Need to close for a few weeks - need advice please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

applepie

Reaction score
I have got an unusual problem....

Our little dog has had emergency spinal surgery and will be needing a lot of care when she comes home as she may be still temporarily (we hope! :sad:) paralized. It's a bit vague at the moment as we don't know when she will be back and it's tricky trying to plan for the next few weeks.

I work from home and have got bookings in for the next few weeks that I think I can cope with but do not want to take on any more and I am struggling with how to word my answerphone message.

I know not everyone is a dog person and might not understand why I will need time off and I don't want to have to tell the traumatic tale over and over again to clients.

I don't want to go into details on the answerphone message as I don't expect everyone to appreciate why my dog needs me and I don't want to say anything mysterious such as 'family emergency' etc that will start my clients speculating on what's going on.

I thought maybe...

'Thank you for calling ..... I am taking a few weeks leave due to unforseen circumstances. However, please be assured any existing booked appointments will still be honoured. Please leave a message if you have any queries. Sorry for any inconvieniance.'

Does that sound ok? (or any better ideas?)

Thanks alot.

I have got an unusual problem....

Our little dog has had emergency spinal surgery and will be needing a lot of care when she comes home as she may be still temporarily (we hope! :sad:) paralized. It's a bit vague at the moment as we don't know when she will be back and it's tricky trying to plan for the next few weeks.

I work from home and have got bookings in for the next few weeks that I think I can cope with but do not want to take on any more and I am struggling with how to word my answerphone message.

I know not everyone is a dog person and might not understand why I will need time off and I don't want to have to tell the traumatic tale over and over again to clients.

I don't want to go into details on the answerphone message as I don't expect everyone to appreciate why my dog needs me and I don't want to say anything mysterious such as 'family emergency' etc that will start my clients speculating on what's going on.

I thought maybe...

'Thank you for calling ..... I am taking a few weeks leave due to unforseen circumstances. However, please be assured any existing booked appointments will still be honoured. Please leave a message if you have any queries. Sorry for any inconvieniance.'

Does that sound ok? (or any better ideas?)

Thanks alot.

Hey

I'm a dig person so I fully under stand. I think your message sounds fine. However be aware the you will lose clients for closing. I gain a lot of clients each year due to the usual theripist going on holiday ect.

How long are you expecting off? Could family not help.
X

Oh Bless Her ! I hope she makes a quick recovery :) I think the message sounds fine, could you also give them something to quote when your back up and running to get a discount on a service? Just thinking about when poochie is up and about on all fours, may help business ? X

If I'm taking 2 weeks off I don't give a reason I just say iv got nothing available for the next 2 weeks. Makes them book in advance so it works for me :)

I understand your reasons for taking time off, but if it was me I wouldnt say anything in the answer phone MSG. I think that for some clients, once they hear it they won't leave a MSG and may go elsewhere. If you know how long you're going to be taking off, why don't you spk to the client and get them to book in when youre back? Imo explaining to clients is a small price to pay for them to stay with you.

I hope you're dog makes a speedy recovery, I'd be a wreck if Dave had to have an op. Dave is my bulldog btw, not my husband! Ha.xx

If I'm taking 2 weeks off I don't give a reason I just say iv got nothing available for the next 2 weeks. Makes them book in advance so it works for me :)

This is what I do too. I put a message on my website to say I am unavailable to take phone calls between these dates and any messages will be answered ASAP. I can usually be reached by email and texts only cost a penny more overseas so I can still book clients. Plus I hate people knowing I'm away incase my house/car gets robbed haha x

^^ This is a brilliant idea! Id say this to clients instead of the answer phone message. Then you can take bookings for the following weeks/month :) Hope your doggies better soon :) xx

I really hope your dog recovers quickly - poor little mite!

On a work front - i'd take phone calls but when people phone just say you're fully booked up until (insert date). This could actually help your business because then they might realise they need to book in advance to get in with you.

Take care x

personally I wouldnt leave an answerphone message. When clients call, I would just say Im sorry, Im fully booked! Can I fit you in for a later date.
Makes you look Extremely popular too! lol

Hope your Dog recovers quickly, Im a Cat person more than a Dog person, but I still understand your concerns. xx

Thank you everyone - good ideas. Will give that a go.

Am glad I asked now as what you all say makes great sense - I think I was feeling overwhelmed by the whole ordeal and it is hard as I have no idea when she may start to get some movement back in her legs so it is hard to put a date on when I could start working again fully.

Think I will start by saying am fully booked for 3 weeks and see how it all goes.

Thanks again.

I am in agreement with the others. I am still just setting up and had a situation the week before last where my Summerhouse flooded. The same day I had a lady call and ask if she could come NOW for Shellac. I just said that unfortunately I was fully booked and couldn't fit her in until the following week (this was on a Friday). This way I could look like I was busy rather than sitting around for the phone to ring, I didn't need to mention anything about the flooding as that wouldn't interest a client in the slightest and it would bide me time to get everything cleaned up and sorted over the weekend should she have booked an appointment. She didn't sadly as she wanted it done there and then but majority of people would like the fact you seem to be busy, as others have said, and would think You're the one to go to.

So yes, I wouldn't explain anything and would just say, I am fully booked until XXX should I get a cancellation I will give you a call (then that way, should you get an hour or 2 that you could fit someone in you can and give you some leeway) and leave it at that.

Hope your dog is ok :sad: xxxx

personally I wouldnt leave an answerphone message. When clients call, I would just say Im sorry, Im fully booked! Can I fit you in for a later date.
Makes you look Extremely popular too! lol

Hope your Dog recovers quickly, Im a Cat person more than a Dog person, but I still understand your concerns. xx

I agree with this. You can answer calls whilst your dog is recovering so just say that you have no spaces available until whatever date you want. This sounds better to your clients and will encourage them to rebook before leaving you next time.

Having had 2 major spinal surgeries myself in the last 2 years I wish your little dog a speedy and successful recovery. :wink2:

Having had 2 major spinal surgeries myself in the last 2 years I wish your little dog a speedy and successful recovery. :wink2:

Aww, thank you.

Hope you have recovered well too!

Latest posts

Back