Nails are burning.....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsbyJess

Reaction score
I've had gel nails on for about a year now...I have a bad habit of taking them off and trying out different things, so I've REALLY thinned out my nails.
Its so bad that my nail can't be without any gel on them, they are so soft. They've actually started splitting vertically sometimes and if I add any length to my nails, onycholysis starts appearing, or so what i think it looks to be like.

I've been doing gel overlays on my nails and it helps, but after awhile, I need to redo them again...so I tried doing an overlay but the free edge keeps separating. I have been using akzentz options line for the overlays, they kept peeling, so i attempted to try T.E.N and the same thing happened the next day...I've just buffed down the pieces that separated but you can see bright red marks on my nails...

When I don't have any product on, my nails actually BURN...! They hurt to the point where I cant even touch them. I can't wash my hands without having huge throbbing pains...

i just don't know what to do anymore...I figured I would try the overlays and do my best to not touch them and let them grow out but they keep peeling at the free edge. I was gonna attempt to glue tips, but to fathom the idea of blending the tips kills me...

someone, anyone...please tell me what I should do...or can try....other than the obvious...stop playing with them...

Have you been removing them with your teeth as well as over-filing them?

They sound very tender and sore...
I'm surprised you can even put them under the UV lamp when curing the gel, that must be mega painful?!?!

re what to advise... I'd say LOTS of TLC and LOTS of Solar Oil (or another good quality oil), they need nourishing to help with the strength while the damage grows out and it will also help the onycholysis providing you apply it regularly.
Personally I would stay away from overlays for now and try polishing them instead. The more you thin them out the more difficult it is for enhancements to last on them, you need a good foundation (healthy nail plate) for enhancements to 'last'

Have you tried silk wraps?
I tried out buff off gels a while back and they started lifting in weird spots so I ended up just ripping them off and I had the same problem. My nails are weak to begin with but that REALLY thinned them out. I couldn't put gel on because it was gonna burn, but I couldn't leave them bare because they were really sore, so I gave myself a double silk wrap, and then gel over that. Worked out very well :)

I don't think you even need the gel (I have to wear them for work). If you're a shellacker, you could try shellac over the silk. As long as you have a protective layer, the gel won't burn.

Oh, and like Sandi says, Solar Oil!!

I think you could have shellac done with out silk first , with shallac there is no primer no buffing off the shine ect so you wouldn't have to add anymore damage to your allready thined out nails,

Shellac is made for natral nails , it might look thin but it's flexible enough to give the support your nails need,
I don't think that you will feel the heat with shellac as I had a few clients who had been getting there nails done at NSS and they didn't have any discomfort.
But there is always a chance .

Otther things I would do,

Don't have your nails in water for long amounts off time,

Solar oill ( as already said )

And keep them very short almost no free edge they will grow fast but keep them short for at least 3/4 months.

i agree with the two posts above.

also, i know this sounds insane, but start taking some prenatal supplements.

your nails will be back to normal in no time. :hug:

I'm glad you posted this as I have one nail the same, looks red underneath and has a vertical split. It's not sore but just tender, I'm aware of it all the time.

I've just been putting strengthener on it and polish, but it's still the same (only been 2 weeks). I'm actually doing a nail course next week, so dreading having someone 'work' on it!

Same here, I have a tender nail, very pink and shiny on the free edge and have a vertical split because of gels at college.

I would put Shellac on but can't because of my course so will just have to SolarOil lots.

I'm querying the use of Shellac (or any UV cured products) due to the exothermic reaction (heat spike) from having very thin nail plates.
It's not that I disbelieve that it would help, more a case of not wanting to cause anymore discomfort or pain to the affected nails.

I'm querying the use of Shellac (or any UV cured products) due to the exothermic reaction (heat spike) from having very thin nail plates.
It's not that I disbelieve that it would help, more a case of not wanting to cause anymore discomfort or pain to the affected nails.

Do you think it's better just to put oil/strengthener/polish on?

I would go back to basics, use solar oil 2 x every day, hand cream regulaly and use rubber gloves to do house work and stuff. Your nails need TLC and a break from everything else!

Do you think it's better just to put oil/strengthener/polish on?
That's what I (personally and professionally) would advise.
If the nails are splitting/peeling/breaking as well as being thin and sore then why put more stress on them?
Tender Loving Care is what's needed here and lots of it :green:

Like I said, that's my opinion both on a personal and professional basis.

Sounds like all of you are filing the crap out of your own nails.....
perhaps just for a change get your nails done by someone you know is a "shyte hot tech", watch how they work and how it feels.

WE often have a pain threshold ourselves, that we wouldn't bear if someone else was doing it....... and many techs file their own nails while not even concentrating like we would do with a paying client (I hope).

Keep in mind there are only so many layers to your nails, then you basically have flesh and nerve endings ..... perhaps you should change to a soak off gel, then you won't have to rely on your own filing technique.

The reason they split down the middle (and the separation) is the fact that the middle of the nail is the highest point of the "C" curve of the nail and you are not allowing for the "C" curve of the nail when buffing it off and are favoring the center of the nail (hence the thinning and redness), basically filing off the middle, but ignoring the curvature of the nail, if you buff correctly there should be no redness of the nailplate at all.

You would be annoyed if someone did it to you, so why do you do it to yourself?

Sounds like all of you are filing the crap out of your own nails.....
perhaps just for a change get your nails done by someone you know is a "shyte hot tech", watch how they work and how it feels.

