My therapists have burnt a client -please advise

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How can I invalid the insurance by offering her the voucher? It's just to say sorry for the inconvenience. It is the therapist's fault, no doubt about, it's nothing she's done wrong.

1. If someone is burnt and needs bandages redone they would NOT be sent back to A & E???
2. I would have asked the client to come into the salon so you as the owner could access the situation!
3. Why was wax ever heated in the microwave? If this is not the manufactures guidelines you might NOT be insured?!
4. Don't ever offer money until you have seen the damage you are offering money for
5. The recently qualified therapist isn't really to blame if she was following what a manager was doing? Yes she should have checked the heat of the wax but if she was being supervised the manager should have informed her of this!

Hope it gets sorted I would inform your insurance company and take their advice on the matter

Really? Shall I not send her the voucher?!
ABSOLUTELY NOT

She can't do anything with a voucher until she gets back from holiday anyway. An offer could constitute admission of liability.

How can I invalid the insurance by offering her the voucher? It's just to say sorry for the inconvenience. It is the therapist's fault, no doubt about, it's nothing she's done wrong.

OK, sorry to be harsh about this.

Do not offer her anything - a voucher, a sorry, anything. Her solicitors will have a field day with it.
Does your insurance booklet not mention this?

I'm insured with BABTAC. Page 13 of the Good Practice Guide states, and I quote:

"Don't admit liability, that you are insured, or promise to pay"

I'm going to shout now!

DO NOT OFFER HER ANYTHING

DO NOT SPEAK TO HER

DO NOT ADMIT LIABILITY, TO HER, TO YOUR THERAPISTS

TAKE THIS THREAD DOWN NOW. IT IS IN THE PUBLIC DOMAIN.

I hear you, Lynne. Thank you.
How do people heat the wax cartons? Am I the only person doing this?

I heat mine in the heater. I use a Perron Rigot modular heater. I wouldn't dream of putting a cartridge in the microwave.

I use phd waxing system you can get from ellisons you should have a look at it, it's cleaner, safer and the the unit heats the wax tubes never go near a microwave!! Read the manufactures guidelines for the system you are using if this isn't being followed you could be invalidating your insurance!?

I use Clean & Easy and top up the rollers with wax cartons.
We do a lot of waxing and couldn't survive with PR modular heaters, we go through a lot of wax.

I dont understand what you are doing with the wax? Instead of buying new ones are you heating up a pot of wax and pouring it into the roller?? Why not just buy new ones there not exspensive and i bet it makes a mess pouring the wax into them, and causes unwanted problems like this. If there were plenty of roller wax heating correctly in the correct heater i think this acident could have been avoided.

I use roller wax and have the heating which fits 6 blocks in, a full leg wax uses around 1 1/2 to 2 block so there is no need to fill them up. Maybe look at the equipment in your salon to prevent problems in the future.

Sent from my HTC Vision using SalonGeek

I dont understand what you are doing with the wax? Instead of buying new ones are you heating up a pot of wax and pouring it into the roller?? Why not just buy new ones there not exspensive and i bet it makes a mess pouring the wax into them, and causes unwanted problems like this. If there were plenty of roller wax heating correctly in the correct heater i think this acident could have been avoided.

I use roller wax and have the heating which fits 6 blocks in, a full leg wax uses around 1 1/2 to 2 block so there is no need to fill them up. Maybe look at the equipment in your salon to prevent problems in the future.

We heat up not the wax tub but the cartons, they are the Salon System ones designed for refilling the rollers.
We do full body waxes, lots of brazilians etc we need the wax ready, can't wait for a roller to heat up 15min or so.

If you are heating in microwave and using other wax to restock rollers I really don't think you'll be insured for this situation, with insurance to be valid you need to follow manufactures instructions, local by laws, health and safety, cosh and insurance guidelines, I am not sure If what your doing is following any of these?

I hear you, Lynne. Thank you.
How do people heat the wax cartons? Am I the only person doing this?

I would never heat the wax in the microwave. The wax cartridge heater is made for a purpose. It is no different to advice about heating a babies' bottle in the microwave, you can get hotspots and it is exceptionally dangerous. Luckily, in this instance, the damage was relatively minimal.

