Nail disorder pics...(dont look while eating)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bagpuss

Sleepy Geek Zzzzzzzz
Reaction score
Had a client come a few weeks ago with color gel overlays asking for me to infil....this is her thumb nail.....:eek: she said she has been to a dermatologist and he has tested and ruled out everything fungal or bacterial and said its psoriasis...yes i agree that she does have psoriasis on her nails...(its very clear and obvious on her other nails)....but this nail is surely fungal...? I didn't work on that nail and advised her to get a second opinion.

Attachments

• rob 005.jpg
    rob 005.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,055
  • rob 006.jpg
    rob 006.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 644
  • rob 007.jpg
    rob 007.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,214
  • rob 008.jpg
    rob 008.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 751
  • rob 009.jpg
    rob 009.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 523
I dunno what to say Angie.. feel a bit sick to be honest!

I would have said fungal too.. did they take a sample of the nail for analysis or did they just tell her that it was psoriasis there and then?

Looks like she damaged it too and made the onycholysis so much worse and it looks very crusty under there doesn't it?

they did send a sample away yes, I have seen before that with psoriasis of the nail often comes onycholysis and sometimes bacterial but there is definitely a fungal look about this nail IMO....she is trying to keep it dry but when it does get wet the crust under the nail gets very spongy and thats when she said it hurts....there is also a smell...urghhh

Maybe it was clear when she got the results, but whose to say it hasn't become fungal in the meantime.

Surely the smell would mean the nail was infected??.. I'm not sure:confused:

I had an elderly client whos nails were just like this and they were fungal, she had been having anti fungal pills for 8 months and as soon as they started looking a bit better she stopped takig the pills 2 weeks later it was back I told her she needs to go back to docs and get m9re meds and I refused to do them until it was cleared completly, And yes they stank too, Made me gag.
Jen xxx

I took your advice and didn't look whilst eating but they still made me gag a bit :eek:. I've never come across anything that looks as bad as that before. I think a second opinion is the way to go, and don't treat until it's cleared

I had something very like this on my thumbnail about 3 years ago. I too suffer with psoriasis and eczema. I had a clipping of my nail taken away for analaysis and it turned out that I had a bacterial infection with psoriasis of the nail, although it did look fungal. I was prescribed many creams, used and bought a few myself (even Doctor G) and nothing seemed to work. Whatever I used made my skin sore and my nail wasn't getting any better. After a few months of trying various remedies I done a bit of research on the internet and read an old wives tale about the wonders of using vinegar. I used two drops down my nail twice a day. I started to see an improvement after a few weeks and within 12 months it had cleared up completely. This may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for me. Maybe you could tell your client about my story if it helps. Sorry for the Long thread but I just though I would share this with you.:)

be interested to know what it is. On the bright side, thats a lovely shade of purple !

hahahaha!!!
very true!!

be interested to know what it is. On the bright side,

thats a lovely shade of purple !

be interested to know what it is. On the bright side, thats a lovely shade of purple !

its NCO London Golden Plum ...:lol:

Defo looks fungal to me...

Is that a new healthy nail growing behind the purple.. has that healthy part grown down the nail at all?

I had a client who had a nail starting to look like this, so she gave a clipping to the doc and the doc sent it off. It came back clear.. to be honest, i sometimes wondere if the docs send off these clippings at all

yeah the nail from the cuticle area to just under half way is fine...the re-growth you can see is 5 weeks...

she said that the dermatologist gave her a prescription for a treatment that apparently costs ££££'s (ALOT) so she didn't get it because she felt that amount of NHS money could be spent better on more important treatments...awwwww..:hug:

Hi Ladies (and gents),

finally joined after many months of reading. I love it here! Ok, so I just had to add my two cents worth; being a nurse for many years in addition to a nail tech.

Ready??? Here it comes.....it could very well be a protein stain and residue (hence the smell from bacteria)after some poor handwashing post potty visit. Eww, I know but I've seen it a few times. Yuk and soo hard to get rid of once it's started.

Nice meetin' y'all.:eek: (sorry if that grosed you all out).

Ok, Doug Schoons comment was "this is definatly not a nail that should have salon services performed on...."

I thoroughly agree...

As the pedicurist mentioned, the smell is from bacteria. I would cut this back as short as is comfortable and keep it super clean and well oiled until the new growth comes through and the bed can reattach.

The poor thing....

Latest posts

Back