Micro rings help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatieJP

Reaction score
Had my first case study for micro rings yesterday used 5mm silicone lined rings and luxury 1g remy from sjk. I cut all the tips at an angle as shown on my course but struggled to get the Itip through the rings in some cases some of the silicone lining pushed through the top of the ring. Still managed to close each ring and they seem secure but just wondered if this is likely to cause a lot of slippage and what sized rings should I be using as I'm sure this isn't meant to happen?!? Thanks Katie x

Had the same issue..
The bond was too big for the silicone lined ring but fit perfect in one without silicone

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

What did you do? X

You are using the correct size rings for 1g hair.

It just sound as though the i tips have been made a little large.

You can trim them down the sides, but this will tend to open up the adhesive to moisture and is likely to make the tip soggy/mushy.

The other option, though time consuming, is to heat the tips just a little with your heat connector and roll them a little thinner.

5mm rings without the silicone would be easier - but these will tend to be the 'screw thread' type that has the potential to damage clients hair

Ok thank you will the ones I've applied where the silcone has pushed out slightly be likely to slip?

Ok thank you will the ones I've applied where the silcone has pushed out slightly be likely to slip?

I use the silicone lined copper tubes from studio58 & foxy and the silicone does tend to push on which is fine slippage won't happen from that. Just ensue your sections are not too thin/thick and the hair and stick tip is snug in the ring, the tip should not be outside of the ring but rather in line with the top of the ring edge. I wouldn't cut at angle just straight across. The foxy rings are best for 1g strands I find studio58 smaller for use on my providers ST but are probably fine with their own brand

the tip should not be outside of the ring but rather in line with the top of the ring edge.

I was taught to push the itip about 3mm out of the end of the silicone ring.

I have found some 5m micro rings are too small for the 1 gram hair we are using .It depends where we are buying our hair and our rings from, and like you have found the silicone ends up being pushed out of the ring, try another micro ring supplier or email the hair supplier for advice on micro rings

Really by who? The tips shouldbe protected by the rings and futher more the tips sticking out would start to fray,get caught on brush when I grows down and could cause snagging.

Also would probably feel funky when putting in a ponytail against the scalp.. Like poking it lol

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using SalonGeek

Leave about 2-3mm sticking out of the top because it helps with longevity and they wont fray etc if the stick tips are good quality, without the silicone, they may slip lower, it seems as though your stick tips are too wide for your rings x

I was also taught to leave the stick tip out the ring, I was told to put the ring halfway up the stick tip x

I think haleay up the stick tip is too low but I also was taught to leave a tiny bit poking out the top1-2 mm

Omg I had the same problem! I got so annoyed I e-mailed them but its a bit of a pain having to cut them or use heat on them during a fitting, I've never had to do this with any other suppliers. Im glad its not just me :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

How are people getting on with the re fit of the ext after 6-8 weeks? I was taught to either use the same rings and just slide them up the hair but 99% of the time they need a new set of micro rings (silicon) too. I find it's quite had. To get them back through for a second use and get a bit messy as the bond has already been squashed and takes ages! Do you do a row at a time or take them all out wash hair and start again? It takes ages and not cost effective? Just wondered what everyone else does? The course I did was a bit vague?? X

Never use the same rings!! Once opened the strength is compromised. Take it row by row and take that whole row out, brush through the natural hair taking out any knots or matting then refit the row using new rings. If the bond is squashed and won't fit back into the ring you may need to heat it and reroll it!

Never use the same rings!! Once opened the strength is compromised. Take it row by row and take that whole row out, brush through the natural hair taking out any knots or matting then refit the row using new rings. If the bond is squashed and won't fit back into the ring you may need to heat it and reroll it!

Perfect advice :) all though I leave my clients to have a couple of days rest between removal and re fit xx

Perfect advice :) all though I leave my clients to have a couple of days rest between removal and re fit xx

Would you advise same for maintenance appt too?? I was taught to open and move ring up at maintenance but its not always that simple!!
Any tips greatly appreciated.x

Would you advise same for maintenance appt too?? I was taught to open and move ring up at maintenance but its not always that simple!!
Any tips greatly appreciated.x

Your never meant to use the same ring sweet. You shouldn't push it back up either you should apply new ring 😃
Who taught you

Your never meant to use the same ring sweet. You shouldn't push it back up either you should apply new ring 😃
Who taught you

OMG really!!! Thanks for that, so you replace each micro ring at maintenance appt, I am so pleased I found this forum!!
I was taught by belle:-((
Thanks so much I'm new to this but want to be the best I can be!!!x

Latest posts

Back