Nail extensions £15 :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tashastalons

Reaction score
Hi guys Ive noticed lately that alot of salons, nail techs have been advertising nail extensions for only £15 just wondering how anyone can justify this? Are they using cheap products? cutting corners?

I have been using facebook to help advertise my business but am noticing techs that are advertising at these lower prices to be getting more business.

I am so tempted to just find a cheap and quick way of doing a set of nails but its against what I am! But in these current climates need to earn a living.

Does anyone provide a quicker/cheaper service to pick up business.

Thankyou x

It's the same in my area. Don't know how they can justify it!!!

This will be my 6th week in business and plan to be in for the long haul. I use good quality products and will definitely not be lowering my prices to compete. X

I have my extensions at £15 at the moment but only on a special offer. I only use nsi products too. I do plan on putting them up at some point though. I know someone who is doing them for £7 though, now that baffles me!

Hm I use nsi products too which arnt the cheapest. The thing is I do have clients that are happy paying my prices which I think are reasonable and not too expensive.

How long does it take you to do a new set? It takes me around 1hr1/2 and ive been doing nails for over 5 yrs!! and if I charged £15 I wouldnt make any money. Plus its harder to put your prices up once youve gone that low.

Im thinking of using white tips with a clear gel over the top which would prob take me 40 mins to do and just advertise as express nails because thats the type of nails im seeing going for so cheap. x

I did my nail extensions for £15 when I qualified just to practice and get models. I now do them for £20 and am fully competent. The salons in my area charge £28 so I keep mine low to get the customers. I'd rather do 6 clients a day at £20 each than 2 at £28. It's swings and roundabouts. I also use NSI products x

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=52.555060,-1.279274

I see what your saying but even the NSs are that cheap. I think I'm going to stick with my prices but introduce more offers it's just ashame how things have changed to much i used to work within a salon that charged upto £65 a set but people paid that then because there wasnt as many nail salons around. Just such a drag trying to chase business.x

I think you should start as you mean to go on as its hard enough to put prices up generally, even harder when you have been giving people a lower price as your trying to pick up speed etc.

In my area there is someone charging just £10 for a set of acrylics!! (Full price!) Went and had a nose on her FB page and OMG :Scared: had pics up of pleased customers with nails like spades!! Thick, mahoosive tips, applied to a nail biter, pre-coloured bright pink, more tip than nail!! And people loved them, to be honest, the people that will pay a tenner for that......she can keep them, and us techs that provide top class results, using quality products should be gratefull that we are not having to deal with them. Chin up girls and don't worry :hug:

What you need to look at is the quality of the £15 sets. I'll bet they are not as good as your sets. The lower quality sets will atract the cleint you really don't want, the clients that what something for nothing and will complain about everything and anything to try and get a freebie.

As a fellow Bristol geek, I know there are loads on NSS about but not everyone will want the quality they proved. For example, my best client went to an NSS in Fishponds, they drilled her nail plated, the set was really thick and lifted off in three days. That set cost her £15. She is one of my neigbours and when she heard I'd trained, asked me to do her a set of P&W. Bearing in mind, I'm new, I charged her £20 for the set as I was looking at it as practice. She loved her nails, has had NO problems with them at all and has her rebalance every two weeks, which I charge her £18 for as I'm still taking too long. She is happy to pay what I charge her and has given me "tips" many times. She also knows me fee's will go up to £35 per set and rebalance from £18 when I get up to speed and she is happy to pay those prices as she wants the quality I proved. She has had this set on since April when before she lost sets in days. Now this cleint is normaly a "bargin" hurter (I know, I've been shopping with her :eek:, never again) but even she wants to spend the extra to get a good service.

Hang in there and stick to your guns. The cheap as chips providers will not last and when they ethier close shop ir loss clients, you will still be in business with your loyal regulars :Kissing:. Don't try and compete with something/one who is not at your level.

Sam xxx

One of the main salons in my local town centre charges £10 for acrylics and has done so for the past year or so now I think.

But then there are people who charge £25 a few miles down the road.

I think it all comes down to what sort of clientelle people are trying to appeal to.

