Nail tech ,The best training I can get any ideas ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morado

Reaction score
Hi i may have to do my training privately as I'm having a few problems getting in to my preferred college :irked:,but have no idea who would be the best to go with.

I'm keen to get the right training as i want to start my own business ( will include other stuff not just nails)

Do any of you have any recommendations? and How much will it cost ?.as i want manicure with it as iv been told you need it now and i want to do gel's and acrylic if poss.

I genuinely don't know where to start looking or what cost I'm looking at so any advice would be great

xxx

hi there are some really fab companies to train with but i think you need your mani and pedi first before you can do it !!

call some places try NSI and CND they are expensive but you have to invest in yourself your looking at around £700 all together with your man and ped !! or wait for your college to have a place longer courses but cheaper :)

Contact Sweet Squared on 0845 210 6060....they are the Educators/Distributors for Creative Nail Design. Their education programme is untouchable. The course you book on will also include your starter kit which enables you to recoup the money you spent out training with them.
David

Hi Morado,

I've noticed in afew of your posts that your strugglin to get into college due to your age & mix ups within departments ...

IMO I did my Mani/Pedi, Gel/Acrylic/Fibreglass & Silk Extentions & Nail Art courses at my local college & found the training to be very basic.

I'm considering re-training with CND as they are very highly recommended & quite reasonably priced considering what you are learning & the expertise they provide :)

HTH :D x

The best training ive had was with CND very precise, indepth and excellent quality x

Hi,
I tend to agree with funkee nails, I qualified at college in Level 2 & 3 beauty and went back on a 14 week evening course to do fibreglass and acrylic. I found the training basic, I can do a set of nails but feel that I will need an advanced course to really be able to understand the different requirements and type of extensions that can be offered.
I trained in NSI and when I do my advanced course I will go to one of the big training companies.
Also you don't save that much money by going back to college, my course was £750
hth
Heather x

I was looking at CND but couldn't figure out the best option re needing the manicure .. also there not to far away but still a good distance and id be unable to secure any models as that's what they require as all my friends work full time or have young kids so traveling would be out the question for them ,I'm able to but no one else so that puts me off.

I should give them a call i know but like funkee nails has touched on iv been mucked about really bad at the mo so I'm a bit nervous of calling round again.

I was not expecting to be doing this private as i never realised 29 was old :irked:.

I'm already going to do semi perm lash's with flirtys and tan with tantrick ..and iv put away just over a grand for all the training and other stuff ill need to set up but honestly had not thought id have to go private for my nails.. so i need clear costs and the best training i can get ,that's not confusing or a waist of time if you get me.

Thank you so much for all your advice ... i know ill get there in the end just feel a little bruised at mo lol .

College courses are not cheap and private training with a reputable company like CND will get you so much more in terms of quality. Quality education using top quality products.

Clear costs will be obtained by ringing 08452106060 and talking to one of the friendly lovely ladies at Sweet Squared the UK home of CND. Costs are not discussed on this site. They will be happy to post you all the info you need and they may have an educator much closer to you than you think. The best of anything is seldom found on your doorstep and models can be found for you if you ask about it. Nothing is impossible if you want it and private education with CND beats any college education out there.

Just wanted to point out that the college course was a year long one doing nvq2 and was 13 hours a week purely for training to become a nail tech. So it wasn't a evening course or add on for the beauty course, so was perfect for what i needed it also had the option to stay on for another year to do nvq 3 ,and inc photographic work and make up.

Its being changed this year to 17 hours and no make up but to inc nvq2 nvq3 , in that year and i really want to get on it but don't believe i will now so that's why I'm looking at other avenues

Just wanted to point out that the college course was a year long one doing nvq2 and was 13 hours a week purely for training to become a nail tech. So it wasn't a evening course or add on for the beauty course, so was perfect for what i needed it also had the option to stay on for another year to do nvq 3 ,and inc photographic work and make up.

Its being changed this year to 17 hours and no make up but to inc nvq2 nvq3 , in that year and i really want to get on it but don't believe i will now so that's why I'm looking at other avenues

the NVQ in nails is the most basic certificate you can obtain. It is not in depth and is just the basics ... you will go further with a good company course.

College courses are not cheap and private training with a reputable company like CND will get you so much more in terms of quality. Quality education using top quality products.

Clear costs will be obtained by ringing 08452106060 and talking to one of the friendly lovely ladies at Sweet Squared the UK home of CND. Costs are not discussed on this site. They will be happy to post you all the info you need and they may have an educator much closer to you than you think. The best of anything is seldom found on your doorstep and models can be found for you if you ask about it. Nothing is impossible if you want it and private education with CND beats any college education out there.

There not cheep (college ) but for me id get a very reduced rate if not free course. i have saved up for the other training as i truly believe that they will add a huge amount of revenue in my new business ,but the nails is something iv wanted to do for 10 years.So for me the private training is something i was not expecting

There not cheep (college ) but for me id get a very reduced rate if not free course. i have saved up for the other training as i truly believe that they will add a huge amount of revenue in my new business ,but the nails is something iv wanted to do for 10 years.So for me the private training is something i was not expecting

I understand perfectly.

