Mobile nail tech start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LadyGray

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me and bear with me because at the moment my head is spinning and I'm struggling to get my head around everything, so in part this is just an attempt to get my thoughts down.

I'm a stay at home mum who is about to start training to be a nail tech. I have two small kids so am planning to be mobile, starting only on friends, family, other mums at nursery/school etc, until my youngest starts nursery (in a year) at which point I will have about 15 hours a week in the day to work also. Once the youngest starts school in 2.5 years ish I would hope to up my hours again.

So you see, I'm in no rush to get up and running with a full client base. Quite the opposite, I have all the time in the world to train, practice and slowly slowly build up a client base and reputation.

I am starting off with EZ Flow Spa Rituals training in a couple of weeks so I can get on with practising my skills there, in a few months I will be doing the EZ Flow Acrylics course and I plan to add Gels after that.

I have finally got my head aroudn what I need to do in terms of tax and insurance (although no doubt a bit further down the line I'll have more questions about insurance).

I have so many things running around my head because I'm a notorious over thinker ;)

I'm just going to spill and if anyone can help with any of these things I'd be very grateful!

I have around 150 nail polish of my own, my personal collection. Can I use these or should I have a dedicated set for "work"? Should they all be one brand? I also swear by Seche Vite top coat, are there any reasons I couldn't use that?

How many polishes should I have approx? Is there a recommended way of transporting all equipment?

Do I need a table & chairs? Do you have a preferred one? How do people manage to carry table/chairs/kit/polish?

Given that I will starting out so info0rmally, do I need a uniform? Do mobile techs usually wear uniforms? Would an EZ Flow apron do?

What tools do you consider essential for manicures (not extensions)?

I will be given the spa elements products to go away with and use but what else would I need? I thought of hand sanitiser but is there anything else?

What have I not considered?

I appreciate theres an awfull lot of questions there, many of which most of you will thing are obvious, but if anyone could proffer opions on any of them I'd be so grateful as I can cross it off my list and stop it spining around my head!

Thank you in advance

Charlie x

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me and bear with me because at the moment my head is spinning and I'm struggling to get my head around everything, so in part this is just an attempt to get my thoughts down.

I'm a stay at home mum who is about to start training to be a nail tech. I have two small kids so am planning to be mobile, starting only on friends, family, other mums at nursery/school etc, until my youngest starts nursery (in a year) at which point I will have about 15 hours a week in the day to work also. Once the youngest starts school in 2.5 years ish I would hope to up my hours again.

So you see, I'm in no rush to get up and running with a full client base. Quite the opposite, I have all the time in the world to train, practice and slowly slowly build up a client base and reputation.

I am starting off with EZ Flow Spa Rituals training in a couple of weeks so I can get on with practising my skills there, in a few months I will be doing the EZ Flow Acrylics course and I plan to add Gels after that.

I have finally got my head aroudn what I need to do in terms of tax and insurance (although no doubt a bit further down the line I'll have more questions about insurance).

I have so many things running around my head because I'm a notorious over thinker ;)

I'm just going to spill and if anyone can help with any of these things I'd be very grateful!

I have around 150 nail polish of my own, my personal collection. Can I use these or should I have a dedicated set for "work"? Should they all be one brand? I also swear by Seche Vite top coat, are there any reasons I couldn't use that?

How many polishes should I have approx? Is there a recommended way of transporting all equipment?

Do I need a table & chairs? Do you have a preferred one? How do people manage to carry table/chairs/kit/polish?

Given that I will starting out so info0rmally, do I need a uniform? Do mobile techs usually wear uniforms? Would an EZ Flow apron do?

What tools do you consider essential for manicures (not extensions)?

I will be given the spa elements products to go away with and use but what else would I need? I thought of hand sanitiser but is there anything else?

What have I not considered?

I appreciate theres an awfull lot of questions there, many of which most of you will thing are obvious, but if anyone could proffer opions on any of them I'd be so grateful as I can cross it off my list and stop it spining around my head!

Thank you in advance

Charlie x

Hello

I am just browsing here inbetween appointments so forgive me for rushing, I may not answer all your questions in this post but will have a propper look through when I get home...