For info I keep a frozen glove of water in EVERY one of my freezers for burns. Burns will continue to burn unless they are adequately cooled, which sometimes can take hours. Luckily I have only ever needed it for myself - when I moved the freezer to get something I'd dropped and burnt my arm on the compressor! Risk assessments?

Could you not buy another heater? If you have the 6 slot heater when one roller runs out if you put another one straigh in by the time you used the other 5 surely that will be longer then 15mins (or your very fast waxers) maybe get a nice box to put lots of the roller wax in next to the heater so the therapists can quickly grab them whiles they work!

I think maybe have a chat with yor girls think of ways you can prevent this every happening again as a new wax heat would be alot cheaper then the money you may have to pay out.

I hope the outcome of this is good for you and the client does get nasty :)

Hi is there an update on this situation? I'm intrigued to find out!

Also what did the manager say about what happened?

I know if it was my salon I would want to train the new therapist myself, just to ensure accidents like this don't happen. It's not nice getting the blame for something like that, the new therapist should know as like u said she has 2 years salon experience. If I were you I wouldn't have kept the therapist on.

I really hope the situation has worked out for you

I was thinking of poor july over the weekend... I really feel for her, and the poor therapist who may even give up her career over this :(
I would have gotten a huge fright if it was me ten years ago just out of college!
Something similar happened to me a few years ago, I was waxing a longstanding regular costumers upper lip everything went fine as usual put on after wax, after care etc etc and she came in the next day and was fuming, she had a big scab on her upper lip. she said that i scalded her. She said she was suing my boss for negligence, any way it transpires that she went straight to the tanning salon across the road and did a sun bed after the waxing and got sun burned! At the time I had the aftercare for waxing on the wall and printed on the receipts. verbal aftercare can be taken as 'your word against mine'
We got a solicitors letter a few weeks later but never heard anything after that.
That was about 4 years ago. some people have no intention of taking you to court but just want freebies. she go sweet F A

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear this I really empathize ass I have been in exactly the same shoes except it was eyelash extensions.
My case has almost concluded and the insurers are paying around 5 k to her for just irritation!
My premiums are also now sky high and it was 2 years of huge stress.

If you know her well enough, ask her to come in to see if you can verbally sort out a settlement - don't put anything in writing! Maybe offer to cover the cost of her holiday - i believe this is what she is angling for! if she agrees get her to sign a document that she accepts this in full and final settlement and acknowledges that you are not liable and that you are not admitting fault.

From my personal experience I wish I offered the girl £1k to go away at the beginning of this nightmare! ( especially relevant in your case as your insurer may not cover the therapist!)

Please never ever use a freshly filled cartridge with wax that has just been heated in the microwave. I have about ten cartridges and always make sure that I have a filled supply of them that have gone cold and are replaced in the CLean and Easy unit as and when required but never ever do I fill a cartridge with microwaved wax then place the cartridge in the unit to be used on a client.

I do hope everything works out okay for all concerned. Must be awful xx:hug::hug:

I'm so sorry to hear this I really empathize ass I have been in exactly the same shoes except it was eyelash extensions.
My case has almost concluded and the insurers are paying around 5 k to her for just irritation!
My premiums are also now sky high and it was 2 years of huge stress.

If you know her well enough, ask her to come in to see if you can verbally sort out a settlement - don't put anything in writing! Maybe offer to cover the cost of her holiday - i believe this is what she is angling for! if she agrees get her to sign a document that she accepts this in full and final settlement and acknowledges that you are not liable and that you are not admitting fault.

From my personal experience I wish I offered the girl £1k to go away at the beginning of this nightmare! ( especially relevant in your case as your insurer may not cover the therapist!)

Seriously?? She sued you because her eyes became irritated?
Dud u do a patch test?

Yes she did! We had been doing her lashes for over 6 months and she became sensitive and went to A&E and didn't tell us.

The story is far more involved as she allegedges all sorts of crazy things - the main one being that she was advised by us to cut her eyelashes off and rinse her eyes with urine!

She claims her eyesight was blurred and she lost work - so I have had to pay for it!

A total nightmare client who my gut instinct said get rid of after her first visit - a history of self harm and mental health issues that she shared every time she came. Also she admitted to suing a local hairdesser last year as she didnt like her hair - she won the case! Wish I listened to my gut!

Latest posts

Back