My therapists have burnt a client -please advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes she did! We had been doing her lashes for over 6 months and she became sensitive and went to A&E and didn't tell us.

The story is far more involved as she allegedges all sorts of crazy things - the main one being that she was advised by us to cut her eyelashes off and rinse her eyes with urine!

She claims her eyesight was blurred and she lost work - so I have had to pay for it!

A total nightmare client who my gut instinct said get rid of after her first visit - a history of self harm and mental health issues that she shared every time she came. Also she admitted to suing a local hairdesser last year as she didnt like her hair - she won the case! Wish I listened to my gut!

OMG that sounds awful, some people just try to get all they can, no matter how many problems it can cause… Hope everything is ok now J

God marie that sounds just like a client who moved in2 my area..... booked in for a full set of lashes then as she was walking out the door tells me that she sued her last therapist :-0 for an eye infection and her hairdresser 2....... after thinking about it i phoned and told her that my insurance wouldnt cover me for it. i would question the extent of her burns surely the wax couldnt have been that hot to need to go back every day and it would be the nurse at her doctors that would re-dress them if anything. Hope everything works out in the end.

Fallon, you won't believe this - this client left the south west of England and now lives in Edinburgh! Got to be a coincidence!?

PM me if you want to compare notes - also recommend you not booking her in again! She is on a mission to make money from decent hard working people.

Just a quick bit of dought!!!

My friend a few years ago was steam cleaning at work when the lid of it came off the machine spilling out boiling hot water and stream all over her she went to A&E they dressed her wounds and she had to go get the dressings changed at her own doctors 2 days later and every 2 days for a while after that!

A & E DO NOT RE DRESS WOUNDS!
It is accident and emergency !!!

I think this is put on alot more than it is DO NOT OFFER HER ANY THING!

A & E DO NOT RE DRESS WOUNDS!

Um, yes they do. They have daily clinics for such things.
One of my most hated jobs when I nursed in A & E was the daily redressing of leg ulcers/drained sebaceous cysts/infected suture sites.

The A & E in my area also have a clinic where you go back to have dressing changed and get reassessed.

I know as I put my hands into hot fat a few years back. I was cooking chips and the basket got stuck - silly me shoved it with both hands and the basket freed and in went my hands :rolleyes:. The only thing in my favour was the fat was still heating up so wasn't at full temperature.

I was rushed to A & E, assessed and had gloves of special cream put on my hands to pull the heat of the burn out, I had to keep the gloves on for 24 hours then return to A & E for a check up and re-dress the hands and had to go back every day for first 4 days then I was able to do the dressings myself at home but had to return weekly for assesments until I was discharged.

By the way my hands are fine and there is no scaring & you wouldn't know I'd ever been so stupid thankfully but A & E can have clinics to change dressings and things like that.

Girls, I have bought the phd system now. I'm told you can't burn and it's very hygienic. We are trying to get used to it, the rollers were so easy.
I've called the client again to see how her holiday went - she went to Centre Parcs for 3 days. She said it feels a lot better and that she has to go to the gp in 2 weeks time to asses it.
I have posted her a voucher for £250 and she thanked me for that. Sounded ok, calmer this time. I said i don't want to pester her but will call back in 2 wks time.
I've posted everything through the insurer,'haven't heard back from them yet.
As to the salon manager and the new therapist, I'm not sure what to do yet...I've put it on hold as I wanted to hear from the client. The therapist is actually doing really well, retailing lots and picking up things quickly. I've pulled her out from performing treatments on clients for a few days and I've gone through treatments myself with her. She's now doing basic treatments but not waxing on clients. I got her to wax all the therapists. But the salon manager?! I don't trust her anymore and feel really let down by her. I've paid for a course for her so can't even fire her - I keep on blaming myself, that I should've done the training with the new therapist.
What do you think?

A friend of mine used to work somewhere that had a contract for courses they get sent on. You have to be at this certain company for a certain amount of time, if you leave right after the course you pay 100% of the course back, if you leave after a year then you have to pay 50% of the course back, if you leave 2 years after you pay 15% of the course back and if you leave after 3 years you get the course all paid for by the company. This also includes if you get the sack within this time too.

Maybe you should make a separate contract for training?

Leanne
X

It's very hard to implement those contracts to be honest... If an employee left right after payday for example you would find it hard to get that money back - agreement or not! As for the manager - does your employee handbook have ANY disciplinary sections and particularly anything on performance improvement plans (PIPs) if not and you want to fire her or discipline her you really need some proper HR advice to void a constructive dismissal claim...you

To be honest, I'm not sure, it was a company my friend worked for, not me!

X

My contracts do stipulate that if they leave within 2 years they have to pay back everything. I can't remember what it is if they get fired though, need to check.

Hopefully everything's sorting itself out which seems to me that it is!

By the sounds of it, your new therapist has had a shaky start and to be honest I take my hat off to her for coming out of it so well as I know I would be a mess! As for the manager only you know what to do, I don't think it's worth firing her but it all depends on if this is another thing to add to the list of her doing things wrong.

You can't blame yourself, it's done now and you obviously have other stress going on so try not to let that get to you.

Good luck and fingers crossed all will be fine in the end!

:)

I would look at the situation with the manager, would you be firing her on the back of this situation alone? Would she not need a warning of some kind before she got fired?
I would take her manager roll away and explain you are accessing the situation and will review it in two weeks! In the mean time keep a close eye on the salon, therapists and comments made by clients! Maybe have a staff meeting and bring up the issues that bother you!

P.s getting phd is good move I have used it since 2006 and love it so much I'd never use anything else! Enjoy it and good luck : ))

Hi July. What has happened since? While I sympathize with the client completely, I would not have filed a claim if someone did this to my leg and I had no scarring or any long term damage. When I go in for a service, I take a risk. I have even slipped in 2 different department stores (1 time I hurt my back for a few days, but there was no long term harm), but I never thought to sue. People are so money hungry these days. In the USA, you need to prove actual damages, and even then you won't get much. I knew someone who got her hands all infected with staff by a nail salon, and she only got $5,000.

Yes she did! We had been doing her lashes for over 6 months and she became sensitive and went to A&E and didn't tell us.

The story is far more involved as she allegedges all sorts of crazy things - the main one being that she was advised by us to cut her eyelashes off and rinse her eyes with urine!

She claims her eyesight was blurred and she lost work - so I have had to pay for it!

A total nightmare client who my gut instinct said get rid of after her first visit - a history of self harm and mental health issues that she shared every time she came. Also she admitted to suing a local hairdesser last year as she didnt like her hair - she won the case! Wish I listened to my gut!

Jesus love!!
I feel for u

Old saying if in doubt leave it out!!

Should have left her outside your shop from the first time your gut went all tingly

Latest posts

Back