Nail Technicians Branded As Dumb!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leshell

Reaction score
Hi geeks I just have to get this off my chest.... I was reading this months Nails magazine and there was an article about training and the standards within the nail industry ... anyway I read on to find that someone, within our own industry, had said that people who do beauty and nails tend to not be very good academically!!! saying that we are better at practical things and that is why we choose Beauty as our career!!! (saying we're quite dumb !!!!)

Well I'm fuming cause I have:
10 GCEs
2 Alevels
2 NVQ's
Accounts Qualifivations
Level 3 Computing and typing Qualifications
and i chose this proffession as its something i ejoy as most of u will hopefully agree !!!

sorry it's a bit long but had to just say xxx

Soooo agree I find it's funny how clients attitudes change when they find out about my background-

11 GCSEs
3 A-levels
BSc Psychology degree
CIBTAC and CIDESCO

They then get jealous when they realise I have chosen a career that is fun, that I love and is very academic if you want it to be!

It's just a perception we need to change :)

Hey well I'm certainly not dumb as I have many qualifications in different areas could list them all but there are a few!!! BUT I do think that I'm much better with practical things than I am with written. Really hate written work has always been the bain of my life & so yes in a way I find I lean towards more practial things!! My sister on the other hand is better acedimically & not practially!! So maybe there is a little truth in some ways to this statement. :) As people like my sister wouldn't go into our line of work as its not their strong point. I have never come across anyone though really that thinks I'm thick because of what I do In fact its the opposite as they all generally know how much effort & hard work I've put in to get where I am!! You'll always get one that has to joke about it but I don't take it to heart & generally laugh it off or give as good as I get!!

I agree that some people are more one then the other but in this case the aim was at the beauty therapist being on the dumb end of the scale!! xx

To be sucessfull in our industry not only do you need to be skillfull but knowledgeable to ....... the biggest shame of this ,is it is from an industry publication rather than the garbage used to wrap our fish and chips !!! Jmo x

why dont they say that about all manual workers then???? thats all about practical not written?
its because we look good and do a job at the same time

I wouldn't say i was dumb but i am not the brightest bulb in the pack either...not very academic at all and thats ok with me..i get on and i am proud of myself...i don't pretend to be something i am not and people take me for what i am...but thats not why i decided to do nails...i decided to do nails cos i fell in love, it made me happy and if that makes me dumb then so are all the other people out there in high academic jobs that are totally miserable in them....now that would be dumb !!!

we are what we are and make no excuses. xxxx

When I tell peeps I was a qualified nurse before turning to nails and beauty, they raise their eyebrows and say, 'OOOOH really'? and I'm thinking, 'Why does that suddenly impress you'?

Actually I had a phone call from a recruitment agency in the summer and as we got chatting we both realised we went to school with each other.

This lady turned round and said to me.... 'I never had you as being a Nail Technican' of course I aske her why and her reply was...'you always came across as really intelligent at school' I laughed my socks off I was so surprised.

It wasn't til I put the phone down that it sunk in that she had both complimented and then insulted me. When I think what you have to learn and understand in this industry!

They all seem to think we're thick! :irked:

Can I just say that having no or only a few qualifications does not make you dumb either everyone is different and are good at a variety of different things.
I hated school didn't stick in and left with only 2 or 3 grades I personally don't think I am dumb I have always been better with my hands (well thats what my hubby says any way:lol: )

Since I have left school many moons ago about 19 years I have brought up 3 kids always worked and now done my L&P, Brisa and Spa with Creative so Academic Qualifications aren't everything mind you you wont catch me telling my kids that :lol:

This reminded me of how when I did my beauty course we had a lot of foreigners (Japanese, Indian, Russian) some of the British girls thought that they were stupid as they took longer to learn! They hadn't noticed that not only were these girls studying in a foreign country, but in a different language too!! These girls were dumb therapists-so yes there are exceptions!!!

so many people dont realize how much work is involved in what we do and we do it cause we love it .... i was soooo dissapointed when it was published from our own magazine :( xx

well i didnt have any qualifications when i left school (i got pregnant instead ..not that i think that is clever and i do NOT reccommend it )
but ...i dont care to be honest ...
i am not very intelligent ...but im not thick either !
i am doing something i love ,i have brought my kids up so far to be polite .well mannered ,bright and one is a school counciller 2 years on the run ..(chuffed) woowoooo
so im not doing to bad ..yes i could have done better ,but hey ho ..so is life !!!!!

How many people can say that they love waking up in the morning and going to work?

not many people can say they really love there jobs and i think thats the big plus side working in this industry.:green:

People with bad comments about working for the industry ie its a dumb job etc etc are just jealous that they havent got the artistic skill to pull off this job and are jealous because there proberely miserable in there own jobs!

Hi geeks i just have to get this off my chest.... i was reading this months Nails magazine and there was an article about training and the standards with in the nail industry ... anyway i read on th find that some one with in our own industry had said that people who do beauy and nails tend to not be very good accedemically!!! saying that we are better at practicle thing that is ehy we choose beauty as our career!!! (saying we quite bumb !!!!)

welll im fuming cause i have
10 GCEs
2 Alevels
2 NVQ's
Accounts Qualifivations
and i chose this proffession as its something i ejoy as most of u will hopefully agree !!!

Which magazine is this in ?

i agree elle ...i love my job :Love:

I got the same reaction from my own family when I told them I was going to open a salon. my grandma said "but your so intelligent". Yes, and that is why I am going to succeed in whatever I want to do with my life :)

My mum said that at least I had my education (a masters in communication and english) and that would never go away, so I could always get a "real" jobb when I grew up :mad:

i told her I probably wouldn't have the knowledge to open a salon if I didn't have my masters, and I use it all the time for doing my marketing :)

She took it back when she found out how much work it is, and how much you need to know in order to have a succesfull business.

So, in my opinion... a masters I can do everyday.... making sure my business runs smooth and is sucessfull... now thats an acomplishment!
That's something my very well educated family has never done!:lol:

Hi geeks i just have to get this off my chest.... i was reading this months Nails magazine and there was an article about training and the standards with in the nail industry ... anyway i read on th find that some one with in our own industry had said that people who do beauy and nails tend to not be very good accedemically!!! saying that we are better at practicle thing that is ehy we choose beauty as our career!!! (saying we quite bumb !!!!)

welll im fuming cause i have
10 GCEs
2 Alevels
2 NVQ's
Accounts Qualifivations

Is this post meant to be ironic?

dumb??? do they not realise how much science is behind the products we use? that you also need a good grasp of biology - (anatomy of hands, feet, skin, muscles etc)

i have 10 gcses all A-C, 3 A levels (Business Studies being one of them) a National Diploma and HND (which i passed with a distinction may i add)

I may not the sharpest pencil in the box at times but im certainly not thick.
People tend to have that opinion on people in the beauty industry for some reason.

Latest posts

Back