Minimum wage for intimate waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diana-Jane

Reaction score
i work in a hotel spa and we only offer basic bikini waxing.
i trained with Kim Lawless to do intimate waxing and some of the girls i work with asked me to wax them. as my work doesn't use hot wax whenever I've done their waxing I've had to take my own with me.
up until today my boss has been ok with me doing this as long as we weren't busy and i only charge the girls a tenner because we're work mates.
today my boss told me i cant charge anymore as they are already paying me an hourly wage and that she can order hot wax in so i don't need to bring my own in. i told her i wouldn't be doing it free of charge as its a skill that i paid a lot of money to learn. but she said well you wouldn't be doing it free cause you get £6.19 an hour.
bottom line is i won't be doing cheap hollywoods for work pals anymore!
i see her point that im using work time to do this but its for other staff, and only when we're quiet. feels like she's being a bit petty to me as she and some of the other staff have unpaid treatments during work time occasionally.
any thoughts on this, would anyone else do intimate waxing as a freebie favour?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I think your boss is well within her rights to stop you doing this on work time. Nothing to stop you doing it for your work mates outside of work hours and off work premises as long as you're insured to do it (not on your work insurance). If you want to recoup some of the training costs then by all means offer it outside of your work, assuming your contract allows you to. Alternatively why not suggest to your boss that it be added to the treatment menu and you take a commission on every treatment?

Sorry, but I wouldn't tolerate it either.

I'm just adding a bit more clarification.
I suspect that your work insurance doesn't cover intimate waxing. If anything goes wrong you're on your own, and your boss would be in serious bother for allowing it to go on.

Last edited:
as i said, i completely see her point about not doing it on work time however she seemed surprised that i wasn't willing to do it for minimum wage.
if this was a treatment we offered at the spa i wouldn't want to do it for minimum wage. would anyone else?

Fair enough if it’s in work time but I wouldn’t do intimate waxing for £6.19 an hour….NO chance!

If you’re Kim Lawless trained you’re worth more than that so make sure you get what you’re worth. I would insist on either a higher rate of pay, like £12-15 an hour, or 40% percent of the cost of these premium services.

Or go self employed and work towards your own success :Look_leftThis

sorry Lynne i meant to add that she doesn't necessarily want to stop me doing it, she just doesn't want me to charge for it. i don't know why anyone would want to do a treatment like that with no financial benefit.

I'm glad you agree that you can't charge when you're doing it during working hours.

However, as you paid for your own training, I would negotiate a bonus for each Brazilian you do.

thanks male waxing. going self employed is my goal but im building up experience at the spa. absolutely nowhere in my town offers proper intimate waxing using decent wax and i know because I've tried a lot of salons! i waxed a few girls at work free at first to build confidence and skill but now Im good at it i don't see why i should be expected not to charge. so hopefully my work pals will become regular clients outside of the workplace.

Cool. Strike while the iron is hot. Be the first and the best in your town. Good luck.

And don't forget male clients......unless you live anywhere near me.....in which case.....forget them!

Kim they won't add it to the treatment menu at work, my boss doesn't think its in keeping with a 5 star spa!
i was only doing it for other therapists and the charge was to cover the cost of my wax, oil, gloves and spatulas. i didn't use any work stock at all.

Kim they won't add it to the treatment menu at work, my boss doesn't think its in keeping with a 5 star spa!
i was only doing it for other therapists and the charge was to cover the cost of my wax, oil, gloves and spatulas. i didn't use any work stock at all.

Just shows your boss has no idea what a premium service is!

Gosh .. sounds like their loss then!
I worked in a luxury spa in Greece which was voted best spa for many years and they offered female intimate waxing and lots of clients booked the treatments..

Sounds like you should work towards becoming self employed and making lots of money for yourself...

Good Luck.. Jack

It's a real shame they won't offer it as a treatment. I was just up at a spa on Loch Lomond at the weekend and and chatting to a lovely therapist about her work. Spa's are very different to salons and they do hardly any waxing was her experience. So maybe your boss doesn't see the demand. But yours may be different and waxing could be popular.

Have you offered your boss a waxing? Maybe if she experiences the difference of both your skill and the wax it could encourage her to change her mind.

Or could you ask if you could do it at the end of a shift when neither are working?

Jack that's the dream! need to build up the nerve to do male intimate training and then i would love to go self employed!
im not bothered that i can't do my waxing at work, i just wanted to know if anyone else would be willing to do this treatment for such a low rate of pay.

fozzyo she hates getting waxed, even her legs so no i don't think she'd be up for that.
she did suggest doing it at the end of shifts to be fair, but im worried now that Lynne may be right that work insurance could be an issue.

Jack that's the dream! need to build up the nerve to do male intimate training and then i would love to go self employed!
im not bothered that i can't do my waxing at work, i just wanted to know if anyone else would be willing to do this treatment for such a low rate of pay.

I agree with what you say but sadly lots of therapists do work in salons and spas where they are paid the minimum wage and are expected to carry out lots of premium treatments with no bonus or extra payment. I pay over double the minimum wage for the guys that work with me and for every male intimate waxing treatment I pay an extra amount. It's a great incentive for them to carry out the treatments and we are all winners... But as the others have said maybe your boss may see things differently.. Keep your spirits up and just work towards your end goal...jack

I understand your boss not wanting to pay you more than minimum wage for it, but do you get paid that for the rest of your day?
Not having a go at you all, in fact, I would see this as a perfect opportunity..' Sorry girls, can't do this at work anymore, you will have to come to me/my house now as I'm going to expand my business and it's going to cost you xxx amount which is the going rate, as it's now my business..!
You won't be treading on the spa's toes, as they don't offer it as a service, so the market is all yours! Go girl!! xxx

tiggerlady thanks for that, and i think you're totally right. this is a good opportunity to earn what i think this service is worth!

Well I guess that spa's are known for relaxing treatments.

I'd stop waxing there and promote yourself outside of work doing just Brazilians. If the staff want to book in with you outside then that's their choice.

Sounds like you're doing great though. x

well following on from this, I've decided to bite the bullet and go self employed. starting next month Im renting space in a salon where i can charge what i think my treatments are worth. and no Brazilians for minimum wage!

well following on from this, I've decided to bite the bullet and go self employed. starting next month Im renting space in a salon where i can charge what i think my treatments are worth. and no Brazilians for minimum wage!

Woo hoo. Good for you. Best of luck xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back