nail disorders (warts)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bonjovirock4eva

Reaction score
i have being studying nail disorders all day in advance of my training and came across warts i appreceite that they are infectious but i thought only some were?:confused:
also could you carry out a treatment on the client if they covered it up? i think i would feel a bit rude refusing to treat the client because of a wart?
but the book says a wart is a big no no???
xxxx:hug:

You big swot
:lol:

i have a client that suffers them around her thumbs and i still do her nails. I have not got any myself or ever had so i would know if i did get them it would be from doing this client. i know she is actively treating them so i dont know if that is the reason why i havent got them....or if it because i fully sanitise both of our hands beforehand. i am not sure how you get them TBH.......i didnt even think about it really after she said she was treating them.

....or if it because i fully sanitise both of our hands beforehand.

That's it.
I asked a dermatologist about warts and he said a hand disinfectant (like Cool Blue) is well enough to avoid getting them

we were taught you arent allowed to work on ppl with warts on their hands or feet because theyre virii and highly contagious.

i had to have 3 frozen off my finger before they would even let me start school. they wont let you handle food in restaurants if you have them on your hands here, either

Hi. I have done treatments on people with warts before one of my ladies has them growing under her thumb nail. I was told when i trained that warts were a big no no and asked my employer about this before i carried out her treatment and she said to go ahead. ive had her for a year now and so far i haven't caught the virus!! xx

we were taught you arent allowed to work on ppl with warts on their hands or feet because theyre virii and highly contagious.

No No No highly contagious viral infection which you could catch and pass on to you clients.

It's a bit like this if you catch a verucca at the swimming pool the chance is that you have more that one. How do you know if you client only has the one you dont as the next could be under the skin and not show yet.

Again my motto is when in doubt leave it out. in other words dont do it

Warts are very contagious. The skin cells in warts release thousands of viruses, so close skin-to-skin contact can pass on the infection. However, it can take weeks or even months for a wart to appear after you have caught the infection.

You are advised not to work on certain contra indications, it is not so you dont feel embarrassed or make the client feel bad it is to stop cross infection and keeping yourself and your clients safe.
x

i know this is TOTALLY gross but i just saw this commercial about genital warts that said "1 out of 5 ppl do not know they have genital warts and are spreading them." i read that hands are one of the common places to get HPV now days and i was thinking about how many ppl dont wash their hands after they go to the bathroom:eek::eek:

sorry i just thought id share that since we were talking about warts

I think some of the answers from technicians in this thread are very irresponsible.

It is NOT OK, or safe, to treat someone with warts unless you take precautions ... the professional advice always is to cover them with a bandaid or plaster or something before handling.

Cool Blue is not enough protection and simply saying, oh I HAVE A LADY who has them and I've been just fine is not giving good advice to anyone nor is it even following industry guidelines!! Totally unprofessional and misguided advice.

Hi. I have done treatments on people with warts before one of my ladies has them growing under her thumb nail. I was told when i trained that warts were a big no no and asked my employer about this before i carried out her treatment and she said to go ahead. ive had her for a year now and so far i haven't caught the virus!! xx

YOur employer was wrong. If you're not sure then you should look it up.

Last edited:
I hope i wasnt seen to be giving advice on this subject as i wasnt...i was just telling of my experience.
I certainly didnt know that it was a big 'NO NO' and i dont remember anything being mentioned about them in my course....i have just gone back and checked my notes and deff. cant see anything.
Anyway....now i know i need to be more careful. So thank you! :)

I think we all need to consider the source of the question.

The poster has no training. She is asking for advice from technicians on the site that she considers have more experience.

For anyone to say what 'they do' (which may or may not be correct) rather than to give the industry guidelines to a complete beginner will be construed by that person as advice.

So be careful ALL geeks that what we say is correct/accurate and professional.

hi so its no no no dont do
i have a friend of a friend that has a wart on or very near her
cuticle and she wants me to do her nails
so if i put gloves on is it ok or no
please help

geeg what do you think thanks

hi so its no no no dont do
i have a friend of a friend that has a wart on or very near her
cuticle and she wants me to do her nails
so if i put gloves on is it ok or no
please help

geeg what do you think thanks

If you wear gloves or cover the wart with a band-aid that is fine just do not come into contact with the wart, and of course, take the normal precautions for your other clients with tools and towels etc.

I think some of the answers from technicians in this thread are very irresponsible.

It is NOT OK, or safe, to treat someone with warts unless you take precautions ... the professional advice always is to cover them with a bandaid or plaster or something before handling.

Cool Blue is not enough protection and simply saying, oh I HAVE A LADY who has them and I've been just fine is not giving good advice to anyone nor is it even following industry guidelines!! Totally unprofessional and misguided advice.

YOur employer was wrong. If you're not sure then you should look it up.

I'm sorry, didn't mean to give bad advice.

I have to admit that I don't know the contents of Cool Blue; I thought it was a hand disinfectant as I was told so in my CND course.
In my everyday work I use a hand disinfectant that is used in hospitals, somehow I assumed Cool Blue was the same thing and mentioned it just thinking it's a name people on here know. This hospital brand is the one I talked about with the dermatologist. After all, he's a doctor, I thought he'd know.

Sorry, silly silly me:sad:

Latest posts

Back