Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pots are due to land tomorrow and will be dispatched to anyone who wants them as soon as possible definitely no later than Friday

:wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2::wink2:

I've just put my order in :needajumpupanddownsmiley: and was wondering if mine would be in the ASAP lists? Please nicely :)

I can't wait to resurrect my old varnishes!

I've just put my order in :needajumpupanddownsmiley: and was wondering if mine would be in the ASAP lists? Please nicely :)

Me too.. Just ordered mine. So excited. I love OPI glitter polishes and can't wait to turn them into gel polishes!

Hey Martin - where are all YOUR pic's on the facebook page? You've done alot of Megamixing, what with trialing Megamix so can we see your results, please? :)

Trying to upload a photo :)

These are my sisters nails done with amazin base Megamix
Gel polish and amaze glaze :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 402
Hey Martin - where are all YOUR pic's on the facebook page? You've done alot of Megamixing, what with trialing Megamix so can we see your results, please? :)
I have uploaded one here for you to see and on facebook :)

All the pots will be dispatched Friday :) and I will ensure that everyones is processed ASAP wink :)

ive just re-done my nails doing the same ... replacing smoothing gel with mm then continued with shellac colour and top coat. With the length im currently wearing my nails are still bendy ... mm is noticeably stronger !!!:biggrin:Really excited and looking forward to seeing how these fair over the next couple of weeks

kx

I've used it on 2 people in place of Brisa lite smoothing gel (before their shellac colour coats) and they've both remarked that their nails definitely feel stronger/harder. Will let you know how they get on.

Just ordered my base and Amazing Glaze. Please be here by Saturday!! I'm doing a pamper party on Sunday and desperately need it. :Scared:

Oh he's a good boy, that Martin. Got my base and glaze in the post today!! I'm a happy bunny. I've got it all now :biggrin: I'll keep mixing.

Is anyone else having problems with chipping on natural nails?? I have tried lots of different ways to make this last and we are only getting 8-10 days wear out of them before chipping begins. I've even tried using a layer of Calgel IZ gel under the mm and then I tried it over the mm. Nothing really seems to be strong enough to stop it from chipping.
When I have used the mm on nail extensions with the IZ gel for strength it works perfectly no chipping and more importantly no lifting!!! I just can't seem to make it strong enough for natural nails which are not very strong. Can anyone help?
When working on very thin very week nails you will struggle to find anything that will work, the paper thin flexibility of the nail means you need to be extra careful.

I would say 8-10 days is good and I would just fill them repairing the chipping etc and then you will benefit from the additional layers of gel.

sometimes the removal and re application can be more traumatic to the super thin nails

As a nail tec you have to asses each and every client and their individual needs.
you may need to look to a prep booster ( primer) perhaps the use of a hard gel or even acrylic to create a more ridged structure.

In the picture I have uploaded of my sisters nails ( which are super paper thin)
I applied IBX Repair and IBX
I then applied a thin scrubbed in layer of Amazin Base
I then applied a second layer of Amazin Baze
I then applied 4 ( very thin) layers of gel polish

I loved how they looked and would have loved to just top coat them but they were still bendy and she would have not made it till tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!never mind next week !!!!!!!!!

So I applied a huge dollop of megamix
I then applied top coat

they then looked a bit clumpy so refined them and then applied another coat of gel polish ( just to cover where I had filed into the colour) and then a top coat.

they are now not going anywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so my advice when working on super thin nails is that you can never apply tooooooo much product, but apply it cleverly ensuring a thin application at the free edge and cuticle and a whole load of strength over the apex.

failing that be very careful in your application

prep rigorously

work on 2 nails at a time ( to avoid shrink back )
cap the free edge
scrub the base coat in
and ensure you have applied enough product :)

hope that helps
martin john

Ok I seriously have issues... I've been dreaming of nails and have awoken at 10 to 1 in the morning with a question... :eek:
Is MM self levelling?
(I think this has come from the gel running into the sidewall post and me reading it before I drifted off)
In my (obv obsessed) dream I was trying to use MM like a gel enhancement application and doing the log and feather effect lol.

Actually that makes my question sound daft now...
But with most gel polishes if you paint on and there is a little brush mark the gel will self fill if left for a few seconds, does that make sense?
Victoria

yes the gel is self levelling
and this is more about viscosity than some technology that has been added to the product

to benefit from the self levelling ability of the product you need to ensure you have used enough of it . ( a bead say for the apex)

to explain

imagine when water falls on a window it creates small little dropplets, these tend to stay separate ( don't level) but when they all come together to create a pool of water (levelling)

:)

ive just re-done my nails doing the same ... replacing smoothing gel with mm then continued with shellac colour and top coat. With the length im currently wearing my nails are still bendy ... mm is noticeably stronger !!!:biggrin:Really excited and looking forward to seeing how these fair over the next couple of weeks

kx
Karen
bendy is good because there is strength in flexibility, it's just about balancing the length with the strength and the flexibility :)

Victoria

yes the gel is self levelling
and this is more about viscosity than some technology that has been added to the product

to benefit from the self levelling ability of the product you need to ensure you have used enough of it . ( a bead say for the apex)

to explain

imagine when water falls on a window it creates small little dropplets, these tend to stay separate ( don't level) but when they all come together to create a pool of water (levelling)

:)

Cheers for the reply.
It makes perfect sense as the only enhancements I do now are Gel :)

Looking forward with having a play when they arrive, I have naked nails in readiness lol.

When working on very thin very week nails you will struggle to find anything that will work, the paper thin flexibility of the nail means you need to be extra careful.

