My sad Brisa News

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CurlyQs

Reaction score
I was all set for my Brisa training this coming week. I just found out that it's cancelled due to low enrollement. :mad: I am so disappointed. I have had my pro kit for a few months and have been patiently waiting for training.... Now there's no date in sight.

I have been wearing Brisa on myself (based on what I learned from the tape) and love it, except I am getting a lot of free edge lifting - and was so excited to have the chance to get it all sorted.

I thought about looking into Akzentz buff off gel since the training is more flexible. But I've already invested in Brisa! I know some geeks use a combo of both.

It's just so difficult to get CND training over here.

Frustrated and disappointed! Any advice, geeks?

I don't do gel so some other geek will explain better than me but if you are getting lifting at the free edge you need to cap the free edge,
just lightly pull the product over the the end so that it has a very thin covering and then cure, do not buff it away when you are finishing off hth a little

I don't do gel so some other geek will explain better than me but if you are getting lifting at the free edge you need to cap the free edge,
just lightly pull the product over the the end so that it has a very thin covering and then cure, do not buff it away when you are finishing off hth a little

Thanks loubylou. I have worked with Bio and Calgel and finally got the hang of capping properly - but with Brisa I can't seem to get it right. I am sure to go over the edge, cure for 10 to lock it and then not file it - but still I get one or two fingers where the free edge just snaps off. The rest last perfectly.....

Would they not agree to doing a 1-2-1 for you. You won't know unless you ask. Good luck.xx

Its ironic you talk about capping the edge,as a nail tech and i were talking about this situation of capping the free edge.

Im not really qualified to comment on what you can and cant do,but maybe get a 1 to 1 with your educator.

Im assuming that as you are already qualified in gels that this is a conversion?

I just wish CND here in the UK did a foundation for gel enhancements in Brisa,as you have to do L&P first,THEN convert to Brisa....and im not qualified in gel enhancements,and not a big fan of L&P....:cry:....i LOVE gel:green:

Good luck hun:hug:....dont despair,just get together with your educator!

I use Akzentz and love it..... Its a shame about your Brisa training, but if you did want to give akzentz a go then i would say its worth while.

Alex,
I looked on the CND site and it lists Jennifer Langford, Catherine Litchel and Jennifer mather all as ambasadors for CND in Ontario. Try dropping CND a line for their details and them contact them, they may know a a tech in your area that can maybe do a workshop or 121 or just demo it for you!

Another geek suggested that you can use a form to extend the free edge just by a millimetre or so, therefore the free edge is fully encased. I found this very helpful when practising on my own nails.
HTH

Hi Alex,

You may be able to advise me.:confused:

Next June my family and me are emigrating over to Kitchener Ontario to start a new life (scary or what!). At present I have quite a large client base and of course will need to start again when I get there, but, is there more call for nail techs in salons, or homebased? I am Creative l&p and Brisa trained, which is more popular? Sorry to pick your brains but i wa wondering whether to get a job in a salon first?:)

What do you think?

Sonia x

Hi Alex,

Next June my family and me are emigrating over to Kitchener Ontario to start a new life (scary or what!). At present I have quite a large client base and of course will need to start again when I get there, but, is there more call for nail techs in salons, or homebased? I am Creative l&p and Brisa trained, which is more popular? Sorry to pick your brains but i wa wondering whether to get a job in a salon first?:)

What do you think?

Sonia x

Hi Sonia,
Kitchener is an hour and a half from where I am - a very nice area. I often go to the nearby St. Jacob's market - have you been there? That's a big move!!!

I would say there are more salons than home based, but sometimes we are unaware of the home based ones (I am home based - very small business.)

The chop shops do a lot of business around here because they are quick. To be honest, most of my clients I have because they specifically wanted Bio Sculpture gel. They're not too open to other brands. The salons who use Bio present it as a much 'safer' choice - baloney I know!

So there are a lot of misconceptions..... People are really into gel, so I would say Brisa would be more popular. Feel free to PM me if you have any Ontario questions!

