Minx - Do we buff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen Minx

Reaction score
Im a little confussed after watching the Minx video. The technician didn't remove any shine from the clients nails. I was taught to remove shine.

I have just read a post saying that Lumos base coat wouldn't be suitable to use under Minx has Minx needs a smooth surface to adhear to. So im even more confussed.

Are we supposed to remove nail plate shine during Minx prep?

We do PEP with minx. Which is same to PREP minus removing shine. There is no need for that.

Never heard about using any nail polish underneath. Nonsense.

Hope this helps :)

Nail designer with a twist;)

We do PEP with minx. Which is same to PREP minus removing shine. There is no need for that.

Never heard about using any nail polish underneath. Nonsense.

Hope this helps :)

Nail designer with a twist;)
Oh now i am confussed. I did the Minx training class and was told we removed shine, i remember this clearly has i had Minxed my two ring fingers the day before the class (without removing shine) and it had started lifting on the day of the class. Then when we went through our prep steps which included the remove shine, i realised i hadn't done this and thats why it had started to lift and actually had a conversation about it with the tutor.

I haven't done a Minx client yet has i only did my course towards end of summer so have just been practicing on myself and a girl i work with. Last time i did a set it was on my own toe nails. I removed shine during prep. When i came to remove the minx 2 weeks later it took some of my nail plate from my big toes with it. Could this be the reason?

I had to buff the nail plate to tidy it up a little and kept them bare over winter but they still look awful!

I have never buffed the surface of the nail plate before applying Minx. I just remove cuticle and Scrubfresh which removes any oils etc from the surface. You DO NOT buff the nail before applying Minx. So there is no need to be confused any longer. :green:

Your personal lifting issues would be down to not applying well.

Perhaps you delaminated some of your nails as you did not remove Minx correctly? Perhaps you peeled the Minx off in the wrong direction or when the Minx were not warm enough or you had been wearing them way too long before removing?

Last edited:
I have never buffed the surface of the nail plate before applying Minx. I just remove cuticle and Scrubfresh which removes any oils etc from the surface. You DO NOT buff the nail before splaying Minx. So there is no need to be confused any longer.

Your personal lifting issues would be down to not applying well.

Perhaps you delaminated some of your nails as you did not remove Minx correctly? Perhaps you peeled the Minx off in the wrong direction or when the Minx were not warm enough or you had been wearing them way too long before removing?

Hi geeg, thanks for repling and confirming this. (and to you nataliya :))

I checked over my Minx notes we had written on the training day and we did remove the shine. Im glad to hear we don't have to.

My own toe nail damage put me off Minx for a while thats why i haven't offered it in the salon yet. I spent a few hundred on Minx last summer and have only used a couple of designs so i really need to start making some money back. Im reseaching Minx application before going public with it and im going to have another go with my own toes this weekend.

I had worn my Minx for 2 weeks (decided i didn't like my design anymore, too young looking for me) so decided to remove. I removed them when i was in a hot bath has i thought this was ok. Maybe it was the soaking that did it.

has this only just been changed as i did the minx course about 2/3 years ago! and we was told that you DO remove the surface shine with a koala file! as part of your PREP!

as Ive always PREPed before minx! x

has this only just been changed as i did the minx course about 2/3 years ago! and we was told that you DO remove the surface shine with a koala file! as part of your PREP!

as Ive always PREPed before minx! x
I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one! I was starting to doubt myself and thought i might of dreamt it up.

You only remove the surface shine from the nails with SCRUBFRESH ... I am sorry for what you were told but removing shine with a file or buffer has never been part of Minx PREP EVER. You were told incorrectly.

My tutorial for Minx has been here on the site for nearly 3 years now and it does not say anything about removing shine in that way .. ONLY WITH SCRUBFRESH.

NOW IS THERE ANY PART OF THAT STATEMENT THAT ANYONE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND?

Well geeg, I did my training last Monday and was told to remove the shine with the koala buffer, I'm 100% sure on this otherwise I wouldn't have purchased 10 of them!

Obviously there are different views on this, grab some friends, try it both ways and see which one lasts longer and removes better.

Well geeg, I did my training last Monday and was told to remove the shine with the koala buffer, I'm 100% sure on this otherwise I wouldn't have purchased 10 of them!

Obviously there are different views on this, grab some friends, try it both ways and see which one lasts longer and removes better.

There are no different views !! There is the Minx approved way and then there is the unapproved way. Interesting first post Flopsey .. but who do you trust to be right on this one eh?? Minx themselves .. me or the person who did your training with who clearly like several others has got something not quite right?? It is not their fault, they clearly think this is the way it is but it's not! I am in the process of rectifying this right now with the head of education.

