Nails "fell off", all 10 of them!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It annoys me soo much when nail biters say 'they fell off'... My step daughter is forever putting her hands in her mouth, hence wekening the nails, hence causing lifting, then bites them off. I have now told her I am not going to do them as she does not respect them,,, what do people expect when they use them to pick there nose, nails, hands etc.. open cans etc,, and then blame the technician when they brake????

Kate xx

Nail biters will become pickers almost 98% of the time. Stand up for yourself and don't let them bully you. I look people like that in the eye and say: "really! your the only one that happens to, no one else's comes off, just yours". Then you point out the damage left behind from the picking.
*However - I do not care what anyone says, Oil is the kiss of death to acrylic nails. Anyone who applies it after fills or buffs it in will have lifting. I tell my clients not to even use it at home, home use will cause it too. When I get a new client from another Technician and they are lifting I always ask if the Tech appied oil. The answer is 9 times out of 10 Yes.
*People who are diabetic and on insulin will loose thier nails. It is a constant battle to keep them on. A lot of people who are having health problems will loose them too. It is not your fault and you need to inquire about health and Meds and let them know that is probably the problem.
*People who apply cream before an appointment will loose them as well. I can smell the lotion. I have argued with many over this. When they finally stop, the lifting stops. They are always so surprised.
*Cleanser's and bleach (basically cleaning products) will pop them off too. Especially if it is a new set. It disolves the glue.
I do not like to use glue to apply a new nail. I rarely ever have to replace a nail. I can not tell you when I put on a new set. I do fills only.
To put on a nail that will not come off use acrylic. I like to sculpture but not everyone is good at that.
*This is what you do: Prep the nail, size the tip. Place a good size of acrylic on the nail and press the tip into the acrylic. You want to put it in the same spot you would glue. Think of it as your glue. Don't use it to wet. Don't worry about the acrylic mushing out the sides a little, that is good it means you have good coverage. Hold until it sticks. File or drill off the excess. If you have a drill and there is a little underneath the nail get it out. Acrylic is sooooo much stronger than glue. You better make sure you let them know that if they pick those off they won't have a nail left.
If a client won't stop picking I tell them it is unethical for me to continue to do their nails because it will cause their natural nail to eventually lift and many never reattach. You can tell them it is a liability and your insurance won't cover you doing someones nails when you knowingly are aware of damage. Then you fire them. This is 21 year's of experiance speaking.

I'm sorry Della, but I striongly disagree with the oil causes nails to fall off.
I and many many nailtechs (loads with sthe same years or more of eperience as you) uses solar oil or likewise every day on acrylic nails and get even better results with than without.

If you cannot keep the clients nails on when they use lotion before, that sounds to me as you dont prep well enough. If properly prepped no oil or residue af lotion would be left on the nail.

And for the "glue" thing, well I use gelbond by CND and never encounter problems of anykind like the ones you are describing, and besides even if the "glue" or adhesive was weakened a bit, the l&p or gel would on the rest of the nail would be more than enough to keep them from popping of.

I'm not meaning to ditch you or anyhing, just feel the need to debate your statements, as you question years and years of research and practice of thousands of nailtehs around the world.:hug:

I agree with Karen (NoLimitNails) ALL my clients use oil and they don't have lifting problems....I don't care what they put on their hands/nails before coming to me...my prep will remove all trace and be ready for complete adhesion of my products.

I'm sorry Della, but I striongly disagree with the oil causes nails to fall off.
I and many many nailtechs (loads with sthe same years or more of eperience as you) uses solar oil or likewise every day on acrylic nails and get even better results with than without.
I support that.

Nail biters will become pickers almost 98% of the time. Stand up for yourself and don't let them bully you. I look people like that in the eye and say: "really! your the only one that happens to, no one else's comes off, just yours". Then you point out the damage left behind from the picking.
*However - I do not care what anyone says, Oil is the kiss of death to acrylic nails. First time I have EVER heard that one!
Anyone who applies it after fills or buffs it in will have lifting. I strongly disagree with that. ALL my clients nails are in better condition for using Solar Oil. I can always tell the ones who havent used it.
I tell my clients not to even use it at home, home use will cause it too. When I get a new client from another Technician and they are lifting I always ask if the Tech appied oil. The answer is 9 times out of 10 Yes. Maybe you could invest in a reputable Oil????
*People who are diabetic and on insulin will loose thier nails. It is a constant battle to keep them on. A lot of people who are having health problems will loose them too. It is not your fault and you need to inquire about health and Meds and let them know that is probably the problem. I always know this info to begin with - its all recorded on Client Record Cards.
*People who apply cream before an appointment will loose them as well. I can smell the lotion. I have argued with many over this. When they finally stop, the lifting stops. They are always so surprised. It doesnt make any difference to me what lotions and potions my client may have on when they come in - my thorough prep gets rid.
*Cleanser's and bleach (basically cleaning products) will pop them off too. Especially if it is a new set. It disolves the glue. It may be me being stupid here, but I am confused about this "Glue". Do you mean the adhesive you would use to apply a tip to the natural nail?
I do not like to use glue to apply a new nail. Again, confused. :lol:
I rarely ever have to replace a nail. I can not tell you when I put on a new set. I do fills only.
To put on a nail that will not come off use acrylic.
I like to sculpture but not everyone is good at that. So you wouldnt be using "Glue" if you sculpt?
*This is what you do: Prep the nail, size the tip. Place a good size of acrylic on the nail and press the tip into the acrylic. So you dont use "Glue" to apply your tip?
You want to put it in the same spot you would glue. Think of it as your glue. Ah, I am thinking different systems and all that. Some might use "Glue". :lol:
Don't use it to wet. Don't worry about the acrylic mushing out the sides a little, that is good it means you have good coverage. Hold until it sticks. File or drill off the excess. If you have a drill and there is a little underneath the nail get it out. Acrylic is sooooo much stronger than glue. Confusion, again! :irked:
You better make sure you let them know that if they pick those off they won't have a nail left.
If a client won't stop picking I tell them it is unethical for me to continue to do their nails because it will cause their natural nail to eventually lift and many never reattach. You can tell them it is a liability and your insurance won't cover you doing someones nails when you knowingly are aware of damage. Then you fire them. This is 21 year's of experiance speaking.

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread, I didnt reply recently as it was quite an old thread - how times have changed!!! And how much better I have gotten :lol::lol:
About a week after this happened, I was going into the shop and saw this lady! So I went to say hi, and she was EXTREMELY sheepish with me and was trying to get away. So I said "Oh lets have a look at your nails then" and I took one of her hands and there it was, the damage!!!!
Thanks everyone xx

I stand my ground. I prep as always and never have any lifting. The only time anyone looses a nail is if they ram it or do something stupid. I have always said acrylic is stronger than glue that is why I prefer to sculpt. Last year at the Orlando show I attended a class where the instructor put on a nail with acrylic instead of glue, it works! I have solar oil and I only use it for manicures, I do not agree with using it on acrylic. My nails never lift and I have clients that tell me no one has ever made their nails stay on but me. The proof is in the pudding. I will keep doing what works.

Where is your factual evidence to support your theory that usiing oil,i assume cuticle and nail oil,can cuase L&P to come off??:confused:

I don't doubt that acrylic is stronger than adhesive....and i know it can be used to adhere tips to the nail....although its an old fashioned method by what i have read on here...times have moved on and nail adhesive can be 'designed' to break at certain pressure so that the nail enhancement breaks but not the natural nail.

and i stand by my training and the advise off some of the very best...you will notice that most if not all members on this site recommend and use oil......read this http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/52519-ssw-solar-oil.html this bit explains better than i can....By our very own izzidoll

As we know the set time for L&P is 3 minutes but the full cure can take 24-48 hours. At full cure the enhancements are at their optimum strength. Therefore we prefer 24 hours to 48 lol!!
60% of this cure takes place in the 1st hour....so we can kick off the plasticising process by buffing in Solar Oil during the finishing of the enhancements. Then it is over to the client!!!

The client should apply Solar Oil at least twice during the first 24 hours, this will ensure the enhancements reach full strength in a shorter period of time. The rate of polymerisation can actually be increased by 25%!!!

Regarding plasticising....Oxygen can inhibit the cure of L&P. Therefore we want to block out the oxygen..and solar Oil does this. The molecular structure is as we know a tangle of vines and crosslinking, but there are still tiny spaces in it...solar Oil plugs them up!

when I describe it I say imagine a pyramid of oranges in the supermarket as the enhancement structure...and when you apply Solar Oil it is like plugging all the spaces with grapes. IYKWIM

The natural oils in Solar Oil also helps to cushion and lubricate the polymer chains...acting like an internal shock absorber...each application drives the oils into the enhancement, improving their benefits.

So you see its all in the science...and facts.

Last edited:
When I have been out for surgery or vacation and a client goes to another Tech they always lift. One of these Tehcs has been doing nails longer than me. The difference is she uses oil and I do not. All of these clients lift up to where I left off or loose the nail. I use OPI acrylic and glue. I am not saying their glue is not good. The clients are not good and they use their nails a 10 tiny tools and clean with them as well. For the clients I do it works for me to stay away from glue and oil. I have one client with somewhat hard to keep on nails. She travels a lot and does not always get fills when she should. When that happens she will loose one or two. I usually just sculpt another one on. If she gets her fill regularly she will have all 10 and no lifting. She came to me from someone else and had broken her nails so much I thought they would never stay on but stay on they did. I am not going to change what works for me.

I agree with doing what works for you i just don't agree in saying "using oil causes lifting"...its not a true and factual statement.

maybe the reason the other infill's not done by you have lifted because the other tech didn't preform a thorough prep....?

what is your prep...?

I agree with Karen (NoLimitNails) ALL my clients use oil and they don't have lifting problems....I don't care what they put on their hands/nails before coming to me...my prep will remove all trace and be ready for complete adhesion of my products.
I agree, and oil is essential in my enhancement procedure. The claim that oil causes lifting is rediculous.

Always push cuticles back. File, remove dust, clean with OPI nail antiseptic 99, bond aide and bond x 2. I use OPI competition 3000 acrylic. I really do not like to do other Techs clients. They will tell me on the phone, oh they look really good. When they get in my salon I see that they are not. I have to file more, replace nails and remove lifting. They think that is normal. The most extra work I do with my regulars is shorten them if they want.

I think finding a prep routine that suits you and your chosen system is very important...more importantly is safe prepping...i always remove the cuticle (non living skin) from the nail plate...(i think what you might be referring to is the eponychium) and remove the shine from the nail with a 240 grit. Anything stronger will scratch and over time thin the nail plate...although i have heard that back in the days this was done as it helped with adhesion...infact some NSS (non standard salons) still do this because it helps their nasty MMA to stay put.

here is another link that you might find interesting... :)

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/3007-perfect-preparation.html

Interesting reading, I too push the cuticles back with an OPI metal pusher. I prep well, that is why I do not have any lifting. My process works.

Interesting reading, I too push the cuticles back with an OPI metal pusher. I prep well, that is why I do not have any lifting. My process works.

agreed...so its nothing to do with the oil then...:lol: i am only playing...:hug:

Latest posts

Back