Nail dust a carcinogen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy_pink_laa

Reaction score
Hello, last week my boss’s panicked and ordered that we now wear face masks (ohhhhh how gorgeous!), after a client of ours who is a chiropodist said that nail dust (from natural or artificial) is a carcinogen (i.e. linked to causing lung cancer). I cannot find any research to support this online, only about formaldehyde which is well known in this industry.

Just wondering if any of you wear masks (if so does anyone have any suggestions for ones that don’t make you feel like you’re wrapped up in a scarf and fogging your glasses up??!) and if there’s any links online into research on this matter.

I know it’s selfish but I’m peeved for having to wear one as it’s uncomfortable and also it’s my choice if I choose to risk my health too (am self employed).

I think it seems mad that you don't want to protect your health for the sake of vanity! you'd look more stupid sat on GP's chair trying to get medication because youv'e overexposed yourself to dust and vapours willingly!
I used to use masks, Creative sell funky pink ones and also Ellisons sell standard hygine masks, both are ok. I don't wear one now as i've just got a four way Purex extraction desk it's fab and you don't need a mask. www.salonstore.co.uk is the web page for them.
At the end of the day I think it looks far more professional to wear a mask or use an extration desk etc it shows professionalism, with Health and Saftey the way it is these days it makes sense!
Lol Lisa x:)

It is not necessarily a vanity thing - I am a glasses wearer and I have tried wearing a mask and all I get is a sweaty face and steamed up glasses LOL.

What do you use instead? I just think it's worrying that people are even considering not protecting themselves, the desk I mentioned in last post is great if you haven't got anything at mo. Also LCN do a dusty vacum it's about £170 with VAT. I do appriciate masks can be a pain especially for people with glasses.:hug:
Lisa xx

Yes, I agree, if you wear glasses, masks are a nightmare....steaming up constantly, unless you don't talk to your client or laugh!!!

I work mobile and dont have any extraction. I am never in one place for that long. I dont wear a mask. I found it horrible. I cant stand the feeling of anything on my face and it makes me feel like I cant breath, and sort of panicy.

luxurynails said:
What do you use instead? I just think it's worrying that people are even considering not protecting themselves, the desk I mentioned in last post is great if you haven't got anything at mo. Also LCN do a dusty vacum it's about £170 with VAT. I do appriciate masks can be a pain especially for people with glasses.:hug:
Lisa xx

Can I ask if you have used the Dusty and if so how effective it is, I've often thought about this as it seems to a great hand rest too, but at that price I didn't want to take a gamble!

I have started to wear a mask, although I couldn't during the very hot spell we had. It's taken me a bit to get used to it, but I've persevered. My clients are fine with it and I only use it when I am rebalancing as otherwise I don't produce much dust anyway. I just decide I really should take my health seriously.

As to whether it's a carginogenic, well everything seems to be linked to cancer these days. I just think we need to take our health and safety seriously regardless of whether it is or not!

I haven't used the dusty first hand, however my tutor who taught NVQ3 Artificial Nail Structures said it was really good so I guess we should trust her!! x

any small dust particles coming from chemicals could possibly be carcinogenic. the dust particles that come from filingand the powder it self are fine enough to be lodged deep within your lungs to cause macrophage activity leading to inflammation. Carcinogenic does not equal you are going to get cancer. Cancer takes years and years of exposure to develop. The inflammation caused by lodged particles in your lungs can exacerbate the health of your lungs. Regardless of whether or not you think it's aesthetically unpleasing to wear a mask...you should do it. any barrier that prevents accumulation of these products should be used.

im sorry - but the way i have read this is this: if YOU wear a mask, what would the client think? "hey she wearing a mask so where the hell is mine" or "WHY is she wearing a mask and im not" i use an extraction fan- so both me and client are safe - best option for me

well for all that kind of questions i think you can find answers in Douglas Schoon books
especially the Nail Structure and Product Chemistry
it s a good buy
i m glad i got it
it has a chapter about carcinogenity

Peter Pan said:
im sorry - but the way i have read this is this: if YOU wear a mask, what would the client think? "hey she wearing a mask so where the hell is mine" or "WHY is she wearing a mask and im not" i use an extraction fan- so both me and client are safe - best option for me
Thats a very good point well made.
xx:green:

Dust is not carcinogenic - however none the less dust is bad to breathe. Extraction is your best bet along twith dust prevention techniques like not creating it in the first place.

fluffy_pink_laa said:
Hello, last week my boss’s panicked and ordered that we now wear face masks (ohhhhh how gorgeous!), after a client of ours who is a chiropodist said that nail dust (from natural or artificial) is a carcinogen (i.e. linked to causing lung cancer). I cannot find any research to support this online, only about formaldehyde which is well known in this industry.

We work with Glasgow University on chiropody/podiatry. One of their guys told us the other day that one of their main concerns is that when you file natural nails you can breathe in any fungal infections that get airbourne.

Yuk!

He said chiropodists have told him that you can taste infection in the dust! :eek:

Must say I didn't fancy my lunch much after that!

One of his research papers is on our site under exPOD if anyone wants to read it.

Purex said:
We work with Glasgow University on chiropody/podiatry. One of their guys told us the other day that one of their main concerns is that when you file natural nails you can breathe in any fungal infections that get airbourne.

Yuk!

He said chiropodists have told him that you can taste infection in the dust! :eek:

Must say I didn't fancy my lunch much after that!

One of his research papers is on our site under exPOD if anyone wants to read it.

omg that's gross - i'm starting to get obsessive now when worrying about hygiene when doing nails and i must say, things like this are really offputting.

how the hell does a chiropodist know what a fungal infection tastes like?????

CadenceAlex said:
omg that's gross - i'm starting to get obsessive now when worrying about hygiene when doing nails and i must say, things like this are really offputting.

I think I'm going to be ill.....I don't use a mask .....but after reading this .....I'm going to full blast my table and work in a bubble!!

purex...

... u telling people that.. isn't a good idea when it comes to wanting to sell nail desks!!!

if this is the case, and nail infections are carried airborne.... then people could just wear heavy duty masks and eliminate dust AND odour.... which could save them hundreds of pounds on nail desks incorporating extraction unit - as a heavy duty mask would be more beneficial than a nail desk. they could just use other cheaper and effective methods!!!

CadenceAlex said:

well whenever I've been to my podiatrist she wears a mask ... and I thought it was just cos of my smelly feet!!!

I think as well that they say it's the really fine dust that you can't see that is the really nasty stuff for your lungs. So can you be really sure that your nail desk is sucking this up too, if you can't see it then how do you know?

Latest posts

Back