Minimum Age For Artificial Nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tricia crooks

Reaction score
I have been working with Tourists these past 4 monthsand I wish for us to discuss a worry I have had.
Many young girls ,The youngest I saw was 10years old!! have been arriving here on Greek shores for their holidays sporting false nails.
My own rule has been No Nails for the under 16s.This is the age of consent and I always understood that any application under this age could be said to be assault on a minor.
How do you guys feel about this
Tricia

Its a difficult one and I know an issue which has been discussed on the board. On one hand, it is nice to see youngsters look after themselves, but on another, its good to prolong childhood. I think 16 is too high.

10 years old is far too young I think, I wouldn't let my daughter wear them and she's 11. Kids at that age are still playing games outdoors etc, imagine one of those nails being ripped off or caught it could damage their natural nail for life.

Are we turning our kids into barbies?

Deb379

16 definitely, the last thing I want is an angry mother knocking on my door because her young lassy has damaged her natural nails doing whatever 10/11/12 etc year olds do now (ooo I'm sooo old!) J xx

I think around 14 is ok personally, although parents permission is needed. I wouldnt object if my daughter had hers done at this age, most of them are really young ladies by then anyhow wearing make up etc - even seen a few with belly buttons pierced! or worse......... Saw a young girl today in school uniform who looked about 7 months pregnant!!!!! now THATS too young!! lol x

I think that once they reach 13 its ok with parental consent. My daughter as been wearing gel nails since she was 12 and she really has never had any problems. Teenages like to look nice and take care of their apperance which I think gromming early sets up clients for the future.
JMO

i agree that 13 is not an unreasonable age to have enhancements done with parental consent and both parties understanding home care.
rather a proffessional doing these girls nails than them buying the stick on nails which cause damage and are so unhygienic to their nails.
as long as they are kept short say no longer than the tip of their finger then why not

I dont think its up to us to decide for the parents what age their kids can have enhancements (although 10 does seem a bit ridiculous to me!). If the parent is happy to sign a consent form and come with their child then who are we to stop them?

I would say that 10 is too young. Also each person should be assessed on their own merits. I know some 12 year olds who would look after their nails so i wouldn't hesitate as long as i had parental consent. Others that obviously don't look after their nails i would have to say no. I have done a 14 yr old with mums consent, but after two days, had biten them off causing untold damage to her nails, so i point blankly refused to do them again, but suggested what to do to get them looking good with manicures.

I now advertise 'Over 16's only'. This is due to the amount of younger girls I get phoning me asking for enhancements - took a booking for 4 people the other day, only to find that 2 of them were under 15 and the remaining 2 were almost 16. I offered to do them with a note from their parents (and a telephone number from each so I could check on them!), but they've not phoned back so I guess they don't like my terms!

I have done two 14 year olds because their mothers begged me to, but I find youngsters (at least the youngsters I have seen) are horrible little nail biters with cuticles from hell - so I'd rather not do them anyway! :p

I reckon they should be encouraged to have a good manicure, with polish if they are allowed (schools don't usually allow it).

Whilst talking about nails on youngsters what's the feeling about 11/12 yr olds having their legs waxed!

Deb379

Deb379 said:
I reckon they should be encouraged to have a good manicure, with polish if they are allowed (schools don't usually allow it).

Whilst talking about nails on youngsters what's the feeling about 11/12 yr olds having their legs waxed!

Deb379
I personally wont do anybody under the age of 16, i have in the past and find after 2 days they have dropped off, when they have come back they have ripped them off, i do find that when they are at school they are playing games such as netball, hocky and rounders they damage them and i dont want to be responsible for any damage because at the end of the day they allways blame the tech, also hat about insurance??? would you be covered for under 16's?

Regards waxing!! my 13yr old neice is quite hairy and started puberty at the age of 9 (like her mum) and she has been made fun of t school, so her mum has tried hair removal creams and shaving!! She then tried waxing and she was fine and is going to have it done on a regular basis, she feels sar more confident now.

Amanda

Deb379 said:

Deb379

I agree. I have offered this to the young girls I have had here but none were interested. I also offered to remove the enhancements for free as I knew they weren't going to keep up the maintenance - I stressed just how important it was to have them removed properly, stressed even more that they wouldn't have to pay for the service, yet did I see them? Not one of them has ever come back for a proper removal and I can just see their mum's saying "oh those false nails just ruin yer own natural nails" - even though their little darling's nails were in bits in the first place! Maybe it's just the kids in my area, but they can go to someone else in future!

JackieMc said:
I agree. I have offered this to the young girls I have had here but none were interested. I also offered to remove the enhancements for free as I knew they weren't going to keep up the maintenance - I stressed just how important it was to have them removed properly, stressed even more that they wouldn't have to pay for the service, yet did I see them? Not one of them has ever come back for a proper removal and I can just see their mum's saying "oh those false nails just ruin yer own natural nails" - even though their little darling's nails were in bits in the first place! Maybe it's just the kids in my area, but they can go to someone else in future!
I have to say that yongsters are potentially as huge market and it's not my business to be making decisions that are rightfully the parent's to make.