I would say 8-10 days is good and I would just fill them repairing the chipping etc and then you will benefit from the additional layers of gel.

sometimes the removal and re application can be more traumatic to the super thin nails

As a nail tec you have to asses each and every client and their individual needs.
you may need to look to a prep booster ( primer) perhaps the use of a hard gel or even acrylic to create a more ridged structure.

In the picture I have uploaded of my sisters nails ( which are super paper thin)
I applied IBX Repair and IBX
I then applied a thin scrubbed in layer of Amazin Base
I then applied a second layer of Amazin Baze
I then applied 4 ( very thin) layers of gel polish

I loved how they looked and would have loved to just top coat them but they were still bendy and she would have not made it till tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!never mind next week !!!!!!!!!

So I applied a huge dollop of megamix
I then applied top coat

they then looked a bit clumpy so refined them and then applied another coat of gel polish ( just to cover where I had filed into the colour) and then a top coat.

they are now not going anywhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so my advice when working on super thin nails is that you can never apply tooooooo much product, but apply it cleverly ensuring a thin application at the free edge and cuticle and a whole load of strength over the apex.

failing that be very careful in your application

prep rigorously

work on 2 nails at a time ( to avoid shrink back )
cap the free edge
scrub the base coat in
and ensure you have applied enough product :)

hope that helps
martin john

Thanks for the reply Martin, I am really sad to say that unfortunately I don't think this product will work for us in our salon. Our clients are used to Calgel which has super strength without too many layers. I think I'll be there all day if I have to do so many layers especially because I still have a UV lamp. I'm totally gutted as it's such an amazing product and I really want it to work.
My clients already have Calgel to compare this product too and some clients go 3-4 weeks with no chipping so I fear that I will have lots of returning clients complaining that their nails are not lasting as long. Good luck to everyone else. I'd be really interested to know if anyone else finds a good MM sandwich!!!

Thanks for the reply Martin, I am really sad to say that unfortunately I don't think this product will work for us in our salon. Our clients are used to Calgel which has super strength without too many layers. I think I'll be there all day if I have to do so many layers especially because I still have a UV lamp. I'm totally gutted as it's such an amazing product and I really want it to work.
My clients already have Calgel to compare this product too and some clients go 3-4 weeks with no chipping so I fear that I will have lots of returning clients complaining that their nails are not lasting as long. Good luck to everyone else. I'd be really interested to know if anyone else finds a good MM sandwich!!!
Little whiskers

Thank you for your response and i totally hear what you are saying, my sisters nails
Are an extreme case and I wouldn't expect you to do this on clients on a regular
Basis just wanted to demonstrate that it is possible

Calgel is a great product and if your getting great results with it why change

But. Before you totally write off Megamix try it with glitter, this maintains the structural
Integrity of the gel and can be sooooo much fun and way cheaper than your
Calgel as a full glitter finish or to add a glitter finish over colour , for glitter toes for summer

Etc and especially at the end of the year for party season.

Thank you for trying to make it work and I have come to discover with experience you can't
Make everyone happy all of the time, at best I try to make most people happy
Most of the time. But I don't think you are unhappy just find your way is better

Go with what you know and keep me in reserve for that odd occasion someone
Wants a perfect permanent polish match. :)

Just one last thing before I go get LED its worth every penny and once you
Have used it you will wonder how you ever survived without it :) :) :)

Can anyone recommend a led lamp that is not too expensive ?
I would like to use it for mega mix and also ibx treatments,
Thank you geeks
anna :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Can anyone recommend a led lamp that is not too expensive ?
I would like to use it for mega mix and also ibx treatments,
Thank you geeks
anna :confused:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Anna, I got a great little one from Amazon for about £50 in was called Luvilnails. I've only used it for IBX and Shellac colour pops at the moment but it worked fine.

Karaxxx

Used my mega mix for first time today and super impressed! Feels much stronger than shellac or my ibd gels.
Here is what I did
1) Coat of amazing base cure for 1 minute
2) Coat of megamix cure for 2 mins
3) Coat of just gel thin cure for 2 mins
4) 2nd coat of gel thicker cure for 2 mins
5) Amaze glaze top coat cure for 2 mins
6) Nsi cleanse wipe off
7) Added details and top coat again and cure for 2 mins
8) Nsi cleanse wipe off

Loving the finish ;) ignore my manky tan hands! Lol
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1393592011.956682.jpg

Used my mega mix for first time today and super impressed! Feels much stronger than shellac or my ibd gels.
Here is what I did
6) Nsi cleanse wipe off
8) Nsi cleanse wipe off

So you used it as a colour sandwich?
It will be interesting to see how this lasts too as I think I've only read about mixing so far.
Unless I've managed to miss the posts of course :)

So you used it as a colour sandwich?
It will be interesting to see how this lasts too as I think I've only read about mixing so far.
Unless I've managed to miss the posts of course :)

I sure did and I'm very impressed so far as it feels a lot stronger than when I use my ibd just gel base/top coat.
This is more solid as I find the ibd gel system slightly bendable still but this stuff feels really hard. It's literally become a super gel! Lol
Will update week by week as in go ;)

Here is what I did
6) Nsi cleanse wipe off
8) Nsi cleanse wipe off

Loving the finish ;) ignore my manky tan hands! Lol
View attachment 57746

So are you using it in this way to add strength to you gel coat, i.e using structure gel with Gelish? why did you use the base and top coat and not just your regular base and top and just put the mm over the colour? sorry for all the questions, I also thought it was mainly for mixing and i'm confused with the need for the MM base and top if using Gelish? xx

Latest posts

Back