New client a potential nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdnails

Reaction score
I feel awful writing this as I've never even met this woman but i had a lady booked in today who I had to cancel.

She's been messaging me every day for the last 3 weeks and if I don't reply within a few minutes she rings me and leaves endless voicemails, minutes long, literally talking to herself then texts me saying I've left you a voicemail please reply..

I've been put off her/warned by a couple of clients that she is really clingy and always asks for money off (they both work in retail and she is known for going in their shop and bothering them a lot) and apparently is a bit of a stalker... I feel so mean but I really don't feel up to having a client like this on my hands I've already got a couple of difficult ones and being mobile I thought one of be benefits were being able to choose our clients!?

So anyway I cancelled her today but she is booked in for a few weeks time as well and I really want to cancel that but I don't know how to approach it..I don't want to offend her. I've given her someone else's number as she can fit her in on Monday when she's asking me to reschedule her but she'd rather wait for me because she 'knows me'...I've never met her!? She's even requested me as a friend on Facebook and tried to follow my personal Instagram!!

Any advice please? I know I'm probably going to get shouted at for not giving her the benefit of the doubt but genuinely asking for advice on how I could let her know I can't do her nails but politely. :/
Thanks!

I would politely say you are not taking on new clients at the moment. She sounds a pain! Good luck!

I don't think there's a polite way of telling someone something that in my opinion is impolite...

Yes, she might be a little irritating, she might be a bit needy but a) you haven't met her, people come across completely differently sometimes in person, she could be lovely b) she could potentially get you more work in future c) she's willing to pay your wage.

Unless you're rushed off your feet I don't think lying about fitting someone is a particularly healthy way to run a business... reply to what you need to and explain you've been busy working, maybe even tell her you can only reply between certain hours..

We all have clients we don't particularly like but that's part and parcel of the job... unless of course I'm the one doing it all wrong and I should have got rid of them all years ago!! :lol:

I would of started by not replying to her straight away, setting the ground rules and she might of moved on by herself. I have a client like this, she would ring the salon all the time asking question after question, then changing last minute. I have to be very abrupt with her as she wants all my time even while her colour is processing and I am with another client.Shes a lot better now though. Good luck x

I think you have every right to pick and
Choose your clients.
She's not paying for the time spent on the phone or texting/messaging.

Personally experience has taught me clients like this are a pain in the A! However much you charge them, it won't be worth the time spent appeasing them.

With clients like this, I tend to quote full whack for everything, I.e £30 for l&p full set plus £23 for shellac on top
Plus £1 per nail for art/glitter and then plus however much for Swarovskis etc and it usually puts them off! Whereas usually I charge £10 extra for shellac over l&p and usually chuck in glitter
Or a bit of stamping/art x

I think you have every right to pick and
Choose your clients.
She's not paying for the time spent on the phone or texting/messaging.

Personally experience has taught me clients like this are a pain in the A! However much you charge them, it won't be worth the time spent appeasing them.

With clients like this, I tend to quote full whack for everything, I.e £30 for l&p full set plus £23 for shellac on top
Plus £1 per nail for art/glitter and then plus however much for Swarovskis etc and it usually puts them off! Whereas usually I charge £10 extra for shellac over l&p and usually chuck in glitter
Or a bit of stamping/art x

I agree to an extent but she hasn't even met this lady, some people are odd and sometimes nervy about meeting new people and show it in funny ways.

Sent from my XT890 using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ladies. I've just got in from work now and have two new voicemails off her both saying pretty much the same thing! How she's absolutely desperate and doesn't want anyone but me! Don't get me wrong I'm flattered but she is so time consuming! And like is said above I'm not being paid for all this time she's taking up. I should have been more abrupt with her from the start I'm just worried now that she's booked in for 19th and I don't know how to get out of it :/ she thinks she qualifies as a regular because she's already booked in!

I can't stand people that send text after text if you don't reply 😩

I don't think there is any problem with politely saying you aren't taking on new clients, and if she asks why you booked her in the first place you could say you didn't think it would be such a squeeze to get your clients booked etc.

I see what the other ladies are saying about it but at the end of the day you have to think about your safety if you are going to be in someone's home and people have told you she can be a bit stalkery!

Thanks ladies. I've just got in from work now and have two new voicemails off her both saying pretty much the same thing! How she's absolutely desperate and doesn't want anyone but me! Don't get me wrong I'm flattered but she is so time consuming! And like is said above I'm not being paid for all this time she's taking up. I should have been more abrupt with her from the start I'm just worried now that she's booked in for 19th and I don't know how to get out of it :/ she thinks she qualifies as a regular because she's already booked in!
Good luck with her, whatever you decide to do!! :)

I can't stand people that send text after text if you don't reply 😩

I don't think there is any problem with politely saying you aren't taking on new clients, and if she asks why you booked her in the first place you could say you didn't think it would be such a squeeze to get your clients booked etc.

