nans big hair disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liana kay

Reaction score
My nan always insists on perming her own hair -and i colour it - however this time shes permed it so its a straight frizz -theres too much curl(wiggle wiggle) ,but absolutly no elasticity and stren gth - anyway she thinks its the colour ( i am a hairdresser ) but she wants something done to make it better before she goes to barbados (i know) ive recomended doing a semi ,to blend light ends add shine so it looks better ,but do you think a straightener would help to take out the frizz at the front or am i as mad as she is? weve tried treatments ,but shes desperate shes done this before she never learns the suns gonna destroy it even more

My nan always insists on perming her own hair -and i colour it - however this time shes permed it so its a straight frizz -theres too much curl(wiggle wiggle) ,but absolutly no elasticity and stren gth - anyway she thinks its the colour ( i am a hairdresser ) but she wants something done to make it better before she goes to barbados (i know) ive recomended doing a semi ,to blend light ends add shine so it looks better ,but do you think a straightener would help to take out the frizz at the front or am i as mad as she is? weve tried treatments ,but shes desperate shes done this before she never learns the suns gonna destroy it even more

Hiya you could do test pieces in some perm lotion for coloured hair and see how this went first ?
but if you think it makes the condition worse in any way then I suggest don't do it at all
then wait till it has grown out and cut out before you do another perm

on the other hand if you think the condition is ok
you could water wind it on a bigger curler then put the solution on afterwards
then follow manufactures instructions .

:hug: x good luck with whatever you decide ,

Ps, if you think there is any risk at all ,
don't go against your own professional judgment xx :hug:

Her Hairs Had It Basically - Thing Is She Thinks Its The Colour When She Leaves Normal Lotion On For 35 Mins . Ive Done The Perm For Her Before , But She Does Thing Like Go To The Toilet For 10 Mins Just As I Want To Start Rinsing , Because She Thinks It Will Make It Tighter !

hi chaps...i agree with minky about a larger roller if the hairs in good shape,in the past ive wound hair with conditioner on it then put the perm solution on, it works a treat on damaged hair.,but, perhaps if her hairs a clip for her hols she,ll learn a valuable lesson, my mum used to cut her own hair and then want me to perm it , she turned up with a fringe only an inch long one day and expected me to perm it to bend it backwards , i stuck to my guns said no and made her wait a month till it grew, she was too embaressed to go elsewhere so had to wait, she looked a clip , i permed it eventually ,funnily enough she has never cut her own hair since.

Her Hairs Had It Basically - Thing Is She Thinks Its The Colour When She Leaves Normal Lotion On For 35 Mins . Ive Done The Perm For Her Before , But She Does Thing Like Go To The Toilet For 10 Mins Just As I Want To Start Rinsing , Because She Thinks It Will Make It Tighter !
Try switching her solution to one that has a prewrap, any thing with protien and moisture. If you need to make your own pre wrap, there are several protein/moisture concentrates available. Even some of the detanglers will add enough protection in conjunction with a milder solution to prevent the frizz/kink look.

I don't know that I would re-perm without a test strand, I would deffo look into some deep treatments- Keratase and the like that she could do before/during and after holiday. Send her with a shampoo, conditioner & leave in conditioner with sunscreen in them.

Hi, looking at the above information you have given
I totally agree with Jeni Giles ,
I would not attempt to re perm it as it has already been far too over processed in the timing area,

just get her some good products to use on holiday as Jeni has mentioned

Older people can be little tinkers :lol: lol x
My little 87 year old Aunt moans like crazy that I havn't left the perm lotion on long enough too ,
(she actually loves it in tight little curls ) she says " it thickens up her hair for her "

Next time your Nan has a perm you could try using Acclaim for bouncy firmer curls
and use smaller rollers,
it is a beautiful long lasting conditioning perm (just follow the instructions in the box)
she will love it xx minky

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back