I brought my personal nail polish collection with me when I qualified. I do not use a specific brand, but i know some people prefer to. I think it is a preference thing. As long as your polish is not ultra cheap and goes on the nail nicely you can get away with using it. The most important thing in my opinion is a decent base & top coat. I use Lumos but see no reason why you would not be able to stick with the brand you know and trust.

When i was full time mobile I used to use a tool box trolley thing. I got it from B&Q and vamped it up with some stickers and diamantes. It was perfect as all the compartements are already there, it was big enough to fit everything in and doubled up as a seat if I needed. I did carry a reserve table in the car just in case but to be honest I rarely needed this. I have been known to use their ironing board before today! As long as you take lots of towels and waterproof sheets you'll be fine to work wherever possible.

I used to use a inflatible pedicure bath too, this saved room and doubled up as a soak bowl for essential oil manicures.

I cannot think of anything else at the mo and I have to sign off as my customer will be here in 5 mins.

Hope this helps :)

Jules xxx

Thanks so much Jules!

It seems crazy not to use my own polishes as I have hundreds of used once or twice China Glazes, OPI's, Essies and Orly's... thank you! I guess I will start with them and see how it all goes! I haven't heard of Lumos so I'll check them out thank you!

Thats interesting what you say about the table, I had assumed that was essential. I will google for waterproof sheets etc. Thank you!

I really appreciate your help!
xx

I wear a uniform. I do take a table and sometimes foldaway chairs, not all clients have anything suitable to sit on!

I have a 3 tier beauty box and pack each tier according to treatment, pedicure, manicure and gelish manicure. Then have a larger bag on wheels for pedicure bowl, uv lamp etc.

I mainly work from home now, mobile is very hard work and wastes alot of time packing and unpacking etc.

HTH
Aj

I wear a uniform. I do take a table and sometimes foldaway chairs, not all clients have anything suitable to sit on!

I have a 3 tier beauty box and pack each tier according to treatment, pedicure, manicure and gelish manicure. Then have a larger bag on wheels for pedicure bowl, uv lamp etc.

I mainly work from home now, mobile is very hard work and wastes alot of time packing and unpacking etc.

HTH
Aj

Thanks so much. I will have a look at beauty boxes, thank you!

Re mobile work, I'd prefer not to, but simply don't have anywhere to do it other than my lounge or kitchen...

Hiya,

I'm mobile too and have recently began bring mobile(part time as I still work full time for nhs). I would love to work from home and have my own home salon but like you I only have a lounge and kitchen which I could work from so I may as well be mobile for the time being.

I am still learning all the tips and tricks to make mobile life easier but 1 thing I would say is that the other geeks are right...there isn't always anywhere that you can sit and perform your treatment, so a table may be a good investment. Plus you wont have the fear or maybe spilling/scratching etc their table. I have just order a tunic as I think it sets a more professional tone to your business. I have a 2/3 tier trolley on wheels. The top part is a cantilever box and can be used separate to the rest of the trolly and the bottom half has a spate lid, removable tray thing where I store my shellac and the uv lamp, table lamp goes in the big bit at the bottom. Also make sure you have an extension cable if you have a desk lamp/uv lamp.

The plastic sheets are also a good idea especially to put on their table first if you do use their table or even on the floor under your work space-something I need to look into myself :)

Jo xxx
Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Thanks so much.

Thank you all, this is all just the kind of stuff I was after. Honestly, with each reply my thoughts are getting a bit clearer!

Also, do people think I need record cards/appointment books anything else like that?

And what about sanitising equipment, how do people do this?

Yes you will need client record cards, and I may be mistaken but I think some insurance company's do require you to use them.

I did buy a pack of client record cards from CND but I have since deceloped my own :)

And as for sanitising my equipment I use mundo file and adhesive spray and mundo tool disinfectant (I think it's called-minds just gone blank!) :)

Jo xxx

Thank you! This is invaluable.

one more question about money. Do you find you earn much? I'm imagining when I start and for quite a long time I will be putting the pittance I earn into an account, keeping back 30% ish for tax and keeping the rest for things I need, more polish etc, so at what point can I go about taking money for myself to contribute to the running of the house and how to people do this? A set amount of a manicure? A hourly wage?

