Minx - Do we buff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ladies

Originally when Minx was first brought to the UK the normal procedure for PREP was used (but this was over 3 years ago) this was changed very shortly after to PEP because we don't need to remove the surface shine in order for Minx to adhere to the natural nail.

The only time you would be buffing the surface of the nail would be if there was any peeling and then it would only be to remove the peeling, not the natural nail underneath.

P - Perform Manicure
E - Eliminate surface contaminates (scrubfresh)
p - Purify nail plate layers (scrubfresh)

Hi Kelly i was actually trained by you at S2 to do minx and was told to PREP how long ago was it changed? was any emails sent out or anything to let people know it had changed? xx

There is a point I'd like to make on this thread!

Minx is a professional service, i.e. Minx is only available to qualified technicians/manicurists (never mind all the eBay issues). As geeg as said "Do what you have to do"!!

It is very clear that buffing the nail plate is not necessarily needed. However, the adhesion of Minx or any other coating (polish, overlays etc) is only as good as the surface it is applied to.

You, as professional technicians should know what this means. If your client doesn't want their nail plate buffed and the surface isn't in perfect condition explain to them what this may mean to the longevity. If they don't mind, you should be able to prepare surface for optimum adhesion without causing any damage.

I don't understand this stressing over 'to buff or not to buff'! Yes, always follow manufacturers instructions and it is clear that you don't have to buff to make Minx work! But, the ideal surface will make Minx 'work' better. Manufacturers instructions cannot possible include every possible situation. Use your knowledge and do what is best for the service and your client and advise your client accordingly.

As they say 'it isn't rocket science'! The efficiency of any coating relies on the quality of the surface it is applied to.

Thanks Marian

For wording that so well - as you say it all depends on the clients surface and our judgement as a professional.

Hi Amelia

If you did your training 3 years ago then it changed shortly afterward, its like anything, techniques change when you find a better way to do things and obviously its always better to not buff the nail if we don't have to. (although even when removing the surface shine it is very very light and in the direction of growth, so should never be removing nail plate layers)
All info regarding Minx i.e training video, Minx instruction sheet, Gigi's tutorial are the most up to date available and show correct procedure and these are available online and through Sweet Squared.

Thanks
Kelly

Last edited:
I have never buffed the surface of the nail plate before applying Minx. I just remove cuticle and Scrubfresh which removes any oils etc from the surface. You DO NOT buff the nail before applying Minx. So there is no need to be confused any longer. :green:

Your personal lifting issues would be down to not applying well.

Perhaps you delaminated some of your nails as you did not remove Minx correctly? Perhaps you peeled the Minx off in the wrong direction or when the Minx were not warm enough or you had been wearing them way too long before removing?

I did my minx training in January awith CDN and I too was told to prep as per a L&P application Including removing the shine!

Latest posts

Back