Minimum Age For Artificial Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if a teenager wants to have enhancerments, even if you say no, they will go else where, they will either go to one of our mma 'friends' down the road or buy the stick on nails from boots, and damage their nails themselves!

i used to buy the stick on nails and i remember trying to blend them in and going thru to my nail bed! OUCH!

i think when kids are at secondary school, they are under real pressure to look good and fit in, i think if the parent is there and agrees then why not do nails on teens!?

either u put on a nice set with no damage to the nail plate, or they will or someone else will and they will damage the nail plate.

teens also are the ones with the disposible income! they will probley get all of their friends to come to you as well.

if their parents conscent to it then why not! were not peircing or tatooing them!

geeg said:
I probably wouldn't go the L/P route though. I would do a light wrap and make it minimal not full strength. Then soak off is a breeze or they can keep filing them down until they grow off.

I quite like this idea although I still think I'll stick to older girls who have a bit more common sense - must say at this stage I have no problems whatsoever with over 16's, I find the majority of them take good care of their hands once they've spent the money on them.

I have been thinking about this subject for most of the day as it's a pet peeve of mine at the moment. I actually overheard one woman say to another (in the Post Office queue where my leaflet is on display) "my daughter went to her and her nails were ruined when they came off, I had to clip them and prise them off, I tell everyone I meet in here about it"! Well Thank You Very Much Bitch!!! I'm not one for confrontation so never said anything (ok, I'm a coward!) and I'm not sure which mum it was, but all of them have been told about the free removal and mini manicure etc.

Where I live, everyone knows everyone else ('cept me cos I'm new and a bloody Brit!) and I have to avoid as much negative word of mouth as possible, and if letting these young girls go give another nail tech the money but also the bad mouthing afterwards is the only way for me to do it, then I'm happy doing that. I get plenty of good 'word of mouth' business and don't want to spend my time fighting off angry mothers who seem to have less sense than their children when it comes to nail care.

I think we all have to judge which way is best for us - some people might enjoy the challenge of getting a youngster in regularly, I personally 'do nails' mainly for enjoyment these days and dont want or need the hassle that can accompany some clients.

Certainly going to give the wrap idea some thought for the ones I know don't want them 'full time'. I had also thought about asking for a refundable deposit to make sure the youngsters DID return for their free removal - this might make the little buggers come back before they've mangled their fingernails! ;)

That's really awful about that mother bad-mouthing you in the post office. It's bad enough people who refuse to take the advice given to them but then to blame you for their self-inflicted injuries....!

Working on my 'menu' at the moment, although I can't see that I'll be operational much before Christmas. (Intending trying to do a set a day as practise both on Harold, my nail trainer, and my mum and sister and boyfriend, if I can hold him down... do you think 100 sets is enough before I let myself loose on clients? Although I guess it all depends how well I'm doing - it might be much more than that!).
I was considering offering a set of services not exclusively for, but geared towards, under 16s. For example, a 'Fruit Fresh & File' - I was going to buy some of the scented files in Ellisons, and then use them along with minimal cuticle work, shape, paint, and mini hand massage, and give them the file to take home at the end. It's slightly gimmicky, I know....
Also, how well would the '2 week' airbrushed nails from Nail Order work for those who can't take the maintenance, or only want them for an occassion? Along with a big disclaimer about damage done when nails are not removed professionally, and maybe something they should sign to say they've taken in what you said... Maybe if they put their name to it, and took a copy home, they wouldn't be so quick to want to just pull them off themselves!

Whilst I agree that it is up to the parents what their children are allowed to do, I personally find the majority of under 16s a pain in the butt. They are so unreliable (one girl didn't make her appt so we phoned her and said she had a hangover - AT 14, what is the world coming to - think I'm getting old), and don't look after their nails as they should - mind you quite a few adults are like this too lol!

So we try to discourage girls who are still at school from having them - if we do then we run through all the after care with both parent and child and get a commitment from BOTH to look after them.