Thanks for your patience!

I can't answer that 1 I'm afraid, I have only just qualified and starting out...but I know I will be at a loss for the first year with product coats an training etc. So I don't think I will be jacking in my full time job just yet. :( but that day will come :)

I'm sure someone else will be along soon to help you with that 1.

Jo xxx

Hi,

I've been mobile for a few years now and it's a learning curve all the time. I also have to children (the youngest has just started school) and it works so well because I can do hours that suit me. I even do a couple of evenings so my husband puts the children to bed.

Sometimes I use a table (I normally ask when I get a new client if they have somewhere we can sit) mine was only from Argos and it's lightweight to carry around, here's a link to one like mine:

Buy Folding Camping Picnic Table with Heat Resistant Surface at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Camping chairs and tables.

A tunic does look smart, but maybe while you're starting out a white blouse or something smart would be fine.

I use a small suitcase on wheels for things like lamp, towels, extension lead etc. Make sure you have some kind of table lamp, some people don't have very good lighting and it's really hard to work in a dimpsy light!!

I also have a toolbox from B & Q which is just as good but loads cheaper than the beauty ones you can get. It's aluminium outer so looks smart and has loads of compartments you can change around to suit your needs.

Another little tip, if you buy some display wheels, you could display your polishes on there and show that to the client rather than getting loads of different bottles out (you might need to number the wheels and have a list with the name of the polish so you can find it easier when they choose. . . . .I know I need to!!)

Hope these things help

Good luck with it all!

How do you get on with the length of that table? I recently brought a manicure table, 2nd hand, that was approx the same length as the 1 in the pic but with my uv lamp on it and table light and a few products I find it very cramped to work.

Jo xxx

Hello again

Sorry about my rushed response earlier. in addition to what I originally posted uniforms do look smart and can be picked up cheaply on ebay. You mentioned having a branded apron, this actually sounds okay. You can get really cheap name badges from Ebay. Mine cost me £1.50 its lasted ages and literallu just says

Julie
Gorgeous Tips
Nail & Beauty Salon

looks professional and avoids them asking your name all the time. It is a cheaper alternative to a full tunic.

Regarding your finances it is up to you how you work it out but keep in mind that your earnings to start with will be non tax deductable. I forget the exact figure but you are allowed to earn a set amount per annum tax free. Make sure you keep ontopof your book keeping. You do not need any accountancy skills to do this. Simply keep an up to date record of your earnings and outgoings. Remember to keep receipts for everything you buy and for things you use for your business ie: Phone / petrol. At the end of each month work out your profits for the month and then annually so far. You will find you are in the red for a long time don't let this dishearten you. As long as your negative balance is going in the right direction keep at it x

Fold up chairs are an option but not one I have ever needed. My table has been used a couple of times. It is a just foldup table that is adjustable on height, cost about £10 and does the job when needed.

Lumos is a new Top & Base coat that I love! Have a read about what people think on here, their have been a few threads about it i think x

All your polishes sound absolutely fine, I started out with cheap rimmel ones lol x

Regarding your client records if you private message me your email address i will send you a copy of mine. It is one I put together myself but does do the job and was passed by my NVQ assessor when i trained. You can edit it to your own needs if you want. I have a loyalty scheme built into it but you can take this off if you'd rather not use it.

This is a really exciting time for you, I am sure you will do well xxx

Good Luck and make sure you keep us posted!

Jules x

Forgot to mention the sanitizer thing...

Always make sure you clean tools & non disposable files between clients. I used to carry a spray bottle with diluted baby sterilising fluid in it, I used this to sanitise my instruments in front of my customers to give them peice of mind, I literally just sprayed my tools before using them and then again when finished. Then when I got home they would have a good sterilising in barbicide.