The Koala is a great buffer and they won't go to waste. Check out the tutorial I did.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-art-tutorials/117103-minx-application-step-step.html

Last edited:
I did my training in cnd harrow, they didnt stress to us that you should 'not' buff but certainly did not put to buff in the training notes, when we practised we werent told to buff so i know this isnt the approved way. What i wanted to ask was that surely if someone has quite ridged toe nails for example surely you would need to buff for the minx to look its best?? Is it not best to judge the situation with your own judgement and experience??

I had worn my Minx for 2 weeks (decided i didn't like my design anymore, too young looking for me) so decided to remove. I removed them when i was in a hot bath has i thought this was ok. Maybe it was the soaking that did it.

Hi Karen! My understanding is that you should remove Minx by warming the Minx using a Minx lamp (or hairdryer/other heat source if you didn't have the Minx lamp to hand at the time, I suppose!) really well and then gently peel the Minx off... so perhaps your removal method was to blame. :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Hi Karen! My understanding is that you should remove Minx by warming the Minx using a Minx lamp (or hairdryer/other heat source if you didn't have the Minx lamp to hand at the time, I suppose!) really well and then gently peel the Minx off... so perhaps your removal method was to blame. :hug:

Thanks up to scratch, i did think this too but after watching the Minx video again, the technician says that the client can remove their Minx at home, with a source of heat, hot water or hairdryer. So the hot water method may not be to blame, but my lack of skill peeling it off could be the blame. :)

I did my training in cnd harrow, they didnt stress to us that you should 'not' buff but certainly did not put to buff in the training notes, when we practised we werent told to buff so i know this isnt the approved way. What i wanted to ask was that surely if someone has quite ridged toe nails for example surely you would need to buff for the minx to look its best?? Is it not best to judge the situation with your own judgement and experience??
I did my training at a CND Academy too. We were told to buff so i trusted that this was the appoved way. :)

when you pay for training you trust what they tell you is right of course! Sounds like if minx are so anti buffing they should be stressing not to buff to everyone x

when you pay for training you trust what they tell you is right of course! Sounds like if minx are so anti buffing they should be stressing not to buff to everyone x
There is no need to Stress 'not to buff' in the training.
There is no buffing mentioned in the training and it is not part of the demonstration. It is a pointless step when Minx adheres perfectly to a cleansed nail plate.
So now this has been cleared up (on quite a few occasions) we can all happily get on with Minxing the world WITHOUT removing shine :hug:

i just think a few people including myself are a bit shocked at this!

its not that were not listening or dont understand! i think were just confused!!

ive been minxing for nearly 3years now! and i was trained at S2 HQ in Leeds and was shown with a koala buffer to remove surface shine as part of the PREP for minx! like many other people have to! far enough if it was just one person but almost everyone is saying that they have been trained to remove surface shine!

i am listening to you and Gigi and believe you both! but i dont understand how this has been mis communicated to quite alot of people!

i feel like im sort of getting told off for saying that i WAS trained to do that like! like I'm making it up!
xx

i just think a few people including myself are a bit shocked at this!

its not that were not listening or dont understand! i think were just confused!!

ive been minxing for nearly 3years now! and i was trained at S2 HQ in Leeds and was shown with a koala buffer to remove surface shine as part of the PREP for minx! like many other people have to! far enough if it was just one person but almost everyone is saying that they have been trained to remove surface shine!

i am listening to you and Gigi and believe you both! but i dont understand how this has been mis communicated to quite alot of people!

i feel like im sort of getting told off for saying that i WAS trained to do that like! like I'm making it up!

I think I made it absolutely clear, Amelia, that I have immediately acted on this post and every educator has already over the weekend had an email from head of education to make sure there are no misunderstandings, so thank you and others for flagging up the issue. It does seem that there has been some miscommunication on this one point with only one or two educators. So far from you not bring believed ... you can see that your post was taken extremely seriously.

Literally thousands have done Minx training and all have had written instructions which make no mention of buffing being a part of the procedure of application. The instructions are here on the site posted for all the world to see ... No mention of buffing bring a part of the procedure of application. I have sent out thousands of Minx training videos where, not surprisingly, there is no mention of buffing being a part of the application procedure. If a few have been confused by one or two educators then we apologise and have now already out that right.

To anyone else that may have had this wrong information ... Change what you are doing ... Not very difficult to do.

To the poster who mentioned buffing out ridges on toes, do what you have to do. It's not a heinous crime to buff, but just not normally necessary. If you buff and see consequences from doing it then on your head be it.

Last edited:
When I saw the Minx demo at the Fingertips centre in Nov/Dec 09 I was shown a gentle buff too. I haven't been doing it though unless the client has very riged nails and it is a plain design and not patterned.

Latest posts

Back