Nasal Hair - sorry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmad

Reaction score
Not a nice subject but I have 2 unfortunate friends (one is a client) who have a big problem with this. One is a 30 something and the other in her mid 40's. I havent mentioned it to them but I'd like to find out what they can do about it so that maybe I could slip it into conversation gently.
Any help gratefully received.

There is a 'thing' that you can put up your nose that will trim them - or they could use scissors. Try doing a search on google for 'nasal trimmers' or similar.

I don't think there is anything you can do to prevent it growing.. but you can definitely keep it at bay. I have seen people with awful nose hair and even hair growing excessively out of their ears.

I have heard of it being waxed but even the thought is making my eyes water!!:eek:

I was hoping to avoid suggesting she used a nasal hair trimmer - sounds really awful doesnt it!!

OMG waxing - god only knows how you'd do that! The client I mention I wax regularly, checking eyebrows, top lip legs, under arm, bikini line and every time I see her I cant help thinking what a shame it is that I can make the rest of her look lovely including her nails and feet but I cant help her with her nose! Shes 40 something and hasnt had a partner for years and years. Shes a really nice bubbly person and as a friend I love her dearly but this problem I feel is holding her back.

my hubby plucks his

emmad said:
I was hoping to avoid suggesting she used a nasal hair trimmer - sounds really awful doesnt it!!

OMG waxing - god only knows how you'd do that! The client I mention I wax regularly, checking eyebrows, top lip legs, under arm, bikini line and every time I see her I cant help thinking what a shame it is that I can make the rest of her look lovely including her nails and feet but I cant help her with her nose! Shes 40 something and hasnt had a partner for years and years. Shes a really nice bubbly person and as a friend I love her dearly but this problem I feel is holding her back.
i dont want to sound awful hun but, i presume she will be aware she has nasal hair and i dont think it would be right of you to point it out to her, you say she hasnt had a partner for years and she could look lovely if she made the effort...it does sound a bit patronising...i know you care and dont take it the wrong way but maybe she is quite happy the way she is....its like someone saying to me...loose a bit of weight cause i feel its holding you back.....it would really upset me, like my friends dont accept me for who i am......hope this rely doesnt offend but i think you would offend your friend if you tell her that her apperance is holding her back......we all know things we dont like about ourselves and i am sure she has insecurities like the rest of us...you could make them worse xxxx
jmho

Let her deal with it in her own way lovey that's what I'd do, otherwise she may be a bit embarassed if you mention it, also she may not think she has a problem with it!!.xx

Yeah I agree with the other posters... thinking about it.. if someone said to me I had excessive nasal hair I think I would be totally mortified and then ashamed and it would really knock my confidence... not to mention upset me - then I would think of all the people who have seen me and wondered if they had been laughing at me all this time!!!

I know you really want to help... but this is a serious thing to a woman, to be told there is something awful about her appearance.

If you really feel you MUST say something though.. why not say you have your own done regularly and are thinking of offering it as a new service as it has become popular lately? Perhaps the lady might consider it then?

*JOANNE* said:
i dont want to sound awful hun but, i presume she will be aware she has nasal hair and i dont think it would be right of you to point it out to her, you say she hasnt had a partner for years and she could look lovely if she made the effort...it does sound a bit patronising...i know you care and dont take it the wrong way but maybe she is quite happy the way she is....its like someone saying to me...loose a bit of weight cause i feel its holding you back.....it would really upset me, like my friends dont accept me for who i am......hope this rely doesnt offend but i think you would offend your friend if you tell her that her apperance is holding her back......we all know things we dont like about ourselves and i am sure she has insecurities like the rest of us...you could make them worse xxxx
jmho

OMG! I would never just point out something just like that, I'm much more sensitive to peoples feelings!

All I was going to do was casually say whilst waxing her somewhere in the facial area that I knew of a way of getting rid of them if she was interested in trying it out. I'd only say she had 1 or 2 that I could see.

Personally, I can NOT see myself mentioning to a CLIENT that they should trim their nasal hair and how to go about it.
I mean... I'm sure that they realize it's there and all that. If they're unconcerned, then dont wrack your brains about it.

Odds are, if you did say something, no matter how you put it, you're likely to offend them and risk losing a client.
The only person I think I could honestly suggest a nasal trimmer to, is my father in law. I also tell him to 'mow' his ears LOL

If someone said anything remotely like that to me, I'd probably flip out.

Also, if it is something that they haven't noticed, then you point it out, you may end up paranoying them and upsetting them a great deal. Embarassing them. Last thing you want to do is that.

Sometimes, our personal opinions really need to be left at home.

And I wonder why you think it's holding her back? that's the oddest thing I've ever heard to be honest.

It's hard because sometimes I have ladies who come into the salon for an eyebrow wax and you see the client has hair on their upper lip and chin.I have found myself,many times wanting to broach the subject of waxing these areas.Sometimes I have but it really depends on the client,some clients actually really appreciate hearing of ways to combat the unwanted hair.However,nasal hair is a bit of a tricky subject and I personally think I wouldn't say anything about it.The client will know she has it and I think would be embarrased.Nasal waxing is very select and extremely painful,it's not something you could offer your client so I think it's best left unmentioned along with the fact that they have nasal hair at all.With the lip/chin some clients dont even realise that it can be waxed.But again I have to say that I only mention it to them if I feel 100% comfy with them.HTH

You could either say nothing or do what Ted did to me. I was sat at home one night and he gave me a cuddle and said "Aww look at your little moustache, it's so cute, just like you are":irked:
He was fine once he got out of A&E.

I wouldn't mind but it's blonde and not that bad!

