Nail trauma, advice needed please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailspirit

Reaction score
Hello!

I had a client who knocked her finger quite badly. I saw her today and took some pictures. I told her to visit a doctor and show them the nail. It looked quite bad and i had really no idea what should i do. I did clean and desinfect it of course. I would have liked to take the lenght down but was afraid to damage the nail even more.
She has had long nails and is quite used with them. This was just an unexpected accident.
Has anything like that happened to anybody and what are the results? What should i have done.
She lives quite near so i can get back to her quickly. I just wanted to ask some advice from you geeks first.
I feel so bad for her...
Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2311.JPG
    IMG_2311.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_2312.JPG
    IMG_2312.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 239
its hard to say without seeing it more clearly but if you were unsure then you did the right thing by not doing anything to it.
is it just at the cuticle area? if so then i think i would reduce the length right down.in some cases applying gel,acrylic etc.. can actually protect the damage and therefore help with recovery.
was it bleeding?

It was not bleeding. But there was some liquid surrounding the nail from the cuticle area and under the free edge.
One side of the nail was kind of popped out around cuticle area. I could not see was it just the cuticle area because the nail is covered with cover pink powder.
Client said that it didnt hurt but felt loose and weak. It happened already on friday.
Would it be wise to call her back and reduce the lenght with my e-file? Im afraid that the movement of the hand file will just loosen the nail...

Hi

I think i'd cut it down rather than file it. It looks like she's ready for a maintenance appointment at which point you can soak and start again, but not until the nail has healed. It probably didn't hurt at the time, but i suspect that it will do in the not to distant future and if she catches it again - boy!!!!!

I did those nails last thursday. That nail looks like that because it really has popped to the surface. Other nails were like new. So thats why it looks like shes ready for rebalance.
I would be really afraid of clients reaction when putting that nail to product remover/acetone though:rolleyes:. I dont even want to think about her hitting that nail again...:eek:.

In that case hun i think it's beyond repair! Cut it nice and short - which i'm sure she's not gonna be happy about because it looks fab - but if that comes off it's gonna take nail plate with it. I think i'd recommend a plaster round it too so that catching any loose product near the cuticle will be avoided until the nail is ok to work on again.

That's just what i'd do - others may have other ideas! xxx

Thanks Maggie:hug:.

Hi, may I say, great nail,love the colours/length etc.

I would do like the girls say, cut it very short, don't efile or file, and let her get a Doctors opinion, cause if that is not blood, it is puss ( looks like it ) and for that she needs the opinion of the Doctor/s.

My goodness, she has done a wonderful job of this, how the hell did she do it, it looks so very sore :-(

That looks really bad at the cuticle like you have said it has jumped out from the proximal walls on one side, I would be tempted to refer her to a doctor for medical advise as it could get infected very easily due to the position also she may run the risk of losing the nail with permanent damage to the matrix, I think your original gut instinct was right.

Karen, yes that is what i thought happened. And im really scared for her. But she seemed quite calm. She asked if she looses a nail how much area does acrylic needs to attach. So that she could still have nails:lol: (much shorter of course).
She sayd she was playing with her dog when it happenend.
And thanks for the compliments about the nail:hug:
About cutting the nail? You mean like tip cutters? Im still so scared that it will cause too much pressure on the loose nail. Its not the normal shape nail and the edges edges will cause even more pressure. ??? But then again i know that leaving it like that may cause even more damage. Im stuck...

Is it wise to wait what the doctor is saying and then continue with what doc is suggesting? I doubt though that the doc will do anything to the nailenhancement...

Thanks guys for all your help and effort :hug:

No they probably wont do anything with the enhancement if they dont suggest going to casualty where they might. If the doctor says you should give it a chance to heal over before attempting any treatment then I would probably soak off when comfortable enough to do so without clipping or filling as you have said any pressure could cause further damage, keep the natural nail short covered & clean (obviously LOL) and see if it reattaches itself if there is no damage to the matrix then it should reattach. My mum did something similar to her nail/finger tip with an overlay on she clipped the top of her finger including some of the nail into the nail bed with tree cutters whilst gardening at my brothers, he is a nurse and took her straight to casualty they cleaned and dressed the area but suggested the enhancement be left on until the skin healed over enough to soak it off I know in some respects it is totally different but may help you. Hope it all goes ok. I too would be gutted if I couldn't have a set of your enhancements they are beautiful.:)

i think the only way you will know weather to cut or file the length down is to try and see what is more comfortable for her,i understand what you are saying about the shape so you may find cutting harder.i would be worried for her catching it and doing even more damage.even if you then left it for a while before re applying and if she feels more comfortable she can always apply a plaster.
its always quite difficult when something like this happens on a client because when its yourself you know how it feels and what hurts etc... but im sure your client would let you know if what you were doing was painful.
good luck in whatever you decide to do and let us know how it goes hun.x

Evening!

She went to the doc today. At first reaction they decided to leave the nail where it was. But on second thought they checked more carefully and noticed that the nail was only attached from one corner. So they did remove it all! There was already a new nail growing under.
My client remembered that in childhood she had left that finger between the door. And i did notice a funny triangle shape in the middle of that nail when doing her nails. So it was already weaker then the others. The doc also thought because of that it popped off so easily.
But she was left with directions to clean the nail with plain water and be careful:lol:.
She is booked in for a rebalance of the others and she didnt cancel it. She was happy that it got sorted and sayd that now we just have to wait for it to grow back. Oh i just love her:lol:
But i will keep you posted how it will go on. Just because maybe someday some of you might seek for advice in the same matter.
Thanks all! :hug:

thanks for the info aet,your right as someday one of us might need this for future reference.
im glad your clients nail is now on its way to being fixed and that she has kept her appointment with you.what a great client,lol.x

Latest posts

Back