There are loads on Facebook but going by the pics of their work they aren't going to keep going!! Here's an example of someone's work I pulled off their pics!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1319498241.416553.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1319498241.416553.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 618
I am a mobile beauty Therapist... I have a nice following on my facebook group. I do get alot of my business through facebook and was doing really well.... UNTIL someone who newly qualified and started advertising Nail extensions for £10!!! next another advertises on the same group I have built my business from....... £12.50 my customers have dropped so dramatically... I cannot compete with these prices with the products I use as well being mobile so god knows how they can? I do not and will not offer the same service because I hope they will soon see the quality of service is vastly different. I have 2 years experience and the others have.... well just qualified after a day course I suspect :-( I know when I qualified I was told to charge £10 for practise.... NO WHERE did it say to charge £10 and advertise to clients lol My services I have watched over the year being taken over by newbies that I far outweigh in experience but I cannot compete with thier prices.......... it is a BIG bug bear of mine... but hey ho tis is life I guess.. just wish my clients had a bit more about them to stick with me for quality... but that is facebook for you. Everyone is out for a bargain. :-(

Ladies , you don't want that clientel that don't want to spend money , let the newbies have this type of service and be sure to pick up the pieces when they fail x x x

I see both sides because i charge 20 at the minute because i dont see 2 years as a nail tech as experienced i see it as a newbie so im still learning on every set i do! I do some clients who have paid £55 a set and have changed to me and said they love my work and come back every 2-3 weeks so just because i charge £20 doesnt mean im a rubbish tech whos just walked out of a day course (i trained with CND and still use their products)it means im trying to perfect my technique so i feel 100% confident before charging pro prices xx

Sent from my X10i

Someone where I live charges £15 but she's awfull, did a four day course and then straight away started on customers, I'm not qualified but I know four days wouldn't be long enough to perfect it and it shows!

Not everybody wants cheap nails! A percentage will be influenced by price and you will never earn good money from these types of clients!

Personally I would rather pay more for a good job!
I've seen some terrible nails over the last couple of years by people who have done 2 days training and opened a shop 2 days later!
They usually close down after a short time because the services they provide are poor and the money they are making is not enough to keep them open!
There was one near me charging £10 for acrylics! They sound like a joke so I just laugh at them and leave them to it. After costs/insurance/tax/rent etc they won't even make minimum wage so I'm pretty sure they won't be doing this for very long!

Last edited:
I've done a 4 day course and am about to take my exam, therefore, am charging £7 for sets for my portfolio and £10 for others. My sets are getting a lot better though and as soon as I've passed my exam I'm going to put them up to at least £20, I wouldnt charge £15 though, even if I am just qualified, I use good quality products, I'm as good as most techs in my area and my nails do stay on :) I just wouldn't be making a profit at £15

I see both sides because i charge 20 at the minute because i dont see 2 years as a nail tech as experienced i see it as a newbie so im still learning on every set i do! I do some clients who have paid £55 a set and have changed to me and said they love my work and come back every 2-3 weeks so just because i charge £20 doesnt mean im a rubbish tech whos just walked out of a day course (i trained with CND and still use their products)it means im trying to perfect my technique so i feel 100% confident before charging pro prices xx

Sent from my X10i

I'm the same, I've been qualified for 4 years (5 day course with NSI) but had a 3 year break due to other committments. Now I am getting back into it, it takes me a while to do a set that I am happy with, so I only charge £15 but I make it very clear that this is an introductory offer until I am 100% happy with my service and time, then they will go up. My customers seem happy with that and in fact I find most of the time they over pay me and call it a tip!! :biggrin:

I charge £17.00 for a tip and 1 colour overlay, I charge £22.50 for pink and whites, glitter or coloured tips. I run my business from home (min over-heads). A mobile nail technician in my area charges £10.00 for any extension, looking at her pics on facebook reminds me why she charges what she does!!! Still don't know how she can make any profit at these prices and run her car!

I use Facebook alot to advertise! And can say I've always charged £20 a set but no so many people charging £10 for full set... But u get what u pay for... So many people have come to me from there £10 sets saying the same afternoon they lift n after 2 days the enhancements r off Yet still go back and pay for infils if there any left!! When they do swallow there pride they come saying about the nails they had done n that they never last yet they go back because there cheaper... Surely quality products and service is paramount and in the long run paying a little extra first out saves u in the long run!! Stick with what your doing people will soon realise.

coup

Thanks for replies guys!

Lynsey pinsy & Lunarstorm I totally agree I think the cheaper the price the more people want for their money!

The amount of clients ive had come to me and said "ive never had my cuticles done before" makes me angry I always educate clients the best I can to make them understand why there are differences in prices.

I have had a goosey at the techs advertising these prices and almost all the pics are the classic big white "chav" spade nails lol but hey everyone has different taste i suppose.

Im going to stick with my prices to not look too cheap nor over priced but give a fair, safe, clean and professional service and produce work that im 100% confident and happy with.

:lol::lol::lol:

Latest posts

Back