Mobile hair prices, too scared to put prices up in case I lose clients

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also check out your local colleges! A lot of them do evening refreshers and level 3 too. Plus you will meet others to bounce ideas off. Even if it's just a half a school year course. You know you will get the time off when your daughter does too if they have day ones as it will be term times? Just another idea. Got me thinking about some new education now! Xx

Also check out your local colleges! A lot of them do evening refreshers and level 3 too. Plus you will meet others to bounce ideas off. Even if it's just a half a school year course. You know you will get the time off when your daughter does too if they have day ones as it will be term times? Just another idea. Got me thinking about some new education now! Xx
I definitely think good training helps so much with confidence and charging your worth x

I normally charge so after products I get roughly £20 an hour xx

Thankyou! I never even thought to look online at prices!!!!!! My main target for new clients will be mums at school because of having to work around school hours I've already had a few enquiring!!!:)...we don't have an a and f up here but I've looked online at Alan Howard's and Sally's and they both offer some good courses, especially refresher ones so I'm definitely going to book one of those. Thanks for the nudge of encouragement! Xx
I couldn't agree with Sarahpoppy more. it's isolating working on your own and easy to get into a rut. It sounds like you'll be gaining a younger client base when your daughter starts school. Look at training for the newest techniques and trends. I LOVE L'Oreal courses and found they're better value than those run by wholesalers. Maybe book one of their course packages, or one each of cutting and colouring. I'd also look at local prices, before putting your own up. What might be acceptable in a large city won't be the same in a small town. I always used to worry about putting my prices up and would undercut the competition. I really don't think this is the right way to go about things now though. Be realistic, how good are you? If you invest in your training, use the best products and have confidence in your skills, your prices should reflect this.

Thankyou! I never even thought to look online at prices!!!!!! My main target for new clients will be mums at school because of having to work around school hours I've already had a few enquiring!!!:)...we don't have an a and f up here but I've looked online at Alan Howard's and Sally's and they both offer some good courses, especially refresher ones so I'm definitely going to book one of those. Thanks for the nudge of encouragement! Xx

I do lots of mums from my children's school defo charge more than you are, you will be suprised how many 'friends' take advantage and 'owe' you a £5!! U wouldn't leave a salon owing money but for some reason they think it's ok!!
I have a new attitude now this is the price have it or not I'm trying to earn a living not do favours for everyone!!!
Best of luck x

Obviously it depends also where you are based. I'm not mobile but have a home salon in Dalston, east London.

I charge £35 for a ladies cut/ blowdry and £30 for men's.

Foils start from £65 for half and £95 for full. Balayage/ freehand the same.

I do add on £20 for blowdry after colours but if it's just a dry off so I can see the result, nothing.

How I see it is I've spent £1000's of pounds on my training and I'm constantly updating my skills so I don't have a problem with what I charge and neither should you! I also use luxury brands and Olaplex and I'm fully booked each week too.

If we undervalue ourselves and our skills/ trade we will work to the bone with nothing to show for it and end up disgruntled and unhappy.

I also do quite a few mums from my kids school but they are accepting of what I charge too.

I would look at prices in your area, every area is differetn so you cant go by what someone else says if they are working in say london and you are working in a little village somewhere. Write down prices ffrom different people in your area and work out the average. As you have years of experience put on a bit more than the average. x

Hi everyone

For the last 8 years I've been a mobile hairdresser, I've never put my prices up from when I left a salon I was at for fear i would lose the client base I had, then when i finally thought its time (4yrs post leaving the salon) I fell pregnant with my daughter, so another 4 years have rolled by since then and she's due to go into full time education come September, so im planning on having a bit of a revamp with the products/prices come sept.
I've had to take my daughter to work with me everyday so I always felt I couldn't justify putting my prices up because clients have had to put up with her being around.
I would like some guidance on hair prices currently £10/15 for a cut and blow
£25/£30 for all colours Inc cut and blow.

Am I too cheap?? I'm so worried about charging more!
I'm the same n Iv got 13 yeas behind me. We need t up our prices lol x

Obviously it depends also where you are based. I'm not mobile but have a home salon in Dalston, east London.

I charge £35 for a ladies cut/ blowdry and £30 for men's.

Foils start from £65 for half and £95 for full. Balayage/ freehand the same.

I do add on £20 for blowdry after colours but if it's just a dry off so I can see the result, nothing.

How I see it is I've spent £1000's of pounds on my training and I'm constantly updating my skills so I don't have a problem with what I charge and neither should you! I also use luxury brands and Olaplex and I'm fully booked each week too.

If we undervalue ourselves and our skills/ trade we will work to the bone with nothing to show for it and end up disgruntled and unhappy.

I also do quite a few mums from my kids school but they are accepting of what I charge too.
Thats awesome!

Hi everyone

For the last 8 years I've been a mobile hairdresser, I've never put my prices up from when I left a salon I was at for fear i would lose the client base I had, then when i finally thought its time (4yrs post leaving the salon) I fell pregnant with my daughter, so another 4 years have rolled by since then and she's due to go into full time education come September, so im planning on having a bit of a revamp with the products/prices come sept.
I've had to take my daughter to work with me everyday so I always felt I couldn't justify putting my prices up because clients have had to put up with her being around.
I would like some guidance on hair prices currently £10/15 for a cut and blow
£25/£30 for all colours Inc cut and blow.

Am I too cheap?? I'm so worried about charging more!
I
'm based in north west, 13 years experience.
I charge £18-22 for cut and finish
£10-15 for blow depending on work involved.
Root touch up £20
Full head colour £25
Half head hl £28
Full head hl £38
Balayage and free hand techniques from £40
Colour prices do not included cut and blow.

I won't under sell myself. I get message asking for price and replays saying "well my old Mobile hairdresser charged £8 for a cut"
I don't Do £8 cuts, they're much better than that. If I was back at the sailing I used to work at its be £35 and I charge you £20 to come to your home. Just because I'm not in a salon, doesn't mean the quality of my work is any less than it was.

God that last message is terrible. Full of mistakes. That's what happens when I try and multi task. Sorry!

Have you thought of joining the FHA? Freelance hairdressers association.
They run many courses, all for freelancers, there is even a business course which covers pricing etc, there are regional
Groups so you never feel alone and can meet up with like minded people.

Also, I'm freelance with a 2 year old, my prices earn me enough to pay for nursery for two days so that I don't have to take her with me, I can't imagine trying to work with my child with me, I don't rely on my family having her, although my husband looks after both kids on a Saturday while I work.
I charge £27 for cbd £70 highlights inc cbd, I don't do mates rates, I have a child at school too and have gained much work from
Other parents, couldn't reduce the price- there's too many of them!

Latest posts

Back