Nail File Phobia

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Envy

Reaction score
I have a client that has a phobia of nail files...

Now i don't mean she doesn't like them, I mean a full blown phobia...
If she sees one, or touchs one it makes her feel physically sick, dizzy and want to run... She says it started as a child when her mum would file her nails (all 20) in the lounge...

She also cannot touch or use sandpaper. It's the grit she can't handle.
There is no way she can manicure her own nails...

The funny thing, she loves her enhancements and can't live without them, if I talk with her during the buffing and she doesn't watch it's all ok...?! odd

What I would like to know is, has anyone come across a client like this. I know many people don't like the feeling of buffing, but have you ever had
a client with a full blown phobia??

i used to have a phobia of sandpaper and couldnt stand hearing nail files
but i overcame it and really enjoy filing and buffing now
people used to laugh and say how are you goin to cope
kids would rip up sand paper and put it in bed with me as they knew i hated the touch feel and texture of it all
Debbie x

I have had a client who HATES the feeling, sound, look - everything to do with a file!!! I must say it un nerved me a bit! I kept asking her if she was ok, which probably made it worse!!! lol!!!:o

xxx

Going off on a tangent but still topic related, I have a phobia about my own cuticles (not good eh) I can do anyone elses, but mine I really struggle, I have to grit my teeth and pluck up courage to do them, why I don't know, even when someone else does them, I really tense up and can't watch. But like I said doing other folks doesn't bother me one little bit. Weird aren't I:biggrin:

Joan

well i've had a coupla clients who cringe when i'm filing their natural nails, but never anything this extreme.
does it make you feel nervous performing her treatments ?

One of my clients feels physically sick when i'm prepping her nails, not at any other time during any of her treatments, only when I'm using my prep tools :eek:
not a full blown phobia but verging on becoming one!!!

I have a few clients who dont like the feel when i file theire nails, they say it goes thru them xx

if she had a tru phobia, she would never set foot in a nail salon ....... sounds like a drama queen to me, that would be like someone with a snake phobia going to a reptile park ..... utterly ridiculous

I guess as Nailzoo suggests, its prob not a full-blown phobia as such but, I have an occassional client just like her myslef ... and shes far from a drama queen.
My client finds it hard to tolerate the filing, we also have to talk to distract her and she cant watch what I do either.
At her first appointment she nearly fainted when I prepped her (she'd never even seen nail enhancements done before) and we had to stop and go for a walk around my garden, then we had a drink, then tried again. Shes a lovely girl and only has her nails done for special events like wedding & hols. I sometimes think she would get better over time if she had her nails done more regular (shes never been as bad as the first time) but in all honesty, as her visits are so draining on myself, I dont push it. Lucky for me I work from home, I dont think I could accomodate her in a salon situation.

nailzoo said:
if she had a tru phobia, she would never set foot in a nail salon ....... sounds like a drama queen to me, that would be like someone with a snake phobia going to a reptile park ..... utterly ridiculous

it's probably more of a fear than a phobia. i used to have a client that really didn't like pedicures, used to make her really feel sick when anyone touched her feet, but as long as she looked away and concentrated on something else or watched the tv she'd put up with it.

Latest posts

Back