Nail Polish Debate

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaydee

Reaction score
How many times have you opened a polish to use and it has gone thick and gloopy and you are only half way down the bottle?

How many times have you just thrown it away and opened up another bottle?

Have you ever got down to the bottom and used every last drop of polish......I know I never have with any brand I have used.

I follow the manufacturers/suppliers guidelines of how to store/use the polish but still the same thing happens which makes me ask the question......Why on earth do we put up with this, we are paying for a product and not getting our moneys worth and basically letting the manufacturers get away with it because its an essential product we need in our treatments and will continue to purchase it.

Do you think the suppliers would be happy with their customers calling every couple of weeks asking for them to replace a polish for them that has gone thick, after all we are losing money each time we throw a bottle away.

Where do you think the responsibility lies once the product has been purchased and all guidelines have been followed.
David

Last edited by a moderator:
How many times have you opened a polish to use and it has gone thick and gloopy and you are only half way down the bottle? How many times have you just thrown it away and opened up another bottle? Have you ever got down to the bottom and used every last drop of polish......I know I never have with any brand I have used. I follow the manufacturers/suppliers guidelines of how to store/use the polish but still the same thing happens which makes me ask the question......Why on earth do we put up with this, we are paying for a product and not getting our moneys worth and basically letting the manufacturers get away with it because its an essential product we need in our treatments and will continue to purchase it. Do you think the suppliers would be happy with their customers calling every couple of weeks asking for them to replace a polish for them that has gone thick, after all we are losing money each time we throw a bottle away. Where do you think the responsibility lies once the product has been purchased and all guidelines have been followed.
David

No manufacturer can be responsible for something that happens naturally with all types of paint eventually.

When the solvents are allowed to evaporate from a bottle of polish then they are going to go thicker .. that is the way it is.

Some technicians take an age to polish and the lid is off for more time than others who apply very quickly.

I know salons that have bottles of polish hanging around forever on their shelves (years and years). They have no clue when they bought them or how long they have been around. And then they're surprised to find they've gone thick?

Some technicians share the polishes in a salon and some abuse them and some don't.

If polishes are used regularly and quickly or topped up regularly with a spare bottle these problems don't exist. But even though there should always be 2 bottles of salon stock to do this topping up, YOU try and get people to buy two bottles of salon stock!! Stupidly it costs the same in the long run for not buying 2 to begin with.

One of the problems is that salons keep too many polishes on the racks. I love the concept of the new CND Colour Effects range. Less polishes on the rack, but the ability to make hundreds of colours with them. Roll on September when they are launched in the UK. :) I'm sure nail techs will definitely get their money's worth with this approach to colour.

Polish should be used up quickly and maybe there will be less problems like the ones you describe. But technicians are not going to use up bottles quickly if they have hundreds hanging about the place.

Last edited:
Since becoming a trained professional I have predominantly used CND polishes/enamels.

No I have not got to the bottom and used every last drop, however I must say that I get to about 1/10th, which I am more than satisfied with. I also recognize that some polishes I have, have been with me for almost 7-8 years, are not thick and still perform well - now that is above my expectations of a polish.

Should we hold manufacturers responsible? IMO no, they cannot control what we do to our products in the salon over a period of time. However if I purchased from a reputable supplier and upon opening the polish was thick then I would advise and return - to date this has never been the case.

I am more than happy with my polishes/enamels. and of course I can't wait to get stuck into the new CND range when launched:)

I agree with both Gigi and Andrea - however, there are some pro polishes on the market that I find thicken up way quicker than others. The two I love and have yet had to thin down are INM and Creative. I have had some of my Creative Polishes for 7 years - and I still don't have to thin them down. This is probably due to the fact that I adore those colors and refused to use them on anyone but me - so they weren't opened a lot or for a prolonged amount of time!

I have had some OPI for 9 years, CND for 7 years, China Glaze for 4 years and they have been in my car in the Summer and Winter and are still good as new. I have in the region of 300 vanishes, yes I know I need help!, so don't get to use all of them. I have had some other brands that go thick really quickly but if you stick to these you will get your money's worth.

