Nails "fell off", all 10 of them!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bellabeautie

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Ive got these two ladies that come in for acrylics. The first one comes in every 2 weeks for infills. The second one...(her sister in law) came in for a full set 2 weeks ago. She was a nail biter, so I put tips on and kept them very short. She was so pleased with her nails and promised to look after them, and how she loved them so much she wouldnt have to bite them anymore etc etc... She rang me one week later exactly to say they really needed infilling (I was a bit disappointed because I thought I had done a crap job in the first place because she needed them infilling in one week) But then I thought that maybe they grew so fast because she was a nail biter and I remember at college they told us that nail biters nails grow faster under extensions. Anyway, she came in that day and I done the infills. The following week, her sister in law came in for her infills and said that the other ones nails had all come off, all 10 of them just "fell off" the DAY AFTER I had infilled them! I feel crap now, I havent heard from her to say she wants anything done. I dont know if it was me doing crappy nails or her picking/biting them off. I was just wondering, if you found yourself in the situation, what would you do? Sorry to ramble on :rolleyes: xx

ive never trained or applied acrylics but i used to get them done all the time when i was younger and there was no way any of them were falling off!
if i cracked one (normally by hitting it in my car or something similar!) i would then sometimes pick them off!! and i had to really hack at them to get them off!!
hope that helps

Yes, that is what I think. Ive done loads of other applications and not seemed to of had a problem. The sister in law that comes in, she didnt loose any of hers at all. I done her sister too, and hers were on for 3 weeks. I just dont really know what to say to her if she rings me for another set or questions why they fell off!

Don't be worrying:hug:... If the other client is getting her nails done and infilled with no problems, then you are obviously doing a good job. Nail biters are prone to pick and bite at their enhancements and then feel guilty, so claim they "fell off"!!.. If she was unhappy or thought you had done a bad job, she would have come back to complain or to get a new set.

Even with the worst prep in the world I can't see all ten falling off now can you??... but if you still feel bad, maybe give her a quick ring and see what she says. I bet if you looked at her natural nails they wouldn't be smooth, they more than likely have chunks taken out of them from where she pulled and picked at them.

"Serial Pickers" are the ones that make us craziest :lol:

A) If there is damage on the nail plate, the nails did NOT fall off.
Because if there is damage, that means the nails were STUCK and forced off.
B) If there is no damage, then they fell off.

I'll bet there's damage.... and you'll be able to tell.
That means she whacked them or ate them or picked them.......

When the odd one tries to tell me they fell off, I have a convo something like this:

"So, if they fell off, then they couldn't have been stuck very well, right? And if they weren't stuck to begin with, then when they fell, they wouldn't pull at the nail plate, right? Sort of like 2 pieces of paper. If there's no glue, neither sticks to the other and they don't tear when you lift one from the other. BUT if there's glue and you let it dry, then try to lift the paper from the other, there's tearing................."

(I get understanding nods of agreement at this point)

"Ok, so if they WERE stuck, and somehow by accident, came off, then there would be 'tearing' like with the paper, right? Let's have a look under the UV Lamp..... see the white marks.... that's damage from tearing or being forced off.........."

Then out comes the confession..................

:lol:

hth's

"Serial Pickers" are

"Ok, so if they WERE stuck, and somehow by accident, came off, then there would be 'tearing' like with the paper, right? Let's have a look under the UV Lamp..... see the white marks.... that's damage from tearing or being forced off.........."

Then out comes the confession..................

Ha ha BRILLIANT!!!... Think we've all had this conversation with a client at one time or another. Don't let it get to you and be confident in the work you do x x]

PS: IF you don't have a uv lamp, use a nail cleanser/dehydrator to see the marks.... apply liberally and watch dry.
VOILA ..... marks will appear.

:hug:

VHunter, I like your reply!! Thats made me feel loads better, thank you! Like what was said, I suppose she would of come back in to demand a full set or explanation, and as she hasnt, I guess she is the guilty party!
Thank you xx

I'm glad that you feel better!
And yes... most likely, she is the guilty party.
It's hard when you first start out... you take a beating questioning yourself and wondering "my fault or theirs?" all the time...
But once you learn the 'signs' of "their fault"....... you'll feel that much better about YOUR work.

