Monomer Spilt on table..please please please help!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Creative Cal

Reaction score
On Wednesday night I had the worst nightmare

I went to do a client late on as she had had some nails done at a salon, didnt like them and was desperate for me to sort them out..I didnt get there til about 845, and was tired...I think I really should have turned it away butfelt bad for her,

Anyway I knocked some monomer onto her kitchen table - it soaked through the towel and onto the table. I cleaned it up straight away. But yesterday she rang and said it was marked and she couldnt get the marks out.

What can I do??? I asked her if it could be revarnished and she didnt know as she said the table isnt solid wood - its veneer????

Please please please if anyone can suggest anything- what is a veneer table?? can it be revarnished or resurfaced or what???

so so worried

xx

Aww hun :hug::hug:

I don't think it will be able to be fixed if it veneered but if it is wood it will be able to be refinished, I did my new table the other month with monomer:eek:, there was a thread similar the other day where I explained what to do - will have a look for it

xx

so if it is a veneer table it means I will have to buy a whole new table???

xx

Maybe hun, I am not totally sure so please don't let me panic you:hug:

Veneer is like what some Kitchen cupboards are made out of, it's smooth & can be quite cheap looking (please if anyone has got veneer anything & is reading this DO NOT TAKE OFFENCE:lol:)

XXXXX

After my accident I started using some fab table towel from S2, it's called Hands Down Ultra Table towel. It is worth having just for piece of mind.

xx

I will be purchasing some of that today then

I am so so stressed out about it it is effecting everything I do!

I have just had a look on the internet and there are companies that can come and look at the table and see what can be done so I will get one of those out to her asap!

xx

unfortunatly it will down to you to either offer to get it repaired if its possible and if not you will have to get a new one. Speak to your insurance company as if a supplying a new table will cost alot then it might be an idea to do it through them and just pay your excess which is usually about £100.

Def do that, but just think its a table, it was an accident & you haven't hurt anyone + you will prob never ever do it again

:hug::hug:

maybe its just me - but although in an ideal world we'd offer to buy a new table, i dont think you should. You went to the ladies house as a mobile therapist, and she would have known the products you use etc. Yes, she wouldnt have expected you to ruin her table but accidents DO happen and shes already taken the risk of inviting you into her home. If she was that bothered by her table she would have went into a salon instead of wanting you to go to her home.

This is just my perception - hope no one take offence by my point of view!!!

Also, sometimes i use an ironing board instead of a table as i feel you need to stretch less and IF it does get damaged - a lot cheaper to replace!!! lol!! :green:

A veneer is a thin layer of (usually an expensive) wood that is glued onto a cheaper substance such as chipboard, MDF, or a cheaper wood such as pine. The idea being that it visually appears as if it's made entirely of the expensive wood, even though it isn't.

I would have thought that it should be possible to restore the table to a reasonable state; the only issue would be if the monomer had soaked through and dissolved the glue holding the veneer in place. But what you would see then is the veneer coming away from the surface of the table, like it's "bubbling up" - often this might be caused by water damage, particularly if the varnish or polish on top of the veneer has already worn away.

Maybe the best thing to do is suggest she gets a quote from a furniture restorer or French polisher - as a professional repair would probably be cheaper than a brand new table...
Posted via Mobile Device

maybe its just me - but although in an ideal world we'd offer to buy a new table, i dont think you should. You went to the ladies house as a mobile therapist, and she would have known the products you use etc. Yes, she wouldnt have expected you to ruin her table but accidents DO happen and shes already taken the risk of inviting you into her home. If she was that bothered by her table she would have went into a salon instead of wanting you to go to her home.

This is just my perception - hope no one take offence by my point of view!!!

Also, sometimes i use an ironing board instead of a table as i feel you need to stretch less and IF it does get damaged - a lot cheaper to replace!!! lol!! :green:

You are incorrect and the fact is, it is nothing to do with anyones point of view .. legally she is entirely responsible for any damage done in someones home and that is why we have insurance.

The Hands Down plastic-backed table towels from Sweet Squared and their other distributors are perfect for mobile therapists that need to put down some protection.

You are incorrect and the fact is, it is nothing to do with anyones point of view .. legally she is entirely responsible for any damage done in someones home and that is why we have insurance.

The Hands Down plastic-backed table towels from Sweet Squared and their other distributors are perfect for mobile therapists that need to put down some protection.

I agree with you, Geeg. It would be a similar situation to if you hired a professional decorator to paint your lounge, and they didn't use sufficient dust sheets, and managed to knock a tin of paint over causing damage to your expensive sofa and carpet... in both cases you are hiring a professional to do work in your home, and you would expect them to be insured accordingly so they would be able to pay compensation for such eventualities...
Posted via Mobile Device

sorry guys - im still a novice so in a sense this thread helps people like me who will no doubt encounter these problems in the future! :green:

Hope u can get it sorted!
xxx

I have tried calling the client today but her phone is switched off. I have sent her a text apologising and left a voicemail saying I will get a professional to look at the table and they can advise if it is repairable or if a new one is actually needed ( I am praying for repairable)

I need to call my insurance company and se if I am covered for this and I am going to order the covers from s2 straight away

I cant keep worrying about it I guess I just need to get it sorted and make sure it never happens again

xx

Cal - there are a couple of good furniture restorers based at a company called Wirral Strippers in Birkenhead. If they can't help with a quote, they may be able to show you someone who can.

The problem with a veneered sufrace is that one area can't generally be repaired if it has bubbled or cracked etc. As the veneer is placed in 1 piece then it is usually harder to do so easier ( and often cheaper) to replace than repair.

I have seen veneer repairs done by my gramps who was in the trade before his stroke and he walways hated them as they were so much more complex than solid wood repairs :)

Hey,

I had my nail bar specially built by a carpenter friend.

He used a jet black, shiny and unbelievable durable veneer which is actually just placed on MDF stuff.

Might not help you now but might be worth considering in the future.

If anyone is interested I'll find out what the stuff is called.

It comes in rolls and gets stuck on and cut.

Keep smiling.

Brend x

Ahh, bless you, I would be having kittens over that if it ever happended to me! I do take my own portable table though, and even when the client has offered to use their dining table/breakfast bar etc. I always use my own as I know if something like this were to happen it would only be my own stuff getting damaged.
I would also add that if you spilt the monomer beacuse you had an open bottle on the table - do you use a pippet or syringe to decant your liquid - this can be so much safer than trying to pour it. If it was you dappen dish you sent flying, then I guess it's just one of those things - like you said, you were tired.
Poor you - all for doing a favour to a client - but as others have also said, that's what you have insurance for so don't be afraid to use it huni x

Hi cal ,,,OMG, how awful. I have had loads of probs lately going to clients with solid wood table, I actually explain to them I am using chemicals and although i will protect my products with a plastic back cloth there is still a risk,, this then in my opinion does help is anything does go wrong they are more likely to think 'oh well she did say' even though i would still be liable.

How does everyone get around securing there dappen dishes, when blu tac can not be used, I was thinking of investing in a heavy dappen dish, ie the dog bowl???

Kate xx

Certainly a dappen dish with a broad base is more secure than one that does not have a broad base ... but any dish will 'slop' over the edge if you whack it hard enough. You really have to work with a protective cover if working in someone else's home.

yeah it was only a small amount in a small dappen dish and it was on top of a towel. i am going to get some covering from s2 this week. its just really knocked me for 6 as everything had been going so well up to now. but i wasn't even happy with the nails i did for her. but there is no point burying my head in the sand just need to get it sorted out x
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back