Minx on very short toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denise W

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have just done a set of Minx on some extremely short toenails - needless to say it was extremely awkward and not my best job! She was happy with them and fully understood the problem - I had absolutely no free edge to file against when filing off the excess. I said I couldn't guarantee how long they would last because I couldn't get a finish I was happy with. In future, is it best to wait until people have a bit more length or should I have been able to cope with this? What would you guys have done? I am quite new to Minx and also use Trendy Nail Wraps and have done mainly fingernails but they have all been fine.

Thanks

I have used scissors to trim the excess. Other geeks also use toenail clippers and clip the nail but don't know if this would work with these short nails.

The only set I have done on fingers were my own!! And everyset on toes I have done I have never had a free edge I could work with so I always use the curved sissors I got with my kit (though I plan on buying the ones with the white handle that Gigi recommended) and they always look good. It just takes a wee bit of practice. I only trained a month ago and the very first set I did on toes are still going strong on my client and they were all cut. hth :D

So, do you cut them once you have applied them or do you pre-cut them?

Once there on, you follow the nail round cutting just above it, as said above some people use nailclippers to do it.

Annie

ok thanks guys - I'll give it a go.

I use nail clippers to cut minx on toe nails I find it much easier and a better finish. HTH XX

Last edited:
hi Denise
i had the same problem on fri eve last week the client decided to pick her toenails off the night bfore instead of cutting them shorter or even better waiting for me to do it!!! they was all over the place! the minx made them look better but i advised her the same as you that they might not last as long as they normally would do and nicely told her off for picking her toe nails!! hahaha...
I have since spoken to her and like i thought the big toe nails have rubbed off, as there was no and i mean no fre edge at all on them ..
jo xx

My lady ran a marathon on Sunday and they stayed on - YAY! I said as I wasn't happy with the way they went on and they prob won't last too long, I would do her next set half price. I know it was her fault they were so short but I'm a very very new business and I want to make sure she comes back and hopefully they will be better next time. Thanks for all your help guys.

The length of the toenails should make no difference whatsoever to how long the Minx lasts.

Imagine you are looking down on the foot as you heat and apply your Minx....then, once applied, turn the toes upwards ankle on the bed or whatever you are working on and tips of the toes facing the ceiling...you are now looking at the back of the toenails and can see where the free edge ends even when the nails are very short....use your curved scissors to cut along the free edge. (Sometimes the nails are so short you can't even see the free edge but you will be able to 'feel' it with your scissors)

Just remember to smooth over the free edge with your thumbs when you put the foot back to original position for second heat and smooth.

Hope this helps - even short toenails should get 4 - 6 weeks.

Latest posts

Back