Mobile Questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am researching on becoming a Mobile Technician. Does anyone have any suggestions on any nice names? As i want to get some advertising done.

Any suggestions on what kind of equipment/products i would need to initally start off my mobile business? i.e, furniture,what kind of Acrylic/Gel products, basic Nail art equipment. etc.

What do mobile technicians charge for petrol etc, or do you include it in your prices?

:confused:

Not sur about names, but if ure going mobile as a nail tech u need a good light weight bag such as the bucket bag from CND, I also use smaller sized bottles of nail plate cleanser, nail polish remover etc and just fill them up, I use the clients ironing board as suggested by one of my tutors, everyone has one and they adjust to any height, I have a small stool I keep in the car but most people have 2 chairs in there house so dont need it often. Prouducts would be the same as you use in the salon if you work in one (just smaller sizes for carrying) All areas are different from prices but here £30 it about average for a full set, I only charge extra for petrol if the client lives about 10miles out with the town hth xx
Hi All,

I am researching on becoming a Mobile Technician. Does anyone have any suggestions on any nice names? As i want to get some advertising done.

Any suggestions on what kind of equipment/products i would need to initally start off my mobile business? i.e, furniture,what kind of Acrylic/Gel products, basic Nail art equipment. etc.

What do mobile technicians charge for petrol etc, or do you include it in your prices?

:confused:

Not sur about names, but if ure going mobile as a nail tech u need a good light weight bag such as the bucket bag from CND, I also use smaller sized bottles of nail plate cleanser, nail polish remover etc and just fill them up, I use the clients ironing board as suggested by one of my tutors, everyone has one and they adjust to any height, I have a small stool I keep in the car but most people have 2 chairs in there house so dont need it often. Prouducts would be the same as you use in the salon if you work in one (just smaller sizes for carrying) All areas are different from prices but here £30 it about average for a full set, I only charge extra for petrol if the client lives about 10miles out with the town hth xx
Posted via Mobile Device

What training have you had Rita?

Hi,

I have qualified as a Nail techician last year, VCTV recognised, at a local college.

hi, i'm not mobile, im salon based, but i would say thatits probably best to include petrol in prices and take into consideration that you will have no overheads to pay i.e. rent, electricity, council tax etc ... so would factor that into the price to. name ideas -
# pinkies
# scratchers
# top to toes
# pinkies & piggies?
i know theyre rubbish but hey, at least it a couple of ideas
hth xxx

Hi,

Thank you for your advice!
I wish i could have started at a salon but no-one wants to give me the time of day, so im going all out and going mobile.

Thanks for the names, there great!!!

Hi Rita,
I can't really help with names as I'm useless with that sort of stuff.

As for the Acrylic/Gel products I would recommend that you use the products you where trained in at college,, If your not sure where to purchase them from maybe ask your tutor?

Other basic nail equipment you can get from local suppliers like capital hair and beauty, or beauty express etc.

When it comes to prices it all depends on your area.. maybe do a lil research and see what others charge.

Don't forget about insurance.

Good Luck
x

Hi Annabel,

I trained at a local coleg, who provide no back up at all. The products we used in the course weretn great either, our tutor herself said so.

What kind of things do i need to start my mobile business? I have bought a UV gel lamp, and i have all the tools for a manicure, i need to buy Acrylic/Gel, Nail art products.

I have had suggestions that as im starting out mobile, and my speed is not very good, do nails at a low rate to build up clientele? Then after a few month take th epric eup.

Yes i will get the insurance, as soon as i get my products

Thank you for your advice

Hi Rita :)

To be honest, you really need to be trained to use each different product, so it is advisable for you to take further training using a specific product.
My suggestions are Creative (CND) or Young Nails. These are the 2 brands that I have used and can recommend.

You won't be able to purchase most of the best quality brands as you have to be trained to use them before you can buy them.

Another thought I had, was your lamp. It is best to use the lamp which was designed to cure the specific type of gel that you are using (ie: if you use CND gel, you will need a CND lamp and so on).
The reason is that each product is a little different, and the lamps designed to go with the product are designed to perfectly cure that product, but may not work as well with another product.