In my opinion it is the amount of air getting into the bottle either during the application time or due to not tightening the lid properly and keeping the neck of the bottles clean. The odd ones I have had to throw away had loose tops due to clients trying them and not retightening properly.:eek:

Its not air in the bottle, its the solvents evaporating from the colour that is making it go 'thick'. That is in fact how colour 'dries'. For instance, if you take twice as long to apply colour than the average professional, it is logical to assume that twice as many more solvents are escaping than the average pro which also means the colour will go thicker faster than the average pro. Given enough time, the colour will become totally solid :)

Some formulations may have fewer solvents or more volatile solvents and as such may go thicker faster. Formulating colour to get the perfect balance of fast drying and long lasting is a balancing act that requires a bit of a give and take. The good news is that when you break down cost per application, colour is a very inexpensive part of the service ;)

How many times have you opened a polish to use and it has gone thick and gloopy and you are only half way down the bottle?

How many times have you just thrown it away and opened up another bottle?

Have you ever got down to the bottom and used every last drop of polish......I know I never have with any brand I have used.

I follow the manufacturers/suppliers guidelines of how to store/use the polish but still the same thing happens which makes me ask the question......Why on earth do we put up with this, we are paying for a product and not getting our moneys worth and basically letting the manufacturers get away with it because its an essential product we need in our treatments and will continue to purchase it.

Do you think the suppliers would be happy with their customers calling every couple of weeks asking for them to replace a polish for them that has gone thick, after all we are losing money each time we throw a bottle away.

Where do you think the responsibility lies once the product has been purchased and all guidelines have been followed.
David

I would say it is our responsibility for maintaining the products and following the guidelines. i would say its how you store the polishes too. not too be stored in a heated area or near direct sunlight, which many have done. i have never had any difficulties with the polishes that are the cnd products and having the old colours that still hold there colours and apply quite easily too.

Most of my enamels are CND and I have a couple of OPI and Orly. I have had several CND ones for several years and none of them have gone gloopy. I have also used almost the last few drops of several CND colours. Orly haven't gone gloopy on me either. I can't say the same for OPI.

I think it is our responsibility to purchase quality enamels which meet our expectations and to work efficiently.

I used to work with a beauty therapist who would on occasion borrow my enamels which I didn't mind but I used to cringe when I'd see her dangling the brush mid air from the bottle (which she had on her left hand side) over to the clients nails - all the air captured in the process is guaranteed to makes the enamels go loopy.:rolleyes:

Hopefully the new CND range will continue to be as excellent as the current polishes, although I am so overdue for something fresh and new.:)

My clear polishes always go gloopy when I have 1/4 of a bottle left is this normal? was wondering If I should use a thinner or not, and if so can anyone recommend one? (I'm using CND air dry just now) xx

Last edited:
CND polishes do not require thinners (or else CND would sell thinners). :green:

If by chance, a CND enamel goes thick .. just add several drops of Stickey Base Coat to the polish and that should do the trick.

CND polishes do not require thinners (or else CND would sell thinners). :green:

If by chance, a CND enamel goes thick .. just add several drops of Stickey Base Coat to the polish and that should do the trick.

All my coloured polishes are fine had most of them for a few years, just seems to be my topcoats, and I would'nt say I'm slow at applying, but I'll try the adding some sticky thanks Gigi :hug: xx

I hope Im not hijacking the thread I dont mean to I just have a query along these lines.
Both my top coat and base coat have gone gloopy so Im looking to get new ones, Ive seen OPI three in one, base coat, strenghtener and top coat.
Is it any good or would I be wasting my money, is it better to have seperates than a three in one?
:hug:

I am personally not a favourite of 3 in ones,i prefer to have a base and top coat,and i think any brand of base coat and top coat will strengthen the nail,as long as the nail is covered in something that will protect it.:hug:Of course Toughen up is my fav,along with super shiny on top,looks lovely and glossy,and gives the nail a healthy sheen! xx

I've got nail polishes I've had for years that are still going strong and others that are not so old and have to be turfed out.
Personally, even if I've followed the instructions to a T & the polish goes bad, I don't think it's the manufacturers responsibility to make a polish that never goes hard or gluggy.
To me a polish spoiling his a sign it's time to go shopping for some more fab colours :green:

Latest posts

Back