Need a kick up the backside and some ideas ladies....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailbear85

Reaction score
hey girls and guys, really dont wanna rant but need to get this off my chest, some of you will know that im still in training to do Acrylic nails and only been charging £10 (everyone who have done nails for know this too) anyway ive since raised my price to £13 so the price gap when i qualify isnt too big.....anyway theres an other girl in my area who claims to be qualified but is only charging £10 for gel and acrylic nails....i dont mind competition at all as it comes with the business but the thing that has made me soo god damn angry is how she has copied my advert! shes moved afew words around to try and make it her own and is included art and gems in this £10 price of hers, (i also included gems and art but for extra, something ive learned from some of my fellow geeklettes) i recently updated my advert and shes now updated hers and is seriously undercutting me! ive worked so hard to get my clients and to get my business going, im almost 100% sure shes poaching my clients (a few ladies have said she pesters them!) and ive had 8 cancellations this week.....i then see pics of this girls nails of this week and there are my clients who had booked in! it might sound silly what im moaning about but i dont get how someone who is qualified is charging £10 stealing clients and my adverts, ive tried so hard to not let it bother me, but it is, so much so that its made me cry because i feel like this girl has just come in and kicking everything down ive built i just dont know what else i can do to entice clients to me......if any of you more experienced techs can give me some advice id be more than greatful because i honestly feel like just giving it all up even tho nails is my passion and i love it to bits, i need a kick up the bum!xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi hun
I'm still learning after qualifying myself.
I had the same sort of problem and you do start to get angry.
But I have learnt this you have clients who will appreciate your work.
They are the clients who will stick by you with loyalty.

Sorry I cannot be more of a help to you.
please keep your chin up and not let her think she is getting to you.
You are better then that. xx

I think your problem here is not the other nail techician under cutting you, your problem is that you are marketing yourself to £10 clients..ie cheap clients, those who do not appershate quailty over price.

You need to start marketing yourself to those clients that want quailty serivces and are willing to pay for them, rather than clients that just want thier nails done for £10.

Before I trained, I would not have touch a nail techician charging £10 for a set with a 10ft barge poll, even a newly quailfied one.

I've only been a nail techician for a year but I never charged £10, even when training. May take me longer to get busy but I'm not willing to cheappen my services and so far all my clients have returned. I'd rather not work, than work for nothing (which is what you'll be getting if you aim for these type of clients)

Sam xxx

This will be the gentlest kick you are going to get as am not known for my kicks up the bum , but I shall try............

The bargain basement techs come and go. seriuosly £10????? how much profit is anyone going to make on a £10 set of nails????? flipping pennies thats all.

You need to have a word with yourself.... let the £10 clients go to her, concentrate on getting your training finished so you can charge REAL money.

so no more tears, head down, ignore her and the competition, perfect your skills and get on with it.

And, I can bet you in one year if she is still around she wont be charging £10, but I VERY much doubt she will still be about. £10 pffttt , Id rather stay in bed........

tigi
x

Loo

I think your problem here is not the other nail techician under cutting you, your problem is that you are marketing yourself to £10 clients..ie cheap clients, those who do not appershate quailty over price.

You need to start marketing yourself to those clients that want quailty serivces and are willing to pay for them, rather than clients that just want thier nails done for £10.

Before I trained, I would not have touch a nail techician charging £10 for a set with a 10ft barge poll, even a newly quailfied one.

I've only been a nail techician for a year but I never charged £10, even when training. May take me longer to get busy but I'm not willing to cheappen my services and so far all my clients have returned. I'd rather not work, than work for nothing (which is what you'll be getting if you aim for these type of clients)

Sam xxx

Couldn't have put that any better myself:)

Hi hub. When I first started I was charging £15 to cover costs and just getting a few hear and there and they always 1 or 2 little complaints. However since qualifying my prices are put up to £27 + and you do get a whole different type of person. Put your prices up /keep practicing and feel confident in what you do and the clients will soon come :) it may just take a little longer <3

I charge £25 and always have, did charge £20 for a whole for friends while I perfected my craft, but wouldn't have dreamt of charging any less, it's really hard to raise your prices high enough after you qualify. I find that when people see my prices they normally comment on how cheap I am! :) I do know someone who charges £10, and her nails look ok, She says she charges that because "her and her girls just like doing them." I like doing them, but I also like earning money! Don't let her bother you, I know it's hard not too,
But have faith in what you do and you'll get the clients you deserve as I price you're worth. Xx

I really feel for you

I'm only recently qualified and I charge £24 for a full set. When I was training I charged £15 and had loads of clients. Now i've increased my price I don't get so many, but they all come back to me. I think the industry is like any other and you get what you pay for. If your paying £10 for a set of nails then you've got to expect less than perfect service and possibly inferior products. I refuse to get into a pricing war and charge what I think I'm worth and the profit I expect.

It'll be slow but at least I'll have loyal clients. It'll work out for you I'm sure as this girl will soon get bored of not earning any money and either increase her prices or disappear. Either way she's not a threat to you or your problem.

Chin up x

Latest posts

Back