Nails | Will There Always Be A Place For Polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
I have yet to meet a nail professional that believes there will come a time when nail polish succumbs to beauty's version of evolution and dies out in a 'survival of the fittest' kind of way. However, I thought I would put it out there: as the gel and power polishes trample over the competition and achieve more and more popularity, can you imagine a time when there's (wait for it) no place for polish?!

With all these whizz-bang, instant dry, two-week-no-chip, manicures causing the biggest sensation in the nail industry since, well, forever, are the days of polish numbered? No longer do clients feel the pain when the manicure they've paid for has chipped in two days, or worse, before they've even left the salon. Gone are the days of sheet marks or of being rendered helpless as you wait for your polish to dry. Why would we go back to those days?

Well, I suppose some might. If I wanted to change my nail polish every other day, gel manicures would be a royal pain in the you know what to take on and off so regularly. Plus there is a long way to go before gels even start to challenge polishes on their colour range and let's not forget, polish is something that you can do at home, on your own, in your jammies, at a fraction of the cost.

Admittedly, there are at-home, DIY gel kits and and the colour range is growing and no doubt at some point in the future, as technology races on, we'll be able to take off gel manicures as easily as polish...but, until then...is there still a place for polish?

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• iStock_000016295580XSmall.jpg
    iStock_000016295580XSmall.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 386
Interesting!

Why would anyone want to wait for polish to dry and worry about chips? - I know I could never go back to that, but there will always be a place for regular polish.

The older generation like my Grandmother (I'm talking 80s) tend to prefer polish. Also there's nurses and doctors that can't wear it, as well as those in the catering industry.

Also clients that need an operation etc would need to go for a normal polish, so it can be removed ASAP if needed.

So, I'll keep dusting my polish bottles for the time being, but won't be placing the massive orders I used to. :)

i think ill always love polish.... and even tho gel polishes are taking over for some in salons... polish can be changed instantly and is cheap to retail and of course available on the high street for most pockets... plus it can go hand in hand (excuse the pun!) with many nail treatments in salon.... for home use and those not wanting to commit to a 2/3 week of colour...
if polishes were dying out then the consumer would stop buying them.... maybe they aren't top on a salon wish list but will always have a place in my 'Polished' heart :Love:

you only have to look on places like google an pinterest (another new addition of mine!) to see how much polish art there is...

now with all the false and semi permanent lashes out there... people still buy mascara .....

Jess x

Jessica Marks
EzFlow Master Artist Educator
Be Creative Educator
Original Sugar Lead Nail Stylist

Last edited by a moderator:
There will always be a place for polish! What about our clients that work with food or in the nursing professions ... Some can't where colour at mo ??? Or feel comfortable wearing anything on their nails? Long live nail polish .... Love gel though!! :)

I used to sell around 20 bottles of polish a month in my small salon before we had gel polish.

I've been offering gel polish for nearly two years and I don't think I've sold 10 bottles of ordinary polish in the last year. I've actually stopped buying it.

I know some companies are offering a polish the same colour as their gels to sell along side. I've never understood how I can sell the concept of a two week manicure if I have to retail the client a polish for touch ups - if you know what I mean.

I think there will come a time when nail polish is a thing of the past. If I have seen such a huge downfall in sales then surely supermarkets, department stores and chemists have too, in which case, its only a matter of time before they stop stocking it.

If you look around these days, you hardly ever see horrible chipped nail polish any more - everyone is wearing a uv colour coat.

The way I introduced gel polish to my clients put them off regular nail polish for life lol, I like to test new products before offering them on my treatment menu, I wore one hand with nail polish the other hand in gel polish for them to see the difference for themselves and the overall response was id rather have the gel polish with my manicure.. My medical professions wear clear pink gel polish with a matte look and just recently a few male friends have asked for the same as they want to protect their nails, gel polish rocks!!! My daughter thinks I'm amazing as she has gained my nail polish collection, just need to stop her biting her own nails lol ��

I do agree and understand where your coming from but i think there will still be a small percent of clients who like to change there colour a lot to match their mood/outfit etc. will still stick to polish as its easier and cheaper to take off and change the colour.

I prefer Shellac myself though :Love:

I love to change my nail colour too much. I can't see it going away anytime soon, especially for the at home consumer. In the salon? Perhaps.

If I get a new client who is unwilling to commit to returning to me for proper professional removal or maintenance there is no way I'm applying a professional product coating!

Polish is still the only realistic option for clients who need something that is quick and easy to remove at home themselves without causing damage.

Whilst it's available I'll always offer polish. Some clients like to change their colour as often as they go out so wouldn't want gel/power polish. Also, I often paint nails at my local hospice where gel/power polish wouldn't be suitable.

My personal choice is shellac but good old polish is still being offered.

I have 5 or so clients that like to have their ENHANCEMENTS polished - not many clients have a polish manicure any more.

Whilst some of my ladies prefer to Shellac their enhancements, polish does last just as well on them. I retail mini Lumos bottles so they can keep their polished nails ultra shiny by topping up every couple of days.

I love my CND Colour & Effects range... what's a nail salon without nail polish?

It's good for toes when people can't afford a Shellac mani AND pedi, plus the colour possibilities are endless and clients like the ease of it (and familiarity).

xxx

There are clients out there that don't like or want Shellac or any gel polishes. There are some clients that Shellac just doesn't suit. As already mentioned there are others who work in professions that don't allow anything on nails. Others need a quick fix...could be over a gel polish/enhancement for a different look for one night!!

And finally, what about the clients of the future...the little people who want to be like their mummy's. The little princess parties and nail art parties...polish does have its place and always will xx

Latest posts

Back