Megamix nails. Create your own gel polish colours with eyeshadows, nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question Martin. I vaguely recall you used ibx under your sisters MM nails. Did you still gently buff the shine off the nail before applying amazing base? (On top of the ibx)
Thanks

Hi everyone,
I don't have a spare Gelish brush or anything at the moment but tried using MM today with a polish and a gel brush I bought from Sally's but it was a disaster. The brush just didn't work, but I can see how amazing MM is even though I didn't get the finished result.

My question is what brush do you use if not a spare one you had?

Martin, are you going to retail brushes?

Thanks x
Nats

I have empty polish bottles with brushes for anyone who has not got a spare brush, recently put them in the shop :)

Martin

Quick question Martin. I vaguely recall you used ibx under your sisters MM nails. Did you still gently buff the shine off the nail before applying amazing base? (On top of the ibx)
Thanks
I cant honestly remember, I'm still trying to get my head around ibx, if i did buff then does that not take the ibx off ?( i cant compute) I know when you wipe the ibx it's like there is nothing there anyway ! or i may have done one had with and one without ( i like to do that when I'm trying things out ) but don't know which one is when when I come to checking the results

Whatever I did they are still on :) but that doesn't help you sorry, I did read the instructions carefully so will have just done what they said.

to buff or not to buff that is the question ?

Hi Natlaw

Do you use megamix polish or pot ? I am thinking about investing to use with the additives 😄

I have both but when mixing with additives I used the pot as easier to get out with a little spatular (the free one that came with the new additives) the mixing pin I got from mega mix is great, I also used the empty pots and empty bottle to apply xx

Nats

I have empty polish bottles with brushes for anyone who has not got a spare brush, recently put them in the shop :)

Martin

The bottles and pots are great, mine came yesterday x

No straight into mega mix x

Thanks, I have it but it looks horrible in the pot so have never used it, but it looks nice on your colorpop :biggrin:

I had a go at mixing, found it easy to do and loved how true to the start polish the final colour was.

However... Trust me to make things difficult for myself, I used it as a smile line colour only and took my time painting with my left hand on myself (doing nail art and all). Anyways, while doing all of this the gel seems to dry out before I had a chance to finish, it became extremely thick and gloopy, it was really hard to apply at this point.

Soooo lesson learned for me... Mix just before use, and don't play about with art before finishing with it ;)

Please excuse my scruffy nails, my full time job isn't kind to my hands :/
View attachment 58709

I found the same thing happened to me, I did some kath kidston nails on myself and the mix I had created went all sticky and gloopy and really hard to apply, its as if the polish was drying out! I kept adding some more mm to thin it. They still look lovely but it was a pain to paint when it went thick! Is there any way to stop this happening Martin? x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I cant honestly remember, I'm still trying to get my head around ibx, if i did buff then does that not take the ibx off ?( i cant compute) I know when you wipe the ibx it's like there is nothing there anyway ! or i may have done one had with and one without ( i like to do that when I'm trying things out ) but don't know which one is when when I come to checking the results

Whatever I did they are still on :) but that doesn't help you sorry, I did read the instructions carefully so will have just done what they said.

to buff or not to buff that is the question ?

Well thats not much blimmin help is it lol ;)

I think ill buff gently. This ibx stuff is really confusing!

Well thats not much blimmin help is it lol ;)

I think ill buff gently. This ibx stuff is really confusing!

Its not confusing :p It doesn't sit on the surface, ibx is INSIDE the nail so when buffing your not removing anything. It will still be there.

I found the same thing happened to me, I did some kath kidston nails on myself and the mix I had created went all sticky and gloopy and really hard to apply, its as if the polish was drying out! I kept adding some more mm to thin it. They still look lovely but it was a pain to paint when it went thick! Is there any way to stop this happening Martin? x

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app
the best way to prevent this is to mix little and often, and in a glass dappen dish or pot ( to minimize the surface area) instead of foil on which it will spread out.

Can I just share here that I mixed my silver holo glitter and didn't want to waste it so wrapped it in the foil I'd mixed it in to see how it was for longevity in the mixed state, its been 11days and its still gel like, it feels a lil thick now but I'm amazed that its not dried out :)

Can I just share here that I mixed my silver holo glitter and didn't want to waste it so wrapped it in the foil I'd mixed it in to see how it was for longevity in the mixed state, its been 11days and its still gel like, it feels a lil thick now but I'm amazed that its not dried out :)
Victoria

Here is the science bit :)

Glitter is fine in a mixed state ( forever !!!!!!!!) because even though it is mixed it is none reactive and remains gel and glitter ( imagine rice krispies with milk) provided it is colour stable however polish and megamix totally intermingle ( imagine coco pops, turns the milk chocolatey ) the gel is fine but the polish part has solvents in it which will evaporate.

I will be traveling from the US to the UK next month. Since Megamix isn't available in the US, I'd like to get it while I'm there. Is there someplace in Newcastle, Durham or London I can buy it?

Megamix can only be ordered online, but perhaps you could have it sent to the hotel you are staying at? If you are staying in one place for a few days, that could work.

Victoria

Here is the science bit :)

Glitter is fine in a mixed state ( forever !!!!!!!!) because even though it is mixed it is none reactive and remains gel and glitter ( imagine rice krispies with milk) provided it is colour stable however polish and megamix totally intermingle ( imagine coco pops, turns the milk chocolatey ) the gel is fine but the polish part has solvents in it which will evaporate.

So MM mixed with addatives should stay fine forever too???...

Just gone to use my megamix topcoat n it's completely solid inside the bottle :-( the lid was on tight I can't understand why this happened has it happened to anyone else? X

Just gone to use my megamix topcoat n it's completely solid inside the bottle :-( the lid was on tight I can't understand why this happened has it happened to anyone else? X

Left it in sunlight and it's cured in the bottle

Gutted wish id have known this :-( Owel live and learn eh x

Gutted wish id have known this :-( Owel live and learn eh x

Will cure and set in sunlight it doesn't even have to be that sunny and also the heat too so be careful

Latest posts

Back