However you asked the question in your original post and I have answered with the best advice I can give you. If college is not an option then CND will not only serve you well but in fact will be the better course with better products ... win win.

the NVQ in nails is the most basic certificate you can obtain. It is not in depth and is just the basics ... you will go further with a good company course.

really ??,it inc nail ext and gel extensions,and second year Fiberglas silks ect and nail art
in fact this is on for this year the one i wanted to join and has been put in to one year 17 hours i was told

NVQ 2 nail technology
fulfil salon reception
Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
Promote additional services or products to clients
Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
Provide manicure services
Provide pedicure services
Carry out nail art services
Apply and maintain nail enhancements to create a natural finish

NVQ 3
Enhance and maintain nails using UV gel
Enhance an maintain nails using liquid and powder
Plan and create nail art designs
Develop a range of creative nail images
Plan and provide airbrush designs for nails

I can appreciate your confusion, but do as Geeg suggests. I did a college course, purely because I wanted a vtct <after I'd initially trained with cnd> and it still upsets me to think about the way I was treated and the poor standards being taught. I realise that not everyone will have experienced what I did, but it was awful. I felt sorry for the girls starting from scratch, as what they were 'Learning' was never going to get them anywhere! :irked:

really ??,it inc nail ext and gel extensions,and second year Fiberglas silks ect and nail art
in fact this is on for this year the one i wanted to join and has been put in to one year 17 hours i was told

NVQ 2 nail technology
fulfil salon reception
Develop and maintain your effectiveness at work
Promote additional services or products to clients
Make sure your own actions reduce risks to health and safety
Provide manicure services
Provide pedicure services
Carry out nail art services
Apply and maintain nail enhancements to create a natural finish

NVQ 3
Enhance and maintain nails using UV gel
Enhance an maintain nails using liquid and powder
Plan and create nail art designs
Develop a range of creative nail images
Plan and provide airbrush designs for nails

I have done three NVQ's so I know all about the syllabus .. I have taught it and I am an assessor and internal verifier. :lol: It is the basics and most who finish it do not feel competent to start in business with any degree of skill. Hundreds on this site will tell you the same. You may not wish to hear it but it is the truth.

I think what geeg means by basic is with the skill i.e you can do nvq that covers all systems but it will gain you a basic skill in all. With actual product training i.e CND or NSI etc you great real indepth training which goes into the most tinyest of details and you also get lots of brilliant tips and tricks which will help your services and business to grow.
The product training is allot more advanced than college training.
Hths x

The NVQ is basic and I mean very basic.....I have learnt more about nails from training with my product provider (CND all do jazz hands please) than I did at college. Their business is nails, they know all things about nails and continue to invest in their company to educate and give us even more knowledge, skills and products. Colleges and NVQ standards are 'set' so you are never going to learn about new and updated techniques as and when they come up......
David

If your unable to ask any of your friends to be a model, I'd ask CND if they would be able to help with a model & explain your situation.

I'm sure with what I've heard about CND & their excellent customer service & training, they would be able to help you with a model :)

I'm sure alot of ladies wouldn't turn down having her nails done :) I'm sure I wouldn't hehe!

The above is only of course if you go with CND or another highly recommended training provider.

But I've done 3 courses now with my local College & have learnt from all 3 that the training is extremmely basic, the lecturers look at the classes progress as a whole & not as individuals & I do believe alot of people will agree with me that has done their VTCT with college.

If you have the saved up pennies, I'd strongly suggest you spend wisely with the best training you can afford as I think the training is the start of your career & money well spent :)

I wish I did my research back in the day before I wasted my time & money with College.

HTH :D x

I really do agree with whats being said here, I did the nail extension course at college evenings because I didnt really enjoy or feel comfortable with my manicure skills at college, it wasnt a treatment I enjoyed so I thought Id do the nail course as it might help me gain confidence and also be able to offer my clients nail extensions also.
I have left as I have already said, knowing how to put on a set of nails but not being sure on the process ( where and when do you use line out/ primer) have never been shown how to do overlays with pink and white acrylic, only with white tips overlay with pink acrylic, I didnt do ONE smile line at college and yet passed my assesments. I don't really have any understanding on how to deal with different nail types and shapes.
The NSI cd that came in our kit taught me more and then I just practised, practised and practised.
Sorry to be all doom and gloom but this is really how I feel.
H

It is the basics and most who finish it do not feel competent to start in business with any degree of skill. Hundreds on this site will tell you the same. You may not wish to hear it but it is the truth.

I for one will second that! I don't feel at all confident in my work, because my college course was "basic". I've since done an induction day with CND in both L&P & Gel and they were fantastic and this has helped my confidence, but I so regret not having had the advice you're getting now and went with CND from the start! Good luck with your training, whatever you decide to do.:hug:
Carol

Latest posts

Back