Teenage nails is very good business, and if the child bites them off then that is their problem. My business is to do nails on anyone who wants them (with parental consent) no matter what their age or how I personally feel about it.
I would discuss the pit falls and the 'might happens' during the consultation, but I certainly would not turn down business that will make my business better.

personally i would feel very irresponsible, parental consent or not, putting nail enhancements on a child under 14...i wouldnt do it and 16 and over is preferable...just my opinion

geeg said:
I have to say that yongsters are potentially as huge market and it's not my business to be making decisions that are rightfully the parent's to make.

Teenage nails is very good business, and if the child bites them off then that is their problem. My business is to do nails on anyone who wants them (with parental consent) no matter what their age or how I personally feel about it.
I would discuss the pit falls and the 'might happens' during the consultation, but I certainly would not turn down business that will make my business better.

I understand what you're saying Geeg, maybe I have just had bad experiences to date with the younger generation in my area. I realise they could be my clients of the future, but the young girls I have had dealings with so far have just wanted a 'one off' set of nails for a particular function and have not been interested in any kind of further maintenance. As previously mentioned, I have told them over and over throughout the service that they must have them removed professionally, and, while I normally charge for this service, because they are so young I will remove them for free and include and mini manicure - I have even tried to tempt them back by offerring free crystal tattoos and/or mini polishes. I have phoned their mothers and told them the same, free removal and free gift for being good and having them removed properly. None of them have ever come back!! I have phoned each mother after a week to see if eveything is ok with the nails and to remind them that in a week or so they should either come in for maintenance or removal and they say "yes, of course" on the phone - nothing!

Over here, you get the mums going all out for things like 'First Holy Communion' and 'First Confirmation' and the girls get dressed up like beauty queens - the dresses cost a fortune and they get hair and nails to match, but they dont want to keep the nails, just want them short term. I've tried offering 'temp' nails - no, they want the 'real' thing, but they dont want the responsibility that comes with it (I'm beginning to sound like that advert.... a puppy is for life, not just for christmas!). My point being, at certain times of the year nail techs over here will get inundated by kids (I've had them as young as 9 approach me) wanting a full set, but with no intention of looking after their nails either now or in the near future. And while they may become future clients, it's their mum's and their mum's friends I am aiming to have as clients right now and it's them that are seeing the state of their daughters natural nails after the little darling has bitten/picked/ prised/chewed off my lovingly applied enhancments and it will be them slagging me off to everyone telling them not to come to me as I ruined their daughters nails. So that's my reason for attempting to stick with over 16's, I'd prefer to have adult clients that are willing to meet me half way when it comes to looking after their nails, clients do after all, have to take some kind of responsibility for their nails, we can't be expected to perform miracles completely by ourselves, and I find it much easier to look sternly at an adult client when interrogating her about her use (or lack) of solar oil..... kids just burst into tears! ;)

16 and over, full stop and no exceptions without or without parents consent, presence, IMO

My children would not be allowed any pearcings or enchancements of any kind unitl they are 16.

Kids should be kids they grow up to darn fast now adays, I kate seeming mini adults walking around the streets, its not right.

I often wonder where has the innocence gone in the children of today?

IMO, and even though I want more clients and a bigger client base hopefullly double figures and can't do this at the expense of my moral beliefs,

Dear me sorry for that soap box outburst... :o

When I was insured through ANT I phoned them up and asked whether I would be insured to do nail enhancements on under 16's..........well surprisingly there was no age limit.........make of that what you will! However, parental consent was definitely recommended.

Adele

i don't know many 13, 14, 15 year olds etc who can afford £20 every couple of weeks for the maintenance and i don't know many parents of this age group who would cough up on a regular basis!

I did quite a few 15 year olds at the end of july (we have school 'proms' here) and despite banging on about after care etc...what happened? They all mutilated and picked off their extensions because they couldn't afford the maintenance so i rekon i LOST any would-be business from their mums/aunties etc because no doubt i was blamed for the state of their nails after their self inflicted mutilation!

And the ones that did book their maintenance appointments at the time of the full sets, did they turn up? So, lost appointments which could have gone to 'genuine' clients and, in turn, lost revenue.

And a couple of them, who were both friends, their extensions just 'popped' off a few days after the prom - funny that, a total of 20 nails all popping off at the same time! Oh - and they asked for refunds!!!!!!!

JackieMc and FabFreak I really do agree with you in principal but I personally would not turn the business away. I probably wouldn't go the L/P route though. I would do a light wrap and make it minimal not full strength. Then soak off is a breeze or they can keep filing them down until they grow off.

I see this business in the States with junior high school dances and proms and graduations and other family events and it is serious business to turn our noses up at. I personally wouldn't.

Latest posts

Back