Nail Polish Over Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meli_moo

Reaction score
I applied nail polish over shellac which had been on about a week, However the nail polish begain to chip after a day. :irked:

Does anyone know why this might have happened? Would it stay on better if the shellac was buffed before the nail polish was applied?

I applied nail polish over shellac which had been on about a week, However the nail polish begain to chip after a day. :irked:

Does anyone know why this might have happened? Would it stay on better if the shellac was buffed before the nail polish was applied?

Did you clean the surface of your Shellac with D-Sperse before you polished? Were you using Solar Oil every day whilst wearing Shellac? Did you use a quality polish or a cheap brand? DID YOU USE A BASE COAT BEFORE YOU ADDED THE COLOURED POLISH? Did you add a top coat over the polish? It helps to know these 'details'.

I have never buffed Shellac before polish application and don't see why you would need to.

Hi,
Can't understand why you would want to put polish over Shellac that had only been on one week.
I would just repeat what Geeg has said, what prep did you do & what products did you use? Without that no one can answer your question.
x :hug: x

Really don't understand why you would want to cover up shellac with normal polish ??Seen a few threads regarding this ! Shellac is fab up to 2 weeks wear and stays on with a brilliant shine ! Surely if you need you change your colour every few days stick to normal polish ! ! Sorry but perhaps I'm missing something just thought the whole point of shellac and certainly one of the best selling points for me is that it's a power polish that lasts and looks great for longer than ordinary polish , I certainly won't be offering to cover it up with normal polish !

Really don't understand why you would want to cover up shellac with normal polish ??Seen a few threads regarding this ! Shellac is fab up to 2 weeks wear and stays on with a brilliant shine ! !

Hi!!!

I understand why she wants to put nail polish up the shellac, she wants change for a day her nail color, it`s simple t find this answer my dear:hug:
I have clients, for example, can`t to go work and keep the nails with bright colors so under they like to use one uv gel polish "clear" so can go to work and don`t need to do the nails everyday but, on weekends, they like to come make special design on nails and use a regular nail polish because when the "patty finish" all my " Cinderellas" need to go beck to there work:lol:!!!

Sorry about my English girls, I am not a native speak so I hop you guys can understand my feel grammar mistakes:rolleyes:

:green:Bye bye!

It is stated in the CND videos that should clients get 'bored' with their shellac colour or need to change the colour, they can just apply ordinary nail polish and remove with non acetone.

Why are people so suprized someone would want to change?

It is stated in the CND videos that should clients get 'bored' with their shellac colour or need to change the colour, they can just apply ordinary nail polish and remove with non acetone.

Why are people so suprized someone would want to change?

Probably because I have never had a client who wanted to but I can see there might be times when they would. Nothing wrong in it.

It's potentially a great idea! I've done a couple of special brides lately. Negligee is perfect for the day but the beach honeymoon may call for a fabulous colour. When the colour comes off the nails are immaculate and protected until the 'bride' comes home. Perfect!

I've done this to myself while playing around and experimenting, and it definitely lasted longer than a day. On my toes it lasted a week or more and at least a couple days on my hands before chipping. As far as I remember I just used two coats of OPI colour and the OPI top coat, no base or buffing. It is nice to be able to change things up for a night and then remove the top colour to revert to lovely shiny perfect Shellac underneath :)

im going to be doing this tonight. i love shellac and have had all colours on since buying them. I have an outfit that i want to match my polish to and its green. I know you can make the green with blackpool and iced coral however i dont want to have this colour on for long. What i have done is base, two layers of mother of pearl and top. i will then paint my colour over this for my night out then remove the next day with non acetone remover. Voila!!!!! I cant go without shellac as my nails are still quite weak after being a nail biter all my life however thanks to shellac my nails are really long now. I LOVE SHELLAC.XXXX

Latest posts

Back