WE often have a pain threshold ourselves, that we wouldn't bear if someone else was doing it....... and many techs file their own nails while not even concentrating like we would do with a paying client (I hope).

Keep in mind there are only so many layers to your nails, then you basically have flesh and nerve endings ..... perhaps you should change to a soak off gel, then you won't have to rely on your own filing technique.

The reason they split down the middle (and the separation) is the fact that the middle of the nail is the highest point of the "C" curve of the nail and you are not allowing for the "C" curve of the nail when buffing it off and are favoring the center of the nail (hence the thinning and redness), basically filing off the middle, but ignoring the curvature of the nail, if you buff correctly there should be no redness of the nailplate at all.

You would be annoyed if someone did it to you, so why do you do it to yourself?

Maybe because we're learning and everyone has to go from not knowing anything at all...to (hopefully) becoming a good nail tech don't they?? I personally am happy I've done this on myself as that will now make me more aware of my filing/buffing.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!:)

Maybe because we're learning and everyone has to go from not knowing anything at all...to (hopefully) becoming a good nail tech don't they?? I personally am happy I've done this on myself as that will now make me more aware of my filing/buffing.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!:)

Julie, I sense some kind of offense at my advice in your response (maybe i'm wrong).

You either want to learn, or you don't, honestly, i'm appalled at the questions and problems some techs have when they have had training and are now apparently "qualified" to work on what I would call "victims", rather than clients......

Obviously they have not been taught correctly, maybe I am too blunt, maybe I make too much sense ....... the nail has a 3 dimensional shape, which has to be followed .... these are the little things which to me are quite logical, which obviously have not been taught correctly by some educators.

Please don't take offense when someone makes sense and is direct when answering a problem or question, otherwise those that can actually make heads or tails of your questions or problems may actually go underground and leave you to your own devices ....... then what's the point of a forum?

Some things can't be sugar coated and you really should listen, rather than arc up.

So many of the former (yet current geeks) have become "lurkers", rather than valued "advisors", due to offense being taken at their sage advice being taken offensively by sensitive and defensive newbies so the truly exerienced don't contribute anymore.

Even more experienced techs gets sick of being kicked down and being made to feel bad when offering sensible advice, only to be taken the wrong way when they bring attention to the obvious (which you/they (as a new tech) should have been taught initially).

I can't help the fact that many have made bad decisions in regard to their initial training.

I'm here to help (as are many others) ..... :)

All you have to do now is listen, then put into practice what you have seen in here.

Sometimes there is no need for comment, just take it on the chin and do it.

As I mentioned beforehand, "maybe I'm wrong" in what I "sense", but just like some comments can make you feel insecure, your comments can do the same to others (even us oldies) .......

BUT ........ who is the one wanting advice ?

Sorry for venting, but I think this is on the minds of many of the wiser more experienced techs that get a little bit sick of trying to sugarcoat a credible answer based on their years of experience VS the sensitive/defensive attitude of a relative newbie.

Peace, love and Mung Beans :)

Julie, I sense some kind of offense at my advice in your response (maybe i'm wrong).

You either want to learn, or you don't, honestly, i'm appalled at the questions and problems some techs have when they have had training and are now apparently "qualified" to work on what I would call "victims", rather than clients......

Obviously they have not been taught correctly, maybe I am too blunt, maybe I make too much sense ....... the nail has a 3 dimensional shape, which has to be followed .... these are the little things which to me are quite logical, which obviously have not been taught correctly by some educators.

Please don't take offense when someone makes sense and is direct when answering a problem or question, otherwise those that can actually make heads or tails of your questions or problems may actually go underground and leave you to your own devices ....... then what's the point of a forum?

Some things can't be sugar coated and you really should listen, rather than arc up.

So many of the former (yet current geeks) have become "lurkers", rather than valued "advisors", due to offense being taken at their sage advice being taken offensively by sensitive and defensive newbies so the truly exerienced don't contribute anymore.

Even more experienced techs gets sick of being kicked down and being made to feel bad when offering sensible advice, only to be taken the wrong way when they bring attention to the obvious (which you/they (as a new tech) should have been taught initially).

I can't help the fact that many have made bad decisions in regard to their initial training.

I'm here to help (as are many others) ..... :)

All you have to do now is listen, then put into practice what you have seen in here.

Sometimes there is no need for comment, just take it on the chin and do it.

As I mentioned beforehand, "maybe I'm wrong" in what I "sense", but just like some comments can make you feel insecure, your comments can do the same to others (even us oldies) .......

BUT ........ who is the one wanting advice ?

Sorry for venting, but I think this is on the minds of many of the wiser more experienced techs that get a little bit sick of trying to sugarcoat a credible answer based on their years of experience VS the sensitive/defensive attitude of a relative newbie.

Peace, love and Mung Beans :)

VERY WELL PUT.
Please come back all you knowledgeable Geeks, we need your help & expertise.

I have learnt so much on these sites & FOR FREE..... you can upset me as much as you like as i'm not likely to make the same mistake twice.x

No not at all...I didn't take offence and sorry if it sounded that way. I was merely trying to say (maybe not very well!) that the reason I've made this mistake is that I'm a complete novice, but I'm hoping to be as good as the lovely and knowledgeable people on this site! :hug:

I to had the same problem but only with the 1 hand so ive now put silk wraps on them to see if it will help.

Latest posts

Back