand during that time (staff interaction, the chair they sit in, the mug they drink from, the magazine they read, the retail products they are shown etc). Now you want to make sure that every step of that journey is communicating your values from the tiniest details. No matter how small it all counts (like a quirky nails fact on a mug, introduce your staff as "this is your style geek for today", you will answer all questions with a brilliant answer, just everything you can think off!). Innovation is key here and your only boundaries are your brand values. Only you will know what is right for your brand and most importantly you!

You want your customer to walk out believing in your brand. They believe in it that much that they cannot wait to tell others of their unique experience. I will go into this in more detail (consumer evangelism and external communication of brand values) though first take your time and clearly identify your values and how you want to communicate these!

Everyone else I will respond to you all as soon as I can. It's great Extensionize (i will get back to your posts) that you are contributing to this thread...the more the merrier!

This has definately got me thinking

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Hi....

Maybe you could do a 'top yen tips' list for us all?! X

Don't go Carl, its good to have your opinion on here too.

So, I think we should all post our THREE WORDS.....what do you think?

Mine is

quirky, out-of-the-box (I put hyphens in so its one word :eek:), natural

Good idea to concentrate the mind by limiting it to 3 words. I'll have a go:
Friendly, inclusive, bespoke
Sounds a bit smug, perhaps, but I've chosen the 3 most positive adjectives.

Love this thread just posting so I can keep Reading later. Hate it when I read something interesting and can't find it later. (pinched the idea of another geek) x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek
OO and I am going to nick it off you now !! LOL XX

So........ my new name is The Fairy Nailmother and my 3 stand out qualities I am striving to be known for is , FUN,PROFESSIONAL,UNIQUE.

The logo that Carl @ Veve worked so hard on portrays the FUN, I use ONLY PROFESSIONAL products and the UNIQUE WILL come in a future element when the plan has completely come together !!

I want to stand out from the many mobile Nail and Beauty business's that are out there, I am working hard on building my business ultimately on word of mouth ( at the moment I also still work full time so don't have the same financial concerns as a lot new businesses, I keep this job in order that I can build a successful business to move over full time in the near future ) . I have many comments that for a treatment, never mind a mobile treatment at home, they have never felt so fussed , pampered and relaxed, after only getting going last Sept I am very proud to hear this and I just want to continue on in this way.

So, as for marketing advice, as said, I am all ears and fairy dust !!

Latest posts

Back