It's true also I've had times when I've had really hairy clients in who have only had their eyebrows done, but could do with their face, lip, chin etc etc done; I just bite my tongue and think I'm the beautician doing what they ask and think it's their perogative if they want to do or don't want to do something about their excessive hair.

I once knew a beautician who told a client she had to go to the doc's as she was SOOOOOO hairy and was like a man etc etc, and I have since vowed I would never be like her and raise a subject as a) I don't want to offend and b) it may lose me business and c) I think it is unprofessional to act like the lady I've just spoken about who told her client that she had excessive hair etc etc..

That's just my opnion and I understand where you are coming from here hun xx I feel like this so many times in my work as a beauty therapist. It's so frustrating

tinkywinky said:
It's true also I've had times when I've had really hairy clients in who have only had their eyebrows done, but could do with their face, lip, chin etc etc done; I just bite my tongue and think I'm the beautician doing what they ask and think it's their perogative if they want to do or don't want to do something about their excessive hair.

I once knew a beautician who told a client she had to go to the doc's as she was SOOOOOO hairy and was like a man etc etc, and I have since vowed I would never be like her and raise a subject as a) I don't want to offend and b) it may lose me business and c) I think it is unprofessional to act like the lady I've just spoken about who told her client that she had excessive hair etc etc..

That's just my opnion and I understand where you are coming from here hun xx I feel like this so many times in my work as a beauty therapist. It's so frustrating
Being a beauty therapist is about carrying out treatments and advising clients. I think it is extremely unprofessional to tell a client that she needed to see a doctor because she was hairy like a man.In all honesty there are very few therapists that would ever be as tactless as that.If a client comes into the salon with excessive hair then it is our job,when we do a consultation to take note of this and find out the clients medical history,etc so that we may be able to treat the client appropriately.If the hair is excessive then she may well have needed to be referred to a doctor as there could have been a real underlying medical problem there.This would need to be done tactfully though and we should not make diagnosis.As I said earlier I wouldn't mention nasal hair as everytime the client looks in the mirror they will be able to see it and it's a tricky one to bring up.I want to help and advise but I would never be tactless or try to embarrass anyone and I think mentioning nasal hair would be extremely embarrassing for the client and me.Even some I have had for several years.Bless them.

I wouldnt say anything, the lady would probably be sooo embarressed, wait for her to come to you!:D

VHunter said:
Personally, I can NOT see myself mentioning to a CLIENT that they should trim their nasal hair and how to go about it.
I mean... I'm sure that they realize it's there and all that. If they're unconcerned, then dont wrack your brains about it.

Odds are, if you did say something, no matter how you put it, you're likely to offend them and risk losing a client.
The only person I think I could honestly suggest a nasal trimmer to, is my father in law. I also tell him to 'mow' his ears LOL

If someone said anything remotely like that to me, I'd probably flip out.

Also, if it is something that they haven't noticed, then you point it out, you may end up paranoying them and upsetting them a great deal. Embarassing them. Last thing you want to do is that.

Sometimes, our personal opinions really need to be left at home.

And I wonder why you think it's holding her back? that's the oddest thing I've ever heard to be honest.

Shes not just a client, shes my friend & godmother to my eldest. I wont go into her personal details but I know she really wants and needs a partner and she bends my ear about it all the time. I'd never cross the line, suggest a nasal hair trimmer or deliberately upset her. We banter all the time, it would be better coming from me that anyone else - not odd at all.

BABSann said:
Being a beauty therapist is about carrying out treatments and advising clients. I think it is extremely unprofessional to tell a client that she needed to see a doctor because she was hairy like a man.In all honesty there are very few therapists that would ever be as tactless as that.If a client comes into the salon with excessive hair then it is our job,when we do a consultation to take note of this and find out the clients medical history,etc so that we may be able to treat the client appropriately.If the hair is excessive then she may well have needed to be referred to a doctor as there could have been a real underlying medical problem there.This would need to be done tactfully though and we should not make diagnosis.As I said earlier I wouldn't mention nasal hair as everytime the client looks in the mirror they will be able to see it and it's a tricky one to bring up.I want to help and advise but I would never be tactless or try to embarrass anyone and I think mentioning nasal hair would be extremely embarrassing for the client and me.Even some I have had for several years.Bless them.

Mine cant see it I'm sure. She cant pluck her own eybrows and finds it really hard to put her own eye make up on. She wears pretty hefty glasses.

emmad said:
Mine cant see it I'm sure. She cant pluck her own eybrows and finds it really hard to put her own eye make up on. She wears pretty hefty glasses.
I think given that she's a friend and Godmother to your eldest that you probably could bring the subject up with her.After all if the banters there in the first place it surely wont be that bad.Why dont you mention that you had heard of nasal waxing(not suggesting you expect her to have this) then when the ice has been broken maybe you could lead on from there and see what gets said.I think she will be grateful for you saying that she has this little problem,seeing as she cant see properly.Only you can judge what reaction you will get but hopefully it will work out for the best.Good luck chuck.xx

Thanks everyone for your input. There obviously isnt a quick fix I can offer her so I'll leave well alone.

I just want to say that I would NEVER EVER mention this AT ALL if I thought I would offend her. I just thought you guys might have the answer and like all good friends I just want to make it all better for her.

emmad said:
Thanks everyone for your input. There obviously isnt a quick fix I can offer her so I'll leave well alone.

I just want to say that I would NEVER EVER mention this AT ALL if I thought I would offend her. I just thought you guys might have the answer and like all good friends I just want to make it all better for her.
Short of drugging her,and trimming it while she sleeps there really is no easy answer.Sorry couldn't be more help.Couldn't you both have a couple of drinks together,then once a bit chilled,broach the dreaded nose hair subject?

Latest posts

Back