Mmmm my famous red onion chutney

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystal colleen

Reaction score
I love christmas eve.Every year I make my famous red onion chutney the only other time I make it is when I go camping because my friend is addicted to it lol.We sit under the stars munching away.

I love preparing it the smell of it is just lovely and the taste yum yum yum.I get all excited because I know Christmas day is on it's way.I'll have some tonight with the strongest cheddar and crackers.My favourite is Christmas day night,you've had your dinner and all the manic visiting family then I settle down with only the Christmas lights on with my vat lol of chutney huge lump of cheese and crackers and munch through it watching rubbish on the tv.HEAVEN.x

What special Lil thing do you make as a little treat.

I haven't made anything but for breakfast and lunch I have had chocolate and strawberry Bon bons but is ok as it's Christmas ! Then I will have KFC for dinner probably followed by more chocolate then put the presents under the tree and go off to bed complaining about how sick I feel lol Xx

Right now, I have this mania for making (and eating) luscious lemon cake ... it's delicious.

I've made about 10 over the last two weeks, and have given all but one of them away, because I'm saving that one for myself!

I am making jam tarts with the kids. The pastry is just resting now.

I have also made up a batch of salt dough and we will do hand print santa's & some extra decorations for the tree next year.

We are having cold meat sarnies made with tigerbread and our homemade jam tarts for tea, then the kids will bath & put on their new pj's ready for bed.

Today I have made a batch of chocolate brownies. I'm going to take them into work tomorrow so we can munch our way through them. Lush :D

Colleen you have put me to shame. I buy my red onion chutney from Waitrose :o
Enjoy lovey. :green:

Right now, I have this mania for making (and eating) luscious lemon cake ... it's delicious.

I've made about 10 over the last two weeks, and have given all but one of them away, because I'm saving that one for myself!

Lemon cake is my favourite cake I don't like any other I'm dribbling at the thought of it mmmmmmmmm x

Today I have made a batch of chocolate brownies. I'm going to take them into work tomorrow so we can munch our way through them. Lush :D

Colleen you have put me to shame. I buy my red onion chutney from Waitrose :o
Enjoy lovey. :green:

Noooooo don't buy it lol I made 2kgs of the stuff for under £5 if you want my recipe I'll pm it to you for future reference lol XX

Is there any chance you could pm me the recipe too? I love onion chutney but I just buy it :(

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Could I please have the recipe too :) x x x x

My mum makes chutney and it tastes divine!!!!! I really need to make my own, yum xx

Could I have it too? Xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Im sittin im my pjs drooling at the idea of the red onion chutney.

Could i please be cheeky and ask for it too?

Thanks in advance.

Z

2kg red onions - tescos 2bags £1 each at the min
250mls balsamic vinegar -not an expensive one because you cooking with it tescos £1 a bottle at the min.
Bag of dark brown sugar.
Whole garlic.
Water
Oil

1.Peel and cut 2kg of onions into half rings put into a large pan with a good glug of oil.
2.peel 4 medium cloves of garlic and just crush them with a knife and chuck them in the pan.
3.cook onions garlic on around number 4 for 5 mins stiring constantly DO NOT BROWN AND DO NOT BURN lol.
4.add in half a small mug of water and cook them down till there soft and the colour of the onions have changed to a light red/purple and there is only a
small amount of water left in the pan.
5.add in your bottle of vinegar 250mls a give a good stir.IT lookes a lot but
trust me you need it.wait till it starts to bubble again and turn down to number 2-3 low heat so it's simmering.
6.add half a mug of brown sugar and stir till dissolved.
7.go and have a cup of tea and watch a bit of tv for 15 mins.
8.go and have a check and a stir add another 3 tbs of brown sugar.cook for another 10 mins.
9.taste the liquid I like it sweet with a Lil twang of balsamic.add more sugar if needed and cook on number 4 stirring and keeping an eye till the liquid has reduced so that the liquid becomes thick and sticky and coats all of the onions.Don't reduce so there is hardly anything.When you are happy with your mix chuck it into a clean container leave to cool DO NOT EAT ANY TILL IT IS COLD lol then tuck in.I like mine out of the fridge.It should look dark in colour.

This is a rich strong chutney so you will need a good strong cheese and some nice crackers.

Happy cooking geeks enjoy.xxx

2kg red onions - tescos 2bags £1 each at the min
250mls balsamic vinegar -not an expensive one because you cooking with it tescos £1 a bottle at the min.
Bag of dark brown sugar.
Whole garlic.
Water
Oil

1.Peel and cut 2kg of onions into half rings put into a large pan with a good glug of oil.
2.peel 4 medium cloves of garlic and just crush them with a knife and chuck them in the pan.
3.cook onions garlic on around number 4 for 5 mins stiring constantly DO NOT BROWN AND DO NOT BURN lol.
4.add in half a small mug of water and cook them down till there soft and the colour of the onions have changed to a light red/purple and there is only a
small amount of water left in the pan.
5.add in your bottle of vinegar 250mls a give a good stir.IT lookes a lot but
trust me you need it.wait till it starts to bubble again and turn down to number 2-3 low heat so it's simmering.
6.add half a mug of brown sugar and stir till dissolved.
7.go and have a cup of tea and watch a bit of tv for 15 mins.
8.go and have a check and a stir add another 3 tbs of brown sugar.cook for another 10 mins.
9.taste the liquid I like it sweet with a Lil twang of balsamic.add more sugar if needed and cook on number 4 stirring and keeping an eye till the liquid has reduced so that the liquid becomes thick and sticky and coats all of the onions.Don't reduce so there is hardly anything.When you are happy with your mix chuck it into a clean container leave to cool DO NOT EAT ANY TILL IT IS COLD lol then tuck in.I like mine out of the fridge.It should look dark in colour.

This is a rich strong chutney so you will need a good strong cheese and some nice crackers.

Happy cooking geeks enjoy.xxx

Ta very muchly!! Merry Christmas

This chutney is not for the faint hearted lol if you like the bland tasting of shop bought you may not like it but I like a chutney that packs a punch I've tweaked it to my tastes so tweak away geeks.

Makes me trump to :lol: so be warned lol.

Enjoy xxx

Thank youu! How much would you say this recipe makes (so I know how many jars I need!) xx

Sent from my ST25i using SalonGeek

Ok what is a trump? I'm going to make this chutney and try it. Never heard of it😀 but it sounds good!!

Fart fart fart

Latest posts

Back