Mobile accounts

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
with mileage cost as I do both mobile and work at a salon, can I put down my mileage to and from the salon from home?

Luckily (sort of) I dont own my car - everything is in my partners name so he pays for mot, tax and insurance etc so I only have to put the fuel in.. Would he have to tell his insurance that I am now mobile? Im guessing the answer would be yes?

If I am putting down the mileage and working it out as 40p per mile do I also have to keep fuel receipts?

Dont forget about car tax, car insurance, anything you buy for your business e.g ink and paper for printer, laptop if you bought that for your business, insurance for your business too, I bought a therapist disk from Gateway Workshops, it was the best thing I bought for my business, it's done via Excel and does all the adding up for you, this way I can just hand all my bits and bobs to my accountant, my maths is appalling therefore an accountant is very important to me, I pay them £20 a month, they don't charge for calls or letters. It may be worth your while to invest too :) good luck.

with mileage cost as I do both mobile and work at a salon, can I put down my mileage to and from the salon from home?

Luckily (sort of) I dont own my car - everything is in my partners name so he pays for mot, tax and insurance etc so I only have to put the fuel in.. Would he have to tell his insurance that I am now mobile? Im guessing the answer would be yes?

If I am putting down the mileage and working it out as 40p per mile do I also have to keep fuel receipts?
Are you employed in the salon or working on a self-employment basis?

He will definitely have to tell the insurance people that you are using the car as a mobile technician. Do it now, rather than later or you might find you aren't covered.

Keep your receipts. You may need them. Never through anything away.

Thanks for that SJK - I am self employed at the salon.

Must start saving my fuel receipts!! These are about the only thing I have never written down as money out.

Im now looking into the 40p per mile thing, however how do i record the receipts?? do i put them in the ledger with all the other costs? Invoices?

Interesting thread going on here! Ladies from Essex where are you going to business link day if you don't mind me askin?

Ladies asking about mileage, if you claim that way, that is ALL car expenses, you can't claim mileage AND petrol wear and tear, MOT etc. You also need to know the mileage on your cat when you started using it for business that year. I've only started claiming mileage in my last business year, always used petrol reciepts, wear and tear etc, but now my car is totally paid for, so no interest on loan to claim for, and its just hot 5 years old therefore the depreciation value has is minimal, as you can claim for your car losing value, think its 20% per year, so now it works better for myself to claim 40p per mile. Don't forget you can also claim travelling to wholesalers, if you need to go to the post office to buy a stamp for a letter to send to clients.

I jus zero my trip computer every day, mines starts when I drop the kids off though, at then end of everyday write mileage in my diary. How I show it in my accounts is at the end of my outgoings, I write the miles x 40p, but I do leave it upto my accountant to finalise everything.:)

Interesting thread going on here! Ladies from Essex where are you going to business link day if you don't mind me askin?

Ladies asking about mileage, if you claim that way, that is ALL car expenses, you can't claim mileage AND petrol wear and tear, MOT etc. You also need to know the mileage on your cat when you started using it for business that year. I've only started claiming mileage in my last business year, always used petrol reciepts, wear and tear etc, but now my car is totally paid for, so no interest on loan to claim for, and its just hot 5 years old therefore the depreciation value has is minimal, as you can claim for your car losing value, think its 20% per year, so now it works better for myself to claim 40p per mile. Don't forget you can also claim travelling to wholesalers, if you need to go to the post office to buy a stamp for a letter to send to clients.

I jus zero my trip computer every day, mines starts when I drop the kids off though, at then end of everyday write mileage in my diary. How I show it in my accounts is at the end of my outgoings, I write the miles x 40p, but I do leave it upto my accountant to finalise everything.:)

Great thanks, I think this is what I will do too. As you're claiming the 40p per mile, do you also give them receipts? Just thinking it will be hard to cross reference as my personal mileage is much higher at the moment? x

Latest posts

Back