Hope this makes sense!

Suze

when i first started in nails rather than keep increasing the prices i set the price for when i was up to scratch with them but then put an offer on, i.e if you decide £25.00 do an introductory offer for maybe £15 or £20,then people know what to expect when your prices go up and will be prepared and hopefully not moan as they've been pre warned its introductory only. also if we have thm on offer at work now we always teel them the original price and then the offer priceso they dont expect that this is the permanent price

hth

Hi Annabel,

I trained at a local coleg, who provide no back up at all. The products we used in the course weretn great either, our tutor herself said so.

What kind of things do i need to start my mobile business? I have bought a UV gel lamp, and i have all the tools for a manicure, i need to buy Acrylic/Gel, Nail art products.

I have had suggestions that as im starting out mobile, and my speed is not very good, do nails at a low rate to build up clientele? Then after a few month take th epric eup.

Yes i will get the insurance, as soon as i get my products

Thank you for your advice

If the products arent very good that you used in college,would it be a good idea to work on the public with rubbish products? ,wont you have endless probs??:rolleyes:

I trained in a college, and was also taught with products that weren't great.
I would say you can probablly only get so far by being trained with a college.

I know to get better training is a lot of money, but I really think it is worth it because 1. you'll get better products and get taught how to use them properly,, where as if you where to just go and buy products without the training by that company, no matter how good the products are you will probably still come across problems, and then you may end up changing your products, so in the long run end up spending even more money.
2. you'll get much better support
and 3. your probably feel a lot more confident.

As enhanced-barbie said you wont be able to buy products from a lot of the best-quality brands as they require you to have trained with them.

So I highly recommend that you don't buy any Acrylic/Gel products until you get training with whichever company you choose to go with, even if for now your only be practising on friends and family.

Ezflow, CND, Young nails etc. all have a very high following on here, so why not ask a couple of them for their training brochures.

From my experience just keep practising on as many people as you can, you speed will soon get faster the more you practise, definately start out just on friends and family then maybe start with friends of friends etc. and then you'll soon find yourself building up a clientele.
But always charge something, even if it's not much.

hth
Annabel
x

Hi Rita, I am a mobile technician. I have a small kidney shaped mobile nail desk a small stool for me and use a dining room chair for the client. I find people are impressed when I turn up and need to disrupt their home as litte as possible and I feel it is more professional too.

This is a list of things I take on an appointment and approx prices I paid:

Desk - from ebay approx £65
Stool - from deobeautyproducts.co.uk approx £30
Beauty case with all my products in. I have everything in smaller bottles too so they all fit in neatly.
Bin with a lid - I also take all the rubbish away with me so nothing can come back.
A plastic box with my lamp, towel, paper towel & uv lamp in.

I think this is everything :lol: It does sound like an awful lot, but once you start and get into a routine it's dead easy.

All my prices include petrol as if I were to charge more I would not get any customers.

Regarding your products, I trained with NSI who were fab and their products are not overly pricy either. I would recommend you having a conversion course with the company you decide on. They are usually only a day course to go through the products, but you would learn a lot from it and then you would have on going support from them too.

Anything else I can help you with feel free to ask.

In no way would i have been good enough straight out of college!! I did some work in a salon,(would of offered my services for free, for extra experience though) and here i learned about truly excellent products, and went on conversion courses, either free (as creative did one in a mag offer) and my employer sent me on some at her expense, as it's pays for her to have me fully trained in the best most popular products around. Now i like doing mobile, but this is after years of having support from employer and a mentor,i wouldn't of been brave enough to tackle the public on my own. As a newbie you'll still have bubbles or lifting problems which can be hard to tackle irate customers.
Names
Nail it?
glamour puss?
echanted ehancements?
Do some conversions, you'll thank us all later when you do it this way!!

To be honest hun I just used my own name when I was mobile, did'nt think I needed a "salon" type name.

Trish xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back