New file or sanitise each time?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
For a while I have been wondering what to do with files after each treatment.

After treatments I know you can sanitise the file and re-use, but do you think it looks a bit skankie to pull out an obviously used file on a client?
What I mean is, bare with me...:lol:
Do you use a file sanitise it seal it up in a bag marked for that client and only use on them?
Or...
Sanitise and use on the next client?
Or bin it and start fresh every treatment?

Bombarding you all today hey?!?:lol:

I sanitise my files after use, and ditch them as and when they need replacing, or immediately following a nail service where the client has or shows signs of bacterial aka "the dreaded greenie" or fungal infections.

It would be an extremely costly exercise to replace them after each service or to retain them for each individual client IMO.

HTH's Ria :hug:

I sanitise mine and use a stiff nail brush on them aswell. Some of my files are washable and I use antibacterial wash on them as well as sanitising.

I brush , wash then sanitise my files after use.
I always begin a rebalance with a new file then change to an older one when I get nearer the natural nail.
I also use my older files for a new set as you only need them for shaping.:hug:

Sorry but I bin them, I can't be bothered to store them and even sanitised I don't like the look of a used file on a new client.
That said, now that I'll be offering popits with the minimal filing, I find myself having a rethink, because the file is practically brand new after a service.
so I think the answer for me is with a traditional service, its got to be a new file but with a popit service, I will probably sanitise.

I santise my files after every client. I do it infront of them so they can see it. It's whilst their hand is in the lamp drying the uv topcoat.
Every client see me do this, like a ritual. Some even say that it's nice to see.
I use a stiff manicure brush to remove all loose debris & spray with Chlori-spray or Salon Systems Anti bac & anti fungal nail file spray.
I then put the files back into my file holder on my desk (stainless steel mini basket).
I offer the file to the client if I catch them with a new file (cleaned & sprayed) or throw them out, even though they are new! Thank god this does not happen too often!
When my files get worn (Not catch anyone with them either), I replace them with new

I have a new file for every client and give them it away at the end of the treatment or throw it away. I personally wouldnt go somewhere if they reused nail files on other people (or on their toes) so I dont do it. I dont think sanitising them is enough, and you can get them so cheap and build it into the cost of the treatment!

I re-use them too....and my files are white so they don't "look" used....i know they are sanitised and so do my clients.

New files are used for heavy work and used files are used for new sets.

As soon as they are no longer effective i bin them.

I have tried both methods. Calgel market a plastic wallet which contains a variety of grit files for each client. I did trial this, but found it an expensive option. So I now sanitise after each and every client. I do use a new file each time for rebalance.

I sanitise after each client. I do it in front of my client and they seem to like it. I also santise all of my instruments in front of them ~ the different heads of my Jessica machine being most of them xx

A new file for each client, brushed, sprayed and kept in their own individual file for next time and I step down 'used' for final finishing each time. When it's had 2 or 3 goes it goes in the bin or I give it to the client if they want one. Usually the bin though

I use a new file each time as reusing files is not permitted by the Ministry of Health Ontario, unless the client keeps the files in between visits and I don't like that idea.

New file each time for me and the client can take it home with them if they wish.

I tend to sanitise rather than throw away or give away. Just wondering for all of you who throw away, do you throw away all off your files and buffers. may sound like a silly question, i'm fairly new to enhancements but i use 3 different files for each client, thats pretty costly, or do you have files with different grits on each side, i use 150/150 180/180 and 240/220 files

New file and buffer for each.
California does not acknowlege sanitizable.

I have 2 containers.. marked clean and used.. when i use one it goes in the used container.. at the end of the day i brush of any dust.. scrub with hot soapy water.. then i brush with my disinfectant.. leave to air dry then they go in the clean container.
I have a tea tree aerosol spray that a client who is a chemist gives me, i spray files to be used infront of clients before i start.
If i nick skin i give it to the client or bend it in half and throw it away.. as i do with any that are no good anymore.
little tip i got from mellissaQ and it works for me... i find files that have been used better for finishing then new ones..
If i am rebalancing i pull out a new file.. that will then go into the rotation.

I have just received the file and abrasive disinfectant spray from Mundo, bactericidal, fungicidal and viricidal and it smells really good. x

I sanitise mine but I have got a big box of new ones just incase, but when they start to really bend and have not got alot of grip left that's when I change x :)

I always use a new file for every client!

You can use a disinfection products like Mundo file & abrasive disinfectant spray, but you have to make sure that the file is 100% clean that there are no debries left on it and have it been in touch with blood it must be throw out.

Latest posts

Back