Alex,
I looked on the CND site and it lists Jennifer Langford, Catherine Litchel and Jennifer mather all as ambasadors for CND in Ontario. Try dropping CND a line for their details and them contact them, they may know a a tech in your area that can maybe do a workshop or 121 or just demo it for you!

I tried contacting them via CND and I just got directed to either CosmoProf or InterCosmetics who are the area distributors. Through them I was just given the date that is now cancelled. Maybe I should try again....

Its ironic you talk about capping the edge,as a nail tech and i were talking about this situation of capping the free edge.

Im not really qualified to comment on what you can and cant do,but maybe get a 1 to 1 with your educator.

Im assuming that as you are already qualified in gels that this is a conversion?

I just wish CND here in the UK did a foundation for gel enhancements in Brisa,as you have to do L&P first,THEN convert to Brisa....and im not qualified in gel enhancements,and not a big fan of L&P....:cry:....i LOVE gel:green:

Good luck hun:hug:....dont despair,just get together with your educator!

I am taking the conversion (currently working with Bio). Here no need to do L&P first. I find this gel so different to work with from Bio. I especially struggle with a rebalance and needed direction! I love gel too. Hooking up with an educator for a 121 doesn't seem to be an option here, unless I am missing something.

Will contact CND again. Thanks everyone.:hug:

I use Akzentz and love it..... Its a shame about your Brisa training, but if you did want to give akzentz a go then i would say its worth while.

Bagpuss, do you think I could use Akzentz with the Brisa? It's just that I have purchased the lamp and all. I am wondering if they are similar enough that perfecting one would help with the other....

Another geek suggested that you can use a form to extend the free edge just by a millimetre or so, therefore the free edge is fully encased. I found this very helpful when practising on my own nails.
HTH

I read that too and have been trying it. The CND forms are new to me so I am struggling with them a bit. I will keep trying that method...

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. It would seem CND training is more accessible in the UK. I will keep exploring other options. I am finished whining about it!:hug:

Yeah I'd give them another try Alex and explain whats happened. We have cosmoprof training here in Clagary too but I also have an ambasador at her own salon that trains and does 121's and isn't connected to cosmoprof at all.

Here's her details. If you get no joy from CND try Alyson, she may have details of tech's in you area maybe worth a try!

Alyson Poudrier
Lushus Concepts
403 252 9660

Hi Alex,

What do you think?

Sonia x

Hi Sonia
My family and I emigrated over to Calgary in Feb this year so i know what you are going through. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Not so sure about Ontario but here in Calgary Gel is huge and there are more NSS salons than there are regular ones. One thing I do know is that mobile techs are virtually unheard of and those that I have spoken to absolutely love the idea of someone coming to your home to carry out treatments and in some cases are even willing to pay more than they would in a salon. Bear in mind though that part of this is because salon prices are so cheap being NSS most salons offer full sets for $25-$30 - so mobile could be the way to go, you just have to make the most of advertising as a lot of people here do stuff on spur of the moment and get walk in appointments. Even the 2 regulars that I have never make appointments they just call when they are ready for fills!

Bagpuss, do you think I could use Akzentz with the Brisa? It's just that I have purchased the lamp and all. I am wondering if they are similar enough that perfecting one would help with the other....

Yeah i use the Brisa lamp and its fine....both are buff off gels so using the brisa pink .. cure then using the akzentz white...cure...(example) wouldn't be a problem at all. I would say that perfecting any kind of gel is only going to help with using another...xx

Yeah I'd give them another try Alex and explain whats happened. We have cosmoprof training here in Clagary too but I also have an ambasador at her own salon that trains and does 121's and isn't connected to cosmoprof at all.

Here's her details. If you get no joy from CND try Alyson, she may have details of tech's in you area maybe worth a try!

