My nails- help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunshineinme

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am writing to you in sheer desperation :(

I use Solar Oil twice a day and Avoplex about 5 times a day! I use hand cream and wear gloves when washing up etc but my nails are extremely weak, peeeling, flaking, split and super soft!

I have NEVER had enhancements so that's not the case.

They got a bit better when I had them Shellacked (although it was obviuosly peeeling and chipping and lasted about 8 days on me)...

It all started about 3 months ago and I can't win with my nails.

i keep them short and use OPI nail strengtener for extra strenght on top.

I really don't know what to do:(

I am starting now offering Shellac and to be honest I feel very anxious that I will not be able to even show it or practise on my nails and advertise how good it is as it will peel on me after few days :(

can you please help :(
:hug:

Sometimes, it's just what you're born with! What are your parents' nails like? That could be an indicator... I was unlucky - my mum and dad both have MEGA strong nails that don't ever break. They complain about having to file them down so often. I, however, struggle to grow mine because they are so incredibly flexible!

Have a look at your family's nails to determine how similar or different yours are. It's a starting point :) xxx

Hello

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your nails :rolleyes:

You say it started about 3 months ago. Up until then were they normal and healthy? Has anything changed in your diet? Or have you started taking any sort of medication? Some times nail strenghteners can make this sort of probelm worse as the formaldahyde in them can dry the nail and make it very brittle. There are many factors that could be causing this.

You could always leave out the strenghtener for a week or two and continue with the solar oil to see if this helps?

I hope you get them sorted soon.

Tracy x

My nails were always good... I don't recall any major issues with them. My mums nails are fine- just with age related ridges but defo on the strong side.

The nails strengthener I'm using is formaldehyde free and I wasn't using it at the beginning- just solar oil and
Avoplex but my nails were terribly peeling that I had no choice but to put some sort of a "seal" on them as every little impact was causing even bigger damage.

I am not taking any medication, eat fruit every day and started taking food supplements- nail, hair&skin vitamins couple of weeks ago :(

maybe I should see a doctor? But could they advise anything?

In that case, I would probably go to a doctor! Your nails are a medical indicator and can be the first to show a problem. Good luck hun xxx

try to get Blackmores silica colloids (S.79)from a health food store, failing that get the liquid silica hopefully this may help you.

In Australia the colloids are practitioner only so I'm not sure what goes on over there :)

Thank you ladies for you advice! I think you are right- I have to see a doctor :( I don't like them much tho...

I am really upset about my nails and desperate to find a solution! I feel embarrassed in front of my customers :( xxx

Hope you get it all sorted soon hun xxx

Mine are just the same, its my medication I think but I hate it as they are so so weak :(
Can't wait until I finish college in may and then I can put gel overlays on, that's the only way I can get them not to be completely bendy :hug:

sorry to hear your nails are so bad!

my nails are exactly the same and were ok for years and then i fell pregnant and my nails just seemed to thin and weaken and now i have psoriasis of the hands and in three of my nails!

go to your GP and see what they can do to check what the cause is!

good luck and hope you get sorted :)

sorry to hear your nails are so bad!

my nails are exactly the same and were ok for years and then i fell pregnant and my nails just seemed to thin and weaken and now i have psoriasis of the hands and in three of my nails!

go to your GP and see what they can do to check what the cause is!

good luck and hope you get sorted :)

Oh dear! Sounds really terrible! Poor you! Wish man could get pregnant!

I will go to the doctor although I soooo much don't want to xxx

Latest posts

Back