Nails sensitive after Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily S

Cheap ain't nice and nice ain't cheap <3
Reaction score
My Sister mention that her nails 'hurt' after having Shellac done last week, she didn't say a painful hurt but just that she was aware of it. I didn't think much of it as she wasn't complaining, just simply mentioned it but, the same has now happened to me when I woke up an hour ago.

I think it does actually happen every time but never really thought anything of it - are other people conscious of having had it done or is there something wrong?

I don't want to ask clients and worry them unnecessarily - the feeling has gone now I'm up and about but it does seem odd..

i have had the same, especially once they are removed. Say if i left them off for a day my nails are real sensitive especially to heat almost feel a little bruised? If i am using the hairdryer and my nails get under it they hurt!
Would love to know wat others think x

I've never had this problem, and non of my clients have ever mentioned anything to me either?

Could it be a result of using too much pressure when doing PEP or removal maybe?

:hug:

I removed my Shellac yesterday and my nail beds felt bruised. I have no idea why. I have been wearing it on and off since it was launched and this is the first time I have felt pain. Recently I have been having them off and straight on again whereas in the past I have had more breaks between treatments. Don't know what to do! But will be watching this thread with interest.

this is not good, lots of negativity about shellac lately??
i have not ordered yet, just opened my account, not feeling like i want to order now though:(

I've had no problem at all and neither have my clients - I've worn it continuously for 6 months.

i have not ordered yet, just opened my account, not feeling like i want to order now though:(

I, like the majority of others, have not encountered one single problem with it. No complaints from me or any clients.

My hands are sensitive to the heat and cold when I first take off a pair of gloves!!

I have worn Shellac for almost 2 years now and have never felt what the OP has described and Like others have never had a client make a comment on this subject.

Maybe some just have more sensitive nails than others. Maybe some use Shellac on damaged nails in the first place (by damaged I mean pre-enhanced nails that are more porous from having been previously buffed) and those nails are more sensitive. I use Shellac only on ladies with natural nails and 90% have never worn enhancements before so nails are healthy and virgin.

There is nothing about Shellac that would cause pain. Hypoallergenic, and 3 free and no nail buffing at all ...

I have had clients in the past say that they felt, not pain, but a sensitivity wearing ordinary nail polish!! I just thought they were being a bit precious at the time but I guess some are more sensitive than others.

I don't call call the OP's post (or any other post) "NEGitivity re Shellac" .. just an interested question. If I had experienced the same thing I would have asked the same question. This is the place to ask the questions. I have never experienced any sensation at all with Shellac and never heard of anyone else doing so before now.

This is really odd, I have never had any problems nor have my client's! Does it feel like the pain when you wear gels or is it different? And does it only hurt when they come off, when their on or when their being done? Very confused:irked:

I really love Shellac and I can totally understand why (on other threads) techs say it has totally transformed their businesses.

I think maybe, as geeg was getting at, it's 'some clients', for whatever reason, experience sensitivity, i.e. the minority not the majority.

I don't call call the OP's post (or any other post) "NEGitivity re Shellac" .. just an interested question. If I had experienced the same thing I would have asked the same question. This is the place to ask the questions. I have never experienced any sensation at all with Shellac and never heard of anyone else doing so before now.
Definitely not negativity towards Shellac - I love it!!!

It could have been a number of things, I'd removed my previous set as well so could well have been that (I'd used acetone, I know, naughty of me!) - I was simply curious as I'd not really noticed it until my Sister mentioned it and wondered if it was just something, anything being on the nails.

This is really odd, I have never had any problems nor have my client's! Does it feel like the pain when you wear gels or is it different? And does it only hurt when they come off, when their on or when their being done? Very confused:irked:
I don't wear gels, it's kind of a tightness, they feel fine now but I was definitely aware of them when I woke this morning.

I was an enhancement wearer up until about 6 months ago and I'm fully converted to Shellac with lovely natural nails, it's fab... I do miss the 'fake' look of enhancements but I'm being good and sticking with what I know which is that Shellac is supporting my nails, not weakening them.

Thanks for the replies, I'm obviously just a sensitive ol' soul :)

Could it be from the dehydration making the natural nail less flexible maybe slightly tight / tort if that's the word I'm thinking lol after removal ?

What are you using to remove?
What product are you removing with?

What method ?

And what are you doing after ?

X

I used cotton wool, foil & acetone last night - I know this isn't the correct method and I do use the wraps on clients.

I then use orange wood stick to 'scrape' off, and last night I did a dry PEP, usually use Cuticle Away & then D-Sperse.

I have 3 layers of colour as I did Tropix, Moonlight & Roses and Zillionaire - I think the answer is most probably dehydration :o

I used cotton wool, foil & acetone last night - I know this isn't the correct method and I do use the wraps on clients.

I then use orange wood stick to 'scrape' off, and last night I did a dry PEP, usually use Cuticle Away & then D-Sperse.

I have 3 layers of colour as I did Tropix, Moonlight & Roses and Zillionaire - I think the answer is most probably dehydration :o

Im a bit tired right now so reading wrong ,

Did you put shellac straight back on or remove and leave off?

When removing and leaving off I use solar oil and a koala buffer and re hydrate the nails this pushes the oil into the nails ,
Then you can still cleanse and polish ,

If re applying I dont do this but maybe it's the acetone? I think d-solve is tailored more for a genal shellac removal .

I took off on Tuesday night, Solar Oiled and re-applied last night (Wednesday) and then applied the Solar Oil again afterwards & again this morning.

I too have felt the "tight" feeling described above....it's like a pressure I can't really describe, not painful but I was aware of it. I think it was down to dehydration as I got all my new colours and kept experimenting, removing and reapplying all within the space of a few days as I couldn't wait to try the next colour, totally my own fault lol!!

could it be that your natural nails are longer now you wear shellac. I have very strong nails that grow well without shellac but do break at a certain point. Wearing shellac they grow longer without breaking however the last couple of days my thumb nails have felt a little bruised and i know its cos they have grown longer than really my nails can take. I would file them down a bit but I'm due to re shellac tomorrow so will leave them until then. So for me its not shellac its my own nails. I'm also incredibly heavy handed with my nails so probably a little trauma to the nail plate. Still i.ve had masquerade on for two weeks tomorrow and apart from a tiny acetone damage on the corner of my thumb nail they are still fabulous.

just a thought could be way off :)

My hands are sensitive to the heat and cold when I first take off a pair of gloves!!

I have worn Shellac for almost 2 years now and have never felt what the OP has described and Like others have never had a client make a comment on this subject.

Maybe some just have more sensitive nails than others. Maybe some use Shellac on damaged nails in the first place (by damaged I mean pre-enhanced nails that are more porous from having been previously buffed) and those nails are more sensitive. I use Shellac only on ladies with natural nails and 90% have never worn enhancements before so nails are healthy and virgin.

There is nothing about Shellac that would cause pain. Hypoallergenic, and 3 free and no nail buffing at all ...

I have had clients in the past say that they felt, not pain, but a sensitivity wearing ordinary nail polish!! I just thought they were being a bit precious at the time but I guess some are more sensitive than others.

Actually you just reminded me something. If i wear nail polish non stop for 1-2 weeks my nail beds become very sensitive and painful! So i only wear polish occationally :-O

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

My nails have never felt sore due to shellac. The only time my nails feel sore is when they get too long, which is often when wearing shellac. I'm at the 2.5 week mark just now and they are feeling long.

I don't think it's from the length of them as it's only once they've been re-shellac'ed, for that night and the morning after. If that was the case it'd be the days leading upto it and eased off once they've been taken down in length.

Latest posts

Back