my washing machine smells!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Florriedee

Reaction score
Help me! My washing machine smells really really bad! Its a washer dryer and it stinks. I was walking my dog this morning and I heard someone else talking about the same thing but I couldn't hear what her friend was saying cos at that very second my friend's dog decided that he just had to have the squirrel and I had to remove him from the vacinity immediately. So my question is does anyone have any words of wisdom? I thought of you lot instantly I had caught the dog and made sure the squirrel was going to live to tease us again tomorrow knowing that there is bound to be someone who can answer my prayer! Can anyone help?! I'll love you forever! Lxxx
Posted via Mobile Device

Try white vinegar on a hot wash....this is what I do...my washer needs doing every so often as I use non bio......I think you're supposed to put something else thru first but can't remember what.....might be bicarb or something similar....look up 'how clean is your house'...it was one of the tips on there
So would think it will be on their website.
HTH Good luck. Xx

Found this site....it's washing soda crystals not bicarb....knew it had soda in the name!!!
http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/diy-repair-help_4.html#cl_q1

Last edited:
My washer doesnt smell but I remember my friends absolutely honking a while ago and I believe it was gunk building up in the tubey bits somewhere....I think she had an engineer out about it but im sure he recommended her to calgon her machine every now and then to clar any build ups.

Personally if ive washed the dogs bed or something...I usually chuck some neat bleach in the powder compartment and stick it on a hot wash before I put anything else in!

Also do you leave the powder drawer out to dry after every wash? if not pull the drawer out and clean it- you will probably find it is quite gunked up! Also do the hottest wash possible once in a while and follow the other posters advise on what to put in the machine.

just doing a boil wash with powder and nothing in the machine will help clear it out.

I use a cup of apple cider vinegar and run the cycle as normal. It should take care of the smell.

BTW, apple cider vinegar also takes out any cat pee smells from clothes. Trust me, I know. :)

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the new colder temperature washing machine powders and detergents might be environmentally friendly and they might make the clothes look clean, but any wash below 60 deg will not kill germs and bacteria. The black/grey goo around the door seal and in the pipes contain germs, bacteria and undissolved fats (another side effect of a cold wash) which will cause bad smells.

A high temperature 'Maintenance Wash' is described on this page Washing machine usage (part 2)

Hiya :)

Soda crystals will get rid of the smell and gunk and also it will keep your machine from hardening up with lime scale (cheaper than Calgon at only between 75p and about 1.15 per bag!). I usually put 2 tablespoons in twice a week with my usual washing and so far so good....... :green:

xx

Hiya :)

Soda crystals will get rid of the smell and gunk and also it will keep your machine from hardening up with lime scale (cheaper than Calgon at only between 75p and about 1.15 per bag!). I usually put 2 tablespoons in twice a week with my usual washing and so far so good....... :green:

Same here. I also chuck in a old towel and run the machine on a 95. I try and do it once a week if i remember lol

Latest posts

Back