I see what the other ladies are saying about it but at the end of the day you have to think about your safety if you are going to be in someone's home and people have told you she can be a bit stalkery!

Exactly. It's not just the fact that she's being annoying I can deal with a little bit of pestering if someone's genuinely nervous about their treatment it's that I've been warned by two people that she's a bit odd and stalker ish..

One of the girls has just text me and sent me all of the messages she has sent her about me quizzing her if I have been ill or ever cancelled on her before..she has sent her about 6/7 long messages stressing out that I cancelled today.

I'm just going to text her and say what was suggested before that I didn't realise it would be such a tight squeeze. As harsh as it sounds she'll get over it..eventually.
I went into being self employed because id taken a lot of rubbish off my last boss I didn't want anymore hassle that I couldn't get away from..I can't stand people who think I'm working for them when I'm doing their nails and try to dictate everything!

Thanks for the advice though ladies :)

It sounds like she is sending you an extraordinary amount of texts and I can understand why you are feeling wary.

Maybe text her back, apologise for the delay in responding, and advise her that with regret you have to cancel her next appointment as you double-booked yourself and are unable to offer any further appointments at the moment and cannot to commit to any new or newish clients at this time.

Confirm that the therapist who's number you have already given her will take good care of her and wish her well. Kind regards etc.

Don't say anything more than you need to say, and don't feel you have to give lengthy explanations.

Good luck!!

It sounds like she is sending you an extraordinary amount of texts and I can understand why you are feeling wary.

Maybe text her back, apologise for the delay in responding, and advise her that with regret you have to cancel her next appointment as you double-booked yourself and are unable to offer any further appointments at the moment and cannot to commit to any new or newish clients at this time.

Confirm that the therapist who's number you have already given her will take good care of her and wish her well. Kind regards etc.

Don't say anything more than you need to say, and don't feel you have to give lengthy explanations.

Good luck!!

Thank you Jacquelineanna :) I feel a lot better knowing I'm not necessarily horrible for being wary I really do love my job and have so many amazing clients but you know when you get a feeling someone's going to be trouble!

I'll send it in the morning as I know if I message her now I'll get hassle all night probably even phone calls. 🙈

What a strange way to behave :/ why wpuld you hassle someone that much

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

What a strange way to behave :/ why wpuld you hassle someone that much

I know..she's freaking me out she's now messaged the other girl I know asking when I last did her nails. I'm going to have to tell her to stop. I've been back and forth with both girls now apologising for them being involved..they've said they don't mind they are used to her now and this is exactly why they warned me away from her. What a nightmare!!

Last edited:
Hope you don't have any more troubles! I used to have a mother and daughter duo who used to try and get my prices lower and lower and would send me drunk texts at 3am if they broke a nail because they slammed their hand into a door while drunk.
I dropped them both soon after their 3rd appointment!

Hope you don't have any more troubles! I used to have a mother and daughter duo who used to try and get my prices lower and lower and would send me drunk texts at 3am if they broke a nail because they slammed their hand into a door while drunk.
I dropped them both soon after their 3rd appointment!

Oh my god I don't blame you! Some people eh. I text her and said I'm not taking any new clients on and I suggested she finds someone else and she replied saying she doesn't understand why I'm still doing the other two girls if I can't do hers all she wants is a gel polish which takes about an hour why can't I squeeze her in!
I just replied and said I'm really sorry but I've told you I can't fit you in when you want and that I can't be replying to this amount of texts all day as it's taking up a lot of time and gave her a few numbers of other places. Then she just said 'I'll wait til your taking clients on after Xmas then' !!!??? I've had enough lol. Didn't reply and heard nothing so MAYBE she's got the hint :/

She sounds like a complete nutter and not someone I would want on my books.

Get rid of her whatever way you can!

Good luck

Oh my god I don't blame you! Some people eh. I text her and said I'm not taking any new clients on and I suggested she finds someone else and she replied saying she doesn't understand why I'm still doing the other two girls if I can't do hers all she wants is a gel polish which takes about an hour why can't I squeeze her in!
I just replied and said I'm really sorry but I've told you I can't fit you in when you want and that I can't be replying to this amount of texts all day as it's taking up a lot of time and gave her a few numbers of other places. Then she just said 'I'll wait til your taking clients on after Xmas then' !!!??? I've had enough lol. Didn't reply and heard nothing so MAYBE she's got the hint :/

I hate it when people say "can you squeeze me in" no space means no space.... anywhere!

Complete loon, i would get rid.

Fast. Xx

Latest posts

Back