Hi bimbogeri,

I'd say you will know when you are ready to work on clients, it doesn't always take an amount of sets to be ready, you will need to get a good feel for your chosen product and there will be alot of trial and error before you can feel 100% happy and confident to go forth and produce good nails, I personally started on clients wayyyy too soon and it severely knocked my confidence when clients came back due to lifting or missing nails, I gave myself a break, chose a new product (Creative in my case) and practised ALOT before feeling confident enough to start again. I think the only advice I can give you is don't try to run before you can walk like I did, you only get one shot at your reputation as a new nail tech in town and it's hard to undo bad word of mouth. J xx

TRISHA!!!! :D

(Geeks, Trish is one of the original 'doyens' of this industry who helped make this industry a better place)

I am unsure that an under 16 is subject to an 'assult' but anything more than a simple manicure should have written parental concent. If things go wrong (through the fault of the minor) there will be instances where the parents will seriously kick up (we so much of this happening in schools where a teachers has repremanded a child)

Better to be safe than sorry I feel. If you are uncomfortable, don't do it otherwise get the permission that includes acceptance and agreement with all aftercare advice.

Marian
xxxx

I'm not a mother but i have a 15 year old neice who i'm very close to and if she came home with nail extentions on there would be hell to pay!

If there is a special occasion then i will let her wear temopary nail extentions and thats at a push!

There is so much pressure from society for people to look a certian way wear certain clothes etc why can't we just let children be children.

I am totally against the attitude of "i wouldn't turn the buisness away"! what you need to think about is would you be happy if your child came home with nail extentions on?

I bet most youngsters have asked there parents and they have said no and they have just had them done anyway so i think parental consent is very important.

This is a tricky one ......
Well we are talking enhancements her, not tattoos of skull and crossbones on the body.................
not body piercing , which yes can be classed as an assult on a minor...if they are under 16 and the parents want to press charges..........
these types of treatment involve breaking the skin and are invasive to the body.......
How many wouldn't bat an eyelid if a young girl of 13 or 14 wanted to have her hair highlighted ????? Streaked or coloured, even if it is a tint lol...........
How many Mums take their young baby girls to have their ear pierced and the baby's don't even get the chance to say....no mum don't let them do that to me !!!!!!

Now here is my view:

If I had a teenage girl come to me and ask for enhancements for a prom or wedding or anything special, would I do it..........Yes, with parental consent, without it no way.............
Because any teenager that is set on having their nails enhanced will do so, if I don't so it, you can bet the salon next door will ............
If I do it I know, there will be no nail plate damage, she will get Fabric# enhancements and not L&P.............
Her parent will sign the consent form and on this it states as it does on any of my client record cards, that I will not be responsible for them after she has left my care.......
We go through the client consultation card, step by step..lifestyle, activies, medical yes the whole grown up scenario...........

It also states clearly on my record cards that enhancement removal should be done by me or another qualified Technician................She will also receive an aftercare leaflet............

I have success story's too..........
Girl 13 severe nail biter and a shy sort of girl............
Well her mum begged me to do her nails as she was to be a bridesmaid for her sister wedding...........So I did them, a real labour of love it was too.........
Did her sisters to..........
Ok the 13 year old, looked after her nails and is now a 15year old with the best kept nails for miles........beats some of my mature ladies for sure.....solar oils them, doesn't pick, does not use them as a tool......they are kept nice a neat and active length........ level with the free edge..........Oh and did I mention she is a confident 15 year old that does now use her hands an awefull lot when she talks...............

Her big sister,def not a teenager, nope bit them off before you could say................... pass me the file and buffer chuck!!!!!!! So the moral of the story is............. Judge each case individually......parental consent........not every 13 or 14 year old is the same.......... some actually behave more like grown ups ,then the grown ups do or should do...................

Could you imagine if I had said no .......... they would have gone the MMA and drill route............. They where ten a penny here in East London a couple of years ago.......

JMHO xxxxx

Latest posts

Back