New client who gel peeled off nails!!!!!!!???????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nailrooms

Reaction score
Hi

I had a brand new client who as I was doing Hollywood fingers on her (gel overlays on natural nail) she told me nail varnish peels off her nails the next day...... I did her nails they looked beautiful and she was really pleased, 2 days later and she text me to say they are all starting to peel off. I have other Gel clients who this doesn't happen to and I did nothing different. Is there some sort of nail condition that can cause this???? help please to restore my confidence.

Thanks The Nail Rooms
:rolleyes:

Hi, My sister is just the same, no matter what she has on her nails I can guarentee it will have peeled off in a few days, she has tried lots of different systems both, gel, L&P, they both do it, the L&P stays for a bit longer but it is still all off within the two weeks. She just seems to have really oily nail beds and even with double extra careful prep it still happens. Everyones nails are different I guess but I would really like to know if anyone has ever managed to stop this happening on such clients.

o.o i dunno lol sounds like it isnt too bad though, im sure you did a spectacular job on her*pats you on the back*cheer up :)

You have to get her in, so you can look at them. There could be problems with prep, bulbs, application or to thin a layer, but if none other is having problems, then she might be helping them peel off!

Some people have a lot more oil and moist in nails, but as far as I'm aware, if you do a proper prep it shouldn't be a problem because the product has adhered to the clean surface (correct me if wrong peeps)

Only other thing is some medications can contribute to lifting, but a long way from lifting to peeling of...

Last edited:
There is a myth that when some women with high levels of oestrogen (sp?) have gel nails then they dont bond well! Is she on the pill? have PCOS?
How about double scrubfresh, nail fresh 2 fingers at a time?

Sadly I experience the same problem on my own nails.
Everything easily peels off within a few days no matter what I do, ESPECIALLY when it comes to NNO. My nails are extremely thin (so thin, I cut my own skin!), so I'm guessing that's why? They always either peel off or my nails break inside the gel... :(

if a client has really thin nails [like myself] they do sometimes seperate from the gel because the natural nail is so flexible.

i find this problem can be overcome by building a good vertical apex[like a spine down the centre of the nail] this makes the nail more ridgid and prevents flex somewhat and that helps hugely.

Sometimes the client can have oily nail plates so the best thing is to use a primer which helps the product to adhere to the nail. This may help you
corey x

If she is on thyroid medication or has a thyroid problem, the gel will peel off. You could ask her.

Sometimes the use of heavy body lotion or hand cream by the client before they come to you can be the problem

Try and do her nails again. This time, ask her to thoroughly wash her hands and scrub her nails with the nail brush. Then sanitise them really well with an alcohol based sanitiser and also clean them really well underneath.

I used to have a client like this and I discovered the problem was her body lotion.
She had traces of body lotion under her nails and even though I sanitised them first, when I capped the free edge, the lotion was pushing the product away and also getting on my brush.

Gina xxxx

If she is on thyroid medication or has a thyroid problem, the gel will peel off. You could ask her.

i have a thyroid problem and dont have a problem with my gel nails :green:

i havent heard of this?

what gel are you using?

are you new to gel?

Are all the 'other' customers experiencing this or just her?

Not all gels suit EVERYONE....try and trouble shoot what it could be...if everyone else is ok, perhaps shes a picker?

Remember not all clients tell the 'absolute truth':wink2::wink2:

i have a thyroid problem and dont have a problem with my gel nails :green:

i havent heard of this?

what gel are you using?

are you new to gel?

Are all the 'other' customers experiencing this or just her?

Not all gels suit EVERYONE....try and trouble shoot what it could be...if everyone else is ok, perhaps shes a picker?

Remember not all clients tell the 'absolute truth':wink2::wink2:

Hi Minkus,
Not sure if the questions were all for me but...

I use Akzentz gel and was trained over 4 years ago with Akzentz so no, I'm not new to gel.

I was taught this in my training and of course it's not a "one size fits all" answer but it is definitely a possibility. I have 3 clients with thyroid problems...two of them it peels off and one is fine.

Please keep in mind this is for actual peeling, not lifting. If lifting is the problem, then this would not be the cause.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back