Alcohol gel / hand spray is essential too but I am sure your course will teach you about this and probably the above too to be honest x

Hi, the table I put in the link is not as big as mine I now realise. . . .sorry, mine was from Argos and looks like that one but it's a good 2 metres long so plenty big enough for lamp, uv light and products etc. They definatly had them in Argos last year, maybe they don't do that size anymore? Sorry

Hi, the table I put in the link is not as big as mine I now realise. . . .sorry, mine was from Argos and looks like that one but it's a good 2 metres long so plenty big enough for lamp, uv light and products etc. They definatly had them in Argos last year, maybe they don't do that size anymore? Sorry

No worries :) the 1 I have is great if it is just manis thatd in offer but too squished for everything I need. Will check Argos see if they have any bigger ones :)

Jo xxx

Regarding your client records if you private message me your email address i will send you a copy of mine. It is one I put together myself but does do the job and was passed by my NVQ assessor when i trained. You can edit it to your own needs if you want. I have a loyalty scheme built into it but you can take this off if you'd rather not use it.

The client record card that I have designed has a loyalty scheme built in too. I did contemplate having additional loyalty cards but you know what we are like with them! ;)

Jo xxx

Hi,

I've been mobile for a few years now and it's a learning curve all the time. I also have to children (the youngest has just started school) and it works so well because I can do hours that suit me. I even do a couple of evenings so my husband puts the children to bed.

Sometimes I use a table (I normally ask when I get a new client if they have somewhere we can sit) mine was only from Argos and it's lightweight to carry around, here's a link to one like mine:

Buy Folding Camping Picnic Table with Heat Resistant Surface at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Camping chairs and tables.

A tunic does look smart, but maybe while you're starting out a white blouse or something smart would be fine.

I use a small suitcase on wheels for things like lamp, towels, extension lead etc. Make sure you have some kind of table lamp, some people don't have very good lighting and it's really hard to work in a dimpsy light!!

I also have a toolbox from B & Q which is just as good but loads cheaper than the beauty ones you can get. It's aluminium outer so looks smart and has loads of compartments you can change around to suit your needs.

Another little tip, if you buy some display wheels, you could display your polishes on there and show that to the client rather than getting loads of different bottles out (you might need to number the wheels and have a list with the name of the polish so you can find it easier when they choose. . . . .I know I need to!!)

Hope these things help

Good luck with it all!

Thank you Sarah, I already have nail wheels on my shopping list! Will also defintiely be checking out B&Q so thanks for that also.

The small suitcase idea is great too, I already have one of those!

Thanks so much for the tips!

Hello again

Sorry about my rushed response earlier. in addition to what I originally posted uniforms do look smart and can be picked up cheaply on ebay. You mentioned having a branded apron, this actually sounds okay. You can get really cheap name badges from Ebay. Mine cost me £1.50 its lasted ages and literallu just says

Julie
Gorgeous Tips
Nail & Beauty Salon

looks professional and avoids them asking your name all the time. It is a cheaper alternative to a full tunic.

Regarding your finances it is up to you how you work it out but keep in mind that your earnings to start with will be non tax deductable. I forget the exact figure but you are allowed to earn a set amount per annum tax free. Make sure you keep ontopof your book keeping. You do not need any accountancy skills to do this. Simply keep an up to date record of your earnings and outgoings. Remember to keep receipts for everything you buy and for things you use for your business ie: Phone / petrol. At the end of each month work out your profits for the month and then annually so far. You will find you are in the red for a long time don't let this dishearten you. As long as your negative balance is going in the right direction keep at it x

Fold up chairs are an option but not one I have ever needed. My table has been used a couple of times. It is a just foldup table that is adjustable on height, cost about £10 and does the job when needed.

Lumos is a new Top & Base coat that I love! Have a read about what people think on here, their have been a few threads about it i think x

All your polishes sound absolutely fine, I started out with cheap rimmel ones lol x

This is a really exciting time for you, I am sure you will do well xxx

Good Luck and make sure you keep us posted!

Jules x

Hi there, thanks for coming back again. I really do appreciate it. I am excited, I just need to calm down and stop flapping about what I need to buy and think of I think and this post is really helping!

I will pm you for your cards after this, thank you!

The name badge idea is great, I will definitely check out Ebay, top tip!

I really appreciate your help and I'd never have thought of baby sterilising fluid.

I'll send you a message now.

Latest posts

Back