Mobile on foot??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantrelax

Head in the clouds Geek
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am thinking about doing mobile work but I do not drive. I am hoping to do beauty and nail treatments.

I was just wandering if any of you did mobile and did not drive? Or maybe you drive but don't bring you couch with you? How do your clients take it? Does it put potential clients off?

I am up for the ironing board trick. lol

How do you make it work? Not a good idea?

Any tips and/or would be great.

I would think it would be nearly impossible, the time spent getting to appts would make the profitability virtually nil, and how would you carry all the gear? Can you not work from home instead? Unless you get a day bookied up in one area I don't think it would work. Sorry matey if thats not what you were wanting to hear:hug:

xxx Its fine. All opinions welcome. xx

Hmm,well I was thinking of targeting my local area to begin with. That way the travel time between appointments would not be to great-I would obviously leave a relevent amount of time between clients.

I have a couple of trolley that I picked up from Halfords that fit all my bits in quite nicely.

Really its depending on how far you will be walking & what treatment you will be performing matey ... if you will be carrying a lot for quite a distance you will do yourself a injury! I have a struggle carrying it to the car.

Think of the distance, the treatment & the profit for you! If its fairly local to you, then I really couldn't see a problem ... but leave the distance to your discretion!

HTH's x

Its bad enough going by car ! Having to carry everything up the driveway or find a parking space drives me mad as it is. By bus it must be a nightmare having to learn all the routes, walking from bus stop to clients, bus not turning up, no-where to sit etc etc. If you are planning on walking from your home then i guess you would only be able to target a very small amount of people.

Sorry if i sound really negative but i really don't see how anyone could manage going mobile without transport. If you were just doing treatments like indian head massage then it would be possible as hardly any materials needed but if you had to do a pedicure you would need to carry all the products plus the foot spa (takes me two trips to the car when i do one) & what would you do if a client wanted more than one treatment ?

Is there any space at home you could work from ?

I too think it would be hard work too however in London it probably takes longer to get around in a car.

My friends mum is a mobile hairdresser who also does not drive. She sticks within a certain mile radius (for when she needs to get the bus or she can walk) but she has also had some of her clients for years and they are very loyal, they (or their husbands) will sometimes go and pick her up from her home and bring her to their house and then they take her to her next appointment! (obviously its only her longest clients who do this otherwise she walks) I thought it was weird at first but it works for her!

i did mobile on foot (and bus :lol: ) before i passed my driving test ,yes it is a bit of a pain in the bum ,but it is possible ..as long as your client has a table you will manage x
just dont take more than you need ..always find out exactly what your client wants before you go,
the plus side is some clients do enjoy having their nails done in the comfort of their own homes ,then eventually if you do decide to work from home ,they will already be "your" clients,so will be more likely to come to your house then ..plus all the referals you will get ..
if this is the only way you can do it hun ,id say its better than nothing xxxx:hug:

lol, Ok thanks guys!!

Maybe I am looking at this way to simply? Tried various combos of treatments with my two trollies and my ruck sack. They are heavy but not at all back breaking. But I guess that comes after doing it day in, day out eh?

Thanks again xx

What treatments will you be offering ?

I am just wondering how you would do facials & waxing ?

I suppose mani/pedis would be ok as you don't need a couch & as you said you can use the ironing board. You could also try decanting the products into mini travel size bottles (like creative raw earth) this would save on weight :)

Yes Juliette,

I was thinking of doing that.

Had a suggestion that a few therapists use the clients beds, I have done that a few times myself. It will be hard on my back I know that. I was also thinking of the floor but I am not sure how great that will look, no matter how I talk it up or how compfy I make it.

Not sure how certain I am about this yet so any thing that yoy geeks think of through ir my way. I miss things sometimes. lol

i'm also mobile on foot as well as having a room but i plan ahead i try and have all of 1 treatment on 1 day such as massages and facials i have a carrier to but my trolley on then i have an other trolley to wheel it about then manicure etc on another day but i make sure that the cost of treatment is £5 or more to cover for my travelling expenses sometimes i get a taxi if i need to take my couch but i alway make sure that they spend around £10 it works well so i offer them eg manicure with free eyebrow wax 2 for the price 1 and it works a treat

I must be a wimp cos i would be more worried about someone realiseing what i did for a living and knowing that the equipment is expensive and then taking it upon themselves to mug me for my hard earned kit

xxx Its fine. All opinions welcome. xx

Hmm,well I was thinking of targeting my local area to begin with. That way the travel time between appointments would not be to great-I would obviously leave a relevent amount of time between clients.

I have a couple of trolley that I picked up from Halfords that fit all my bits in quite nicely.

Sorry mate, I am mobile and home based and it's frustrating when you've allowed enough time for a client and they change their mind on what they want. Nope you don't have to do it.

What if your bus is late or one lives quite a few minutes away from the other and you have decided to do the first as she has changed her mind from what she originally wanted and the second has changed her mind too, she doesn't want a natural set, she wants nail art, glitter, gems etc.

It does happen!

Not to put the mockers on it but if you can stay at home and let them come to you, I think that would be the best bet.

Sorry and HTH Teri x:hug:

Andrelax on your Geek title it says you have your own salon?! Has something gone wrong?

As for the mobile on foot thing... well, in my opinion, you would have to be damn keen and intent on being successful.. because I can imagine that getting to you after a while... i.e becoming really pissed off with it! What would you do if you got a client who let you down - they went out and forgot, or you had two appointments but in different locations quite hard to get to?

Plus travelling around in the winter would be a nightmare... :eek:

You would have to be strongly motivated to do this and stick at it for a long time.

Hi Caroline,

I wish I had enough geekmolians to change that flippin user title!lol
That, unfortunately did not come to pass and right now I need to get up and moving. At this time, nothing else but mobile seems to be the "right" thing for me to try. Its not what I really want but I have to do something as I have already disappointed certain people and there are others who keep telling me that this "beauty thing" should be made a hobby now, "you are getting nowhere with it".

I am determind...very.xxxxxx

Hi Caroline,

I wish I had enough geekmolians to change that flippin user title!lol
That, unfortunately did not come to pass and right now I need to get up and moving. At this time, nothing else but mobile seems to be the "right" thing for me to try. Its not what I really want but I have to do something as I have already disappointed certain people and there are others who keep telling me that this "beauty thing" should be made a hobby now, "you are getting nowhere with it".

I am determind...very.xxxxxx

Well good on you, with that positive attitude I'm sure you'll go far and succeed. :hug:

How many molians do you need? Will send you some if u like.. mine are sitting in the bank doing nothing!

Hi Caroline,

I wish I had enough geekmolians to change that flippin user title!

edit it for free in your profile:green:

user cp
edit profile
custom user title

I've got to be honest hun, i can't see it working in the long run. i only have 2 mobile appointments each week and i've got to be honest, after 18 months i'm sick of going out in the cold ... and i've got a car! Is there no way you could set up in your house, find a corner to put a table? i swear, they sell this neat little "breakfast set" in argos, and its ideal for putting in a corner. i only do my old ladies mobile (or anyone who rings up who is disabled) and i insist everyone else comes to me. they'll drive to a salon, so they'll drive to you.

Awww, thanks Caroline.

LOL I need 554 matey! xxx

Latest posts

Back