Nail art paints water base or acrylic

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbles10

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone help. When trying to create two colour flower designs i find that water based paints are too thin to give a good colour coverage and acrylics paints too thick. When looking on youtube at the demos there paints seem to go on forever without the need to re-load any ideas.

:idea:

I always use water based paints and have no problem, maybe your putting it on to thin hun...x

i use acrylic paint, you can add a bit of water to it to have the "thin-ness" you want.

OR i use paint for little figures/characters, like Warhammer and stuff... highly pigmented, really thin as well.

Hi,

Can anyone help. When trying to create two colour flower designs i find that water based paints are too thin to give a good colour coverage and acrylics paints too thick. When looking on youtube at the demos there paints seem to go on forever without the need to re-load any ideas.

:idea:

thanks will keep trying to get the consistency right

Hello
ive used water base and acrilic i find that water base colours you can play more with mix and match but some acrilic colours work ok most of my nail art ive done is with water base more fun more effective play with them both and see whats more fun for you :green:

Waterbased acrylic paints for me to, but it's a good quality though. I have tried several panits, but had the same problem as you.
I attended a nailart class and was recommended polycolor (the waterbased acrylic one and NOT 3d) and I havn't had problems with it not covering.
And a quality brush is essential too...

i agree a good brush is essential and you will find paints you are happy with.

adell

What are "water based" paints? I thought "acrylics" were water based (as opposed to "oil paints") and you washed your brush out with water. I'm going to the shops in a little while, so if someone could tell me what to buy I'd be grateful. I've read Doorie' pot above, but what are the other types i.e. "water based! and "acrylic"? Brand names and what it actually says on the tube would be great, as I'll dither about unless someone tells me! LOL

Some acrylics are oil based some are water based... it tells you which are which on the packaging tho hun....x:hug:

As I wrote : Polycolor is a brand, I use the waterbased one that doesn't have 3d written on it (hope it makes sense)

OOOh thanks very much Suzie and Karen. Sorry for being a bit dim Karen, I thought it was a nail brand, rather than an art brand! Doesn't take much to confuse me! LOL Right I'm off to see what I can find! xx

Don't worry, I'm not always sure how to write things as I'm not english, and it can be difficult to express myself:hug:

Vikki Taylor Dodds (Vikki TD on geek) has just set up a nail art company and she has some amazing acrylic paint. Vikki has been a nail art comp winner for many years and knows what she is looking for in paint in terms of colour and more importantly coverage. I am sure if you message her she will give you all the details :hug:

I've bought some from W H Smith. I'll see how it goes, and if I like it/need better paints, I'll give her a pm. Thanks for the info x

I use waterbased acrylic from The Range

Hi,

Does anyone know where I can buy the polycolor paints mentioned in the UK? I've tried WHSmith and my local (quite large) art supplier and I can't find them. I've tried looking online and can't find anywhere in the UK. I'd like to buy a small set of primary colours and metalic colours.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back