Mystery nail problems - expert advice needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xAnnaBannAx

Reaction score
Hi there... at our salon we have a regular client that has been coming to us for over a year...she originally came with horrendous nails...short, brittle, ridged, splitting..little finger nail virtually non existent...you name it!
We gave her Brisa overlays & solar oil.... gradually & slowly they have improved no end her little fingernail has even grown back more recently HOWEVER there are still always problems with them & repairs have to be done etc.
Anyway the mystery is that she has always had bacterial infections (greenies) they come & go.

Please understand that I am fully aware in why "greenies" occur & how to deal with them etc & I have had to deal with them in the past... hers are different because they seem to develop for absolutely NO reason... They come & go on different fingers... Has anybody else experienced anything like this & could maybe shed some light ??

The other thing is that she decided to try gelish as her nails were in quite a good condition & we thought this would be worth a try as the removal and rebalancing would be easier as well, however this dried her nails out too much so we swapped back to brisa.... Now on her last appointment her thumb nail has given me great cause for concern because she had caught it..broke it... Overlay has not only come off but torn her nail like a price of paper... Resulting in a nail that is dangerously thin on the top half & not only thin but her nail looked like what i can only describe as sticking up fish scales ! I've seen some thin & overly dry nails but nothing like this one... Again has anybody seen this before ?

This lady has alopecia (total)... I think this is what affects her nails ??? ( interestingly her toe nails are fine.
She also takes Thyroxine

Thankyou for taking the time to read and if you could help with the mysterious nails I would be very grateful

Anna

Sadly it sounds like one of the unlucky people for who thyroxine has an adverse effect on her nails.
People on thyroxine more often than not go 3 ways, excessive dryness and brittleness, excessive oily weak bendy nails or people who dont seem to be affected by the thyroxine at all.
Gelish would definately be no good for this client who already has dry brittle nails as continued exposure with acetone is just going to make the problem a lot worse, (Acetone and dry nails do not mix) at least not on the regular sort of basis that gelish removal would need.
She is going to have to have her nails kept short and she may even benefit from almond oil milk bath soaks every return visit, just to rehydrate her nails even more, along with solar oil application at least 4 times a day not just morning and night but throughout the day also.
Brisa is the best coating for her nails as the brisa offers the flexiblity that L&P would not, you would probably experience more breakages with L&P as the underlying nails are dry and brittle.
I an't really comment on the alopecia aspect of your query hunni as I dont know how that affects the nails if at all.
But it certainly sounds like the Thyroxine is the culprit, and the thyroid issues she is on the thyroxine for too.
HTH
Jen xx

Hi Jen... Thanks very much for your reply... This lady is coming to the salon tomorrow so I will see how she's getting on this time & maybe I can get a picture of her thumb !

Hi Hun I think the problem is more likely to be her medication thats at fault here. Gelish would not affect the nail plate and just to point busybee in the right direction Gelish is NOT removed with acetone. Those who are not trained in gelish should really not comment with silly remarks!!!

Im sorry but I am going to defend myself here.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/149501-gelish-removal.html
Acetone.
There are plenty more threads on here where Gelish trained technicians are using acetone do the search like I just did.
By people who use and have done the gelish training and have found that acetone removes gelish.
The gelish remover will also contain acetone as all removal products do.
I never said that the gelish is damaging the nail plate I said continued exposure to acetone or any solvent based removal product is going to dry the nails out over repeated use, and as the client already has dryness issues caused by her medication and health problems, repeated exposure is going to make the situation worse.
There was no need for the rudeness in you comment or reply.

Gelish would not affect the nail plate and just to point busybee in the right direction Gelish is NOT removed with acetone. Those who are not trained in gelish should really not comment with silly remarks!!!
Where in my quote did i say that the gelish was damaging her clients nails? I said continued regular exposure to acetone in the removal of gelish will damage her already dry brittle nails caused by her medication and thyroid problem

Last edited:
Hi Hun I think the problem is more likely to be her medication thats at fault here. Gelish would not affect the nail plate and just to point busybee in the right direction Gelish is NOT removed with acetone. Those who are not trained in gelish should really not comment with silly remarks!!!

What is in the remover for Gelish? Acetone was one of the main ingredients when I used it, has it changed?

I'm not a tech, but I thought you might be interested in this link on alopecia, and it's effects on nail growth/issues... alopecia areata - nail changes in alopecia areata
Between that and the (thyroid) medication, there seem to be many reasons for the issues.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back