Alyson Poudrier
Lushus Concepts
403 252 9660

That's exactly what I need!!!! Thanks Florence:hug:

Hi Sonia
My family and I emigrated over to Calgary in Feb this year so i know what you are going through. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Not so sure about Ontario but here in Calgary Gel is huge and there are more NSS salons than there are regular ones. One thing I do know is that mobile techs are virtually unheard of and those that I have spoken to absolutely love the idea of someone coming to your home to carry out treatments and in some cases are even willing to pay more than they would in a salon. Bear in mind though that part of this is because salon prices are so cheap being NSS most salons offer full sets for $25-$30 - so mobile could be the way to go, you just have to make the most of advertising as a lot of people here do stuff on spur of the moment and get walk in appointments. Even the 2 regulars that I have never make appointments they just call when they are ready for fills!

This describes the situation in Ontario to a tee. I don't live in a big city at all, yet there are 4 NSS shops within a 5 min. drive. And for the most part, people here don't understand there's a reason they do it in 45 min. and it's so cheap.

One of my regulars couldn't make it for her appt. and did a 'walk in' at her local NSS. They used a TIP to pry off her gel. A tip!!!!!!!!! The 'tech' used her own fingernail to work on the cuticles. And of course, yes, it hurt!

They also love NSS for being able to walk right in and get served. And they advertise BIO GEL which is not Bio Sculpture, but a lot of people get taken in.

People tend to go to salons for natural nail care and the chop shops for 'enhancements'.

Yeah i use the Brisa lamp and its fine....both are buff off gels so using the brisa pink .. cure then using the akzentz white...cure...(example) wouldn't be a problem at all. I would say that perfecting any kind of gel is only going to help with using another...xx

I know of an Akzentz distribitor in Toronto who does 121. I have emailed her. I find the Brisa white sculpting gel really hard to work with (I've had success with the clear, but the white looks like a lumpy mess when I do it!), so maybe trying the Akzentz will be a good substitution in the meantime. Thanks for the advice.

That's exactly what I need!!!! Thanks Florence:hug:

This describes the situation in Ontario to a tee. I don't live in a big city at all, yet there are 4 NSS shops within a 5 min. drive. And for the most part, people here don't understand there's a reason they do it in 45 min. and it's so cheap.

One of my regulars couldn't make it for her appt. and did a 'walk in' at her local NSS. They used a TIP to pry off her gel. A tip!!!!!!!!! The 'tech' used her own fingernail to work on the cuticles. And of course, yes, it hurt!

They also love NSS for being able to walk right in and get served. And they advertise BIO GEL which is not Bio Sculpture, but a lot of people get taken in.

People tend to go to salons for natural nail care and the chop shops for 'enhancements'.

I have heard the same thing here Alex, prying of nails with a tip, airbrushing white tips on and saying that enhancements are Gel when they are acrylic. All we can do is try our best and re-educate people as they come our way. I have noticed that alot of people ask me if I manual file as they don't like the e-files (more like the damage they cause when not used correctly) so that is gaining me a few more clients and the other thing is that the chop shops don't seem to be able to custom blend either 0 so anyone with short nails plates or biters come out with huge whites!

I reckon that if we can concentrate on manual filling and custom blends then we should be able to get our own little corner of the nail market here!

I reckon that if we can concentrate on manual filling and custom blends then we should be able to get our own little corner of the nail market here!

I couldn't agree more. That client I spoke of was a litte upset that they used the efile on her natural nail. It seems the efile puts them off more than any of the other unsanitary procedures, or lack of technique. Funny you mention it, because her white was also sprayed on.

I think you're right - we can service the niche group that wants enhancements done in a very sanitary and natural way.

Need to work on my custom blends BTW!!!!

Just to update, I am currently arranging a 121 with an Akzentz trainer.

I have seen her nails online and am very excited to work with her. She said she can help me sort my Brisa problems and introduce me to some Akzentz products I may want to use in conjuction.

I think in the end, this has worked out much better for me.
Thanks everyone for your advice and guidance!:hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back