Minimum length of free edge to sculpt...?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minnie_uk

Reaction score
What is the minimum length of free edge needed to sculpt?
I do prefer sculpting to tipping so far, but i have a friend who has only about 1-2 mm of free edge. Would it be ok to sculpt? Obviously i would only make them short.....

Thanks

hi, i always have been taught that the free edge can be up to half the the size of the nail bed.
if the nail bed is 1cm then the free egde 0,5cm.

this is in belgium, i don't know else where.
:Grope:

There is no set minimum for sculpting.Free edge can be longer or not existent (short, bitten nails) Just make sure that your white is approximately 1/3 of the nail bed length. That way you will create well balanced nail, not chicklets.

I just did a set of sculpts on a client who must have been in her 50's and she said she had bitten her nails since she was small. She had no free-edge and she said if there was any, she would bite it off straight away!

I managed to do them even though they were miniscule and the skin had started to come above the nail plate and she was soooooo happy!

So personally I would do them no matter how short they are because that client will be so pleased to have nails, hopefully kick the habit and come back!!

Maxine x

:lol: chicklets :lol: good one Lana!!

I prefer to sculpt with no free edge at all for a preference ... but on nicely shaped nails not cannibalised ones. Long free edges can be a PITA sometimes for sculpting.

I also prefer a smidge of free edge or non at all for sculpting.
My reasons are that any longer than a couple of mm then the shape of the natural nail will form the shape of the enhancement, to some extent, and if the natural nail c curve is pants, then you could have an 'unenhanced' nail if you get my drift. As, the uneven c curve of the nail plate will bend the applied form out of the desired shape.

:lol: chicklets :lol: good one Lana!!

I prefer to sculpt with no free edge at all for a preference ... but on nicely shaped nails not cannibalised ones. Long free edges can be a PITA sometimes for sculpting.

This is something I still have to learn and it puzzles me a bit. How do you sculpt when you have nothing to hook the form underneath, or am I reading this wrong please?

This is something I still have to learn and it puzzles me a bit. How do you sculpt when you have nothing to hook the form underneath, or am I reading this wrong please?

The form only has to butt up to the nail bed .. it does not have to go under a free edge.

Another trick is to file the plate into a perfect smile and just butt the form up to the nail bed and the product up to the smile you have filed in for a gorgeous resulting finished smile line. Try it .. you will love the result.

This is what I tried to ask on another thread. I am using silk and bio gel to extend the nail plate and form a free edge. I have seen this done with no form but I was concerned about the product being attached to the skin underneath. I presume from what you are saying that the form must butt up to the prepared nail with no gaps? :Grope:

This is what I tried to ask on another thread. I am using silk and bio gel to extend the nail plate and form a free edge. I have seen this done with no form but I was concerned about the product being attached to the skin underneath. I presume from what you are saying that the form must butt up to the prepared nail with no gaps? :Grope:

It is possible to not use a form on some nails ... but using forms is safer in the long run, and yes you butt the form up to the nail bed just beneath where the plate will grow out.

I do it how Geeg says on my own nails for sculpting mainly because my nails flare slightly at the free edge so taking it as short os possible prior to putting the form on leaves me with a much sleeker end result. If I leave any at all at the corners it starts to shadow through when I refine the sidewalls :hug:

If you find it hard to butt the form up when starting to sculpt on short or bitten nails you can put a teeny bead of pink on nail and pat it out and off the end of the finger and then put my form under this - it takes a lil longer but it helped me

Thank you all
I am going to have a go with sculpts, as they really are very short.

I have just read a post about Creative/CND training in Lincolnshire, and if that's the case, then I will definitely be looking into that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back