:hug:

ps: we're not infallible... yup. sometimes "oops, touched the skin there" or whatever...... but I have found that in MOST cases........ their fault :green:

You could easily beat yourself up over this but as everyone has said, they dont just fall off. I have had this many a time and 9 times out of 10, the evidence is right infont of you, tears on the nail, white lines and even bruised fingers sometimes! lol!

x

:)some people will always pick and bite them off! i have a few they know who they are lol :)
dont worry its not your fault its just how some people are! and if she hasnt complained she cant think u did anything wrong....!
give it a while bet she comes back for another set ...they always do!

Hi i had pretty much the same thing happen to me when i was still training i done a friends nails and her friend also wanted them done as they was going to a wedding the next day, so i went to do there nails and it felt like it took forever (as i was still learning) they was both really pleased and loved them (these were both nail biters to) the next day i get a phone call from my "friend"s FRIEND ranting and raving saying both of there sets had fell off and she was being so nasty on the phone (i couldnt believe someone could be so nasty) but it wasnt my friend that actually rang me but her friend so i said i will come and have a look at the nails but never got back to me! this really really upset me (as i had my last day of nail trainning the next day) so by this i thought i was rubbish ect and wasnt goin the next day to finish my course. my family finally talked me round to going to finish my course so i did still feeling really rubbish so i spoke to my trainer and she said "NO WAY" would 10 nails JUST fall off let alone 20 and she also told me she gets people that do this to her just so they can have nice nails if they going to a wedding or something then pull them off and try to get there money back and she told me if this does happen dont give in to them you are trying to make a living and if you do this you will forever be doing this:eek:

Yes, I've got a client who does this as well. Calls me atleast once every second week saying one or two have 'fallen off' and I was sooo upset everytime until reading a post on here and then examining her nails and noticed that everytime there was damage to the nail that had 'fallen' off. You can see where the nail was torn off. I think the reason why your client hasn't come back is that she knows you will see that they were picked off so she is probably a little embarassed. :o

What kind of glue are you using... I am having the same problem... I am new at this... It has been 2 months now... But I am having this problem with about 1/2 of my clients... I have been doing nails for free at my church... But I think that the glue is my problem... AND ya... My daughter is also a nail biter and well I gave up on her... I see her playing with her nails all the time cuz she is not knowing but she is trying to get back at them to bite them...

I also had a lady say all 10 had fallen offne bath........... as I was new at the time but spotted the damage straight away redid them anyway and the week later she came into get her hair done at the hair salon I was renting a room and surprise surprise no nails again! these people really annoy me grrrrrrrr! lol also nail bitters tend to still put their fingers in their mouths not good lol xx

What kind of glue are you using... I am having the same problem... I am new at this... It has been 2 months now... But I am having this problem with about 1/2 of my clients... I have been doing nails for free at my church... But I think that the glue is my problem... AND ya... My daughter is also a nail biter and well I gave up on her... I see her playing with her nails all the time cuz she is not knowing but she is trying to get back at them to bite them...

Are you asking what type of adhesive we use for the tips? We use liquid and powder or gel or fibreglass to create nails.
You are probably best to check with your trainer/school with which adhesive would be best for the system you are using.

she also told me she gets people that do this to her just so they can have nice nails if they going to a wedding or something then pull them off and try to get there money back

Wonder, where those people get their ideas...

I heard (but haven't seen it happen) that nails can fall off after some strain and stress.
I know for sure that in situation of stress you can suddenly, for know reason at all, get a lot of lifting. Happended to me - I was actually very surprised how nails that I've had on for 2,5 weeks suddenly 'showed' a lot of lifting. Then I realized it was due too certain stressful factors.

Are you asking what type of adhesive we use for the tips? We use liquid and powder or gel or fibreglass to create nails.
You are probably best to check with your trainer/school with which adhesive would be best for the system you are using.

I have the liq and the Molm. But to attach the acrylic nail to the real nail...

I have the liq and the Molm. But to attach the acrylic nail to the real nail...

the liquid is the monomer. We dont attach the acrylic to the natural nail with adhesive, we create the enhancement on the natural nail. I am assuming from the type of questions that you havent had any training?

I'm only starting out myself and know how frustrating it can be to find out nails are coming off.

Am so delighted with the helpful constructive info that this site gives. Have to go up to my sister's hse tmw - who's all 10 nails have fallen off within 2 weeks? looking forward to using the ~UV lamp and saying ha! ha! she's a nail bitter and I just know that they couldn't have all come off.

Did my other sister and she has her's on for 3 weeks and just done infills and 1 did come off but was with force clipping a baby seat in.

So will be